• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear shock spring weight for R75/6

spencer_p

Hi, I'm replacing the shocks on my 1974 R75/6. I'm looking at some Girling shocks (because can get a good price on them), and there are two spring weight/spring load options: 110lbs and 126lbs. Any opinions about which would be best suited for this bike? I don't ride with a passenger, weigh about 150lbs without gear, and will occasionally have luggage but likely not more than about 75lbs, I'd guess. Thanks!

I recently purchased fork springs for my race bike. For each spring rate offered, there was a corresponding rider weight associated. Does Girling list a range of rider weight corresponding with the spring rate. For example, spring rate 126 is for riders/gear over 180 pounds?

I'm wondering if those spring rates are pretty low. The Ikon Suspension website shows they recommend the 7610-1298 spring for the R75/6 and if I read their table right, they have a spring rate of 235 lbs/in. Maybe this is an apples-oranges comparison, but spring rate is spring rate.

Does the Girling catalog or website help out? I couldn't seem to find anything except for British bikes.

I'm wondering if those spring rates are pretty low. The Ikon Suspension website shows they recommend the 7610-1298 spring for the R75/6 and if I read their table right, they have a spring rate of 235 lbs/in. Maybe this is an apples-oranges comparison, but spring rate is spring rate.

Does the Girling catalog or website help out? I couldn't seem to find anything except for British bikes.

Yeah not a ton of info out there on Girling... But if you are correct about the Ikons, then it seems they'll be much too soft even at 126lbs. Can you send me the link to that Ikon table?

I don't know a ton about suspensions. I bought some Koni's, not Ikon's, many years ago and they were the equivalent of the -1298 shock. I should probably get new ones after 75K miles!! But there are people like Tom Cutter and Ted Porter who can design a shock for a specific rider and riding style for not much more than an off-the-shelf shock.

Anyway, here's the table show which model Ikon recommends for BMWs:

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/full-ikon-shock-absorber-application-list.pdf

This table has the shock specs. The table column headers are messed up, but I think the middle column of numbers is spring rate:

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/shock-absorber-details/

Are Girlings a primary offering for European bikes - Norton, Triumphs, etc.? If so, maybe the 100/126 are in a different system of units?

I don't know a ton about suspensions. I bought some Koni's, not Ikon's, many years ago and they were the equivalent of the -1298 shock. I should probably get new ones after 75K miles!! But there are people like Tom Cutter and Ted Porter who can design a shock for a specific rider and riding style for not much more than an off-the-shelf shock.

Anyway, here's the table show which model Ikon recommends for BMWs:

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/full-ikon-shock-absorber-application-list.pdf

This table has the shock specs. The table column headers are messed up, but I think the middle column of numbers is spring rate:

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/shock-absorber-details/

Are Girlings a primary offering for European bikes - Norton, Triumphs, etc.? If so, maybe the 100/126 are in a different system of units?

Thank you! Yes Girlings are more common with the British bikes. I think I've convinced myself not to cheap out and risk getting a shock that's just not set up right for my Airhead... Now the question is whether I splurge on Ikons or go a little cheaper with YSS or Hagon.

Now the question is whether I splurge on Ikons or go a little cheaper with YSS or Hagon.

It's been a while since I looked at prices, but I thought it was the other way around. To me, Ikons are more pedestrian while the others tended to be more expensive. I've looked at what Tom Cutter has to offer and if I were to look down at the bottom of the list or for something that fit my style, it wasn't much different than Ikons. And Tom Cutter used to race an S1000RR in one of the senior divisions in the northeast. The guy really does know his suspension stuff.

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/racephotos.html

Note: I have no stock in Tom's business...I'm not even a satisfied customer...yet!

I’ve had suspension by Wilbers built for my oilhead, courtesy of Ted Porter. Also had the Konis on my K/eml rebuilt by Ikon. In both cases a night and day difference in handling.
With Ikon’s work, they disassembled, analyzed and let me know they’re recommendations. That included photos of each suspension unit disassembled and estimate to rebuild. On the hack there were five, with different springs and spring rates. They also had the dampening set up perfectly. Can’t say enough good about them. If I were to replace stock rear suspension on an airhead, I’d bite the bullet and price the Ikons.
Good luck with the Girlings. I had them on three Triumphs in the early seventies. Meh...
Whatever you do, hope you’re back on the road soon.

Back