• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

rear shock options

brant914

Hi again and hoping to benefit from all of your knowledge

I'm restoring a 1971 R75/5
I've cleaned, painted, and polished the stock rear shocks and coil springs..

I realized, I really just need to buy new shocks since I'm worried about the Short Wheel Base wobble... and want to get everything as safe as can be.
so I'm happy to buy shocks.

the project looks really stock
so I was drawn to the IKON Heritage type of shocks with the chrome covers that look a lot like the stock version

but I'm reading in feedback... that the coil spring is slightly large in diameter and causes a LOUD rub inside of the chrome/polished covers
and some of the feedback is that they are too annoying to use.

Does anyone have positive experience using these IKON heritage style (stockish looking) rear shocks?

is there another option out there that look close to stock?

thanks in advance for any advice
brant

Ikon

I have a set on my RT, they are great shocks, I have not heard anything about the springs rubbing inside the covers, mine don't. St.

that is really good to hear.

the feedback was on Bob's BMW website..
a couple of customers that purchased had that experience... one guy even pulled the shocks and sent them back for a 2nd set that did the same thing...
so good to hear a positive experience!

Lol

LOL, maybe they do rattle and rub, I can't hear them, too many years of riding and shooting despite hearing protection, I have lost most of my hearing. Plus I wear earplugs when I ride. Anyway, I don't see any signs of malfunction. St.

I have the Ikons with the covers on my R90S. No problems with fit or noise. Bought them from Bob's.

I have the Icons and the complaints are valid, if not serious enough to not buy them. On idle they make a bit of a ringing sound. After some use they have wear spots in the spring coating. Really, the biggest con is they are too heavily sprung for my weight. In gear I'm at 220 pounds, so I feel it's a poor spring choice by Icon. If there were spring rate options, I was not aware.

In the end my bike is for weekend jaunts of no more than 150 miles. I can live with the Icons, but they could certainly be improved. But they do look the part.

I restore a set of Konis this summer and have to say they are much stiffer then the shocks I took off. Tempted to put the Progressives back on. 1981 R100RT
Where are you located?

order

When I ordered my ikons, I got the option of spring rate for weight and such. Sorry, I can't remember were I got them, might have been Ikon direct. I have progressive springs and shocks on my RS and I didn't get a choice of options, they are fine as well but are not adjustable for rebound and are a bit stiffer than the ikons on my RT. St.

Shocks

Hi again and hoping to benefit from all of your knowledge

I'm restoring a 1971 R75/5
I've cleaned, painted, and polished the stock rear shocks and coil springs..

I realized, I really just need to buy new shocks since I'm worried about the Short Wheel Base wobble... and want to get everything as safe as can be.
so I'm happy to buy shocks.

the project looks really stock
so I was drawn to the IKON Heritage type of shocks with the chrome covers that look a lot like the stock version

but I'm reading in feedback... that the coil spring is slightly large in diameter and causes a LOUD rub inside of the chrome/polished covers
and some of the feedback is that they are too annoying to use.

Does anyone have positive experience using these IKON heritage style (stockish looking) rear shocks?

is there another option out there that look close to stock?

thanks in advance for any advice
brant

My experience;i got a set of Koni's for an R65 from Ebay. I buffed up and used the stock shrouds. They fit fine. A bit stiffer that the stock Boge(?). No rubbing that I can see or ringing that I can hear and they are adjustable.

Back