• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Redwood Fungal Ride? (N. CA ride and camp in October)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes. I just put it in my date book. I don't know you guys, but if you don't mind me tagging along, I would love to.

I will be riding through there tomorrow on my way to San Fran.
I loooove Hwy 1 between Legget and Sonoma. For camping there's great camping at Big Lagoon, Patricks point and Smith River. Arcata has a little sauna spot, Cafe Mocha, (with hot tubs too) if the weather is nasty and we need to warm up.

If people are heading through my area (Medford/ Ashland) I have living room floor and backyard camping spots.

Just tell me the time and place, thanks for making the arrangements.

REPLY to BURNZILLA

Yes, Hwy 36 is a wonderful unpredictable twisty road. Also Hwy 96 between 299 (Willow Creek) and I-5, along the Klammath river, is a must do.

However, Hwy 1 and some of the roads around Yosemite, by Mariposa, are my favorites so far for California.

Honu said:
REPLY to BURNZILLA

Yes, Hwy 36 is a wonderful unpredictable twisty road. Also Hwy 96 between 299 (Willow Creek) and I-5, along the Klammath river, is a must do.

However, Hwy 1 and some of the roads around Yosemite, by Mariposa, are my favorites so far for California.

That stretch of 96 has bad juju.

52.jpg

So it is the 21-23rd right? I can do that, but not the 14-15 (Got a Traumatic Brain injury course to do at the hospital) -Gotta love the TBI.
I'm hopin' your still talkin' the 21-23 dates, there was some back and forth at the beginning of this thread and I wanted to make sure.
Thanks.

Honu said:
So it is the 21-23rd right? I can do that, but not the 14-15 (Got a Traumatic Brain injury course to do at the hospital) -Gotta love the TBI.
I'm hopin' your still talkin' the 21-23 dates, there was some back and forth at the beginning of this thread and I wanted to make sure.
Thanks.

:nod

Dick said:
I don't care if knary invites the Warlocks as long as they bring plenty of meth and mushrooms. :groovy

Dick, on the 20th (around 4 or so), I need you to call the office. Now this
part is important. You are my Spirtual Advisor--that'll work. Last time "hey
can Ian come out and play?" didn't work so well :D

Alternatively, we could meet of Mexican and I could take a day or
two and blame it on that...

Thanks!
Ian

I'd have voted for hwy 96 in there too, that is until knary ruined it for us.

Smith River hwy 199 is nice upto the Oregon border but then get pretty flat and straight.

Hwy 3? Don't know, never been on that one, 'cept maybe before I-5 was built and I was suckin' my thumb in the back seat.

Hwy 36, haven't been through there in years, I'm game.

Hwy 1 from Hardy to legget was an absolute blast in the 330ci, wouldn't mind doing that section on the GS. :D

ian408 said:
Dick, on the 20th (around 4 or so), I need you to call the office. Now this
part is important. You are my Spirtual Advisor--that'll work. Last time "hey
can Ian come out and play?" didn't work so well :D

Alternatively, we could meet of Mexican and I could take a day or
two and blame it on that...

Thanks!
Ian

Hey Ian :wave

I am voting for the burritto express

dick

Hwy 3

Have done it between Yureka and Weaverville, mostly sweepers through nice country. Scott Valley (i have heard) is paved and pretty tight. There is a dandy road between Happy Camp (on 96) and Obrian (on 199 in Oregon). :bikes

KBasa said:
Jeez, half the folks replying here are ADVfolks.

I say bring it. Maybe we can turn those guys into a chartered club at long last.

That would be like having the Rounders as a chartered club. :eek

More Camping Space

Looking around I found this place (in the Redwoods Nat Park) for another choice up north and close to Eureka.

Patrick's Point SP

Patrick's Point SP

It's open year round and it's first come first serve after September 5th.

It's 25-miles north of Eureka off Hwy 101

Wedding Rock

SFDOC said:
Looking around I found this place (in the Redwoods Nat Park) for another choice up north and close to Eureka.

Patrick's Point SP

Patrick's Point SP

It's open year round and it's first come first serve after September 5th.

I proposed to my wife there :hug (we were on a tour on the R75/5!) The location is on a promontory of black sea cliffs over a roiling ocean. One time (back in the day) the surf was so large there, banging against the rocks, that it registered on the seismigraph at Humboldt State 15 miles away. Great spot.

That place is, as Bob said, amazing. But it's also usually very wet in October. A little further south will still possibly be cold and wet, but probably not raining.

Scott why did you mention the "R" word?

Scott, if it's raining it's going to be raining everywhere. Lets hope it's not raining. It's only 86-miles apart, just another idea, or one more place to stay.

Question, this is a predominately 'pavement' ride, yes?

SFDOC said:
Scott, if it's raining it's going to be raining everywhere. Lets hope it's not raining. It's only 86-miles apart, just another idea, or one more place to stay.

You can get there any old way you'd like. :D

I'll probably be hauling ass up 101 on Saturday.

SFDOC said:

Pavement-ish. :D

As for the rain, that area marks a boundary between the wet NW and the drier CA coast. A little further south is less mountainous and drier.

Back