• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Karcoma Petcock questions

brant914

New day with new questions....
this time regarding the petcocks on my 1971 R75/5

3 questions... these are a mess, they had no strainers, and no filter, and missing some of the pick up tubes

1st question: I don't see the pick up tubes available in the diagrams with Max or Bob's (1 short/reserve, and 1 long). Can I find plastic tubing at the hardware store... or has anyone ever replaced these before?

2nd question: On the same tank tubes referenced above. One side of my petcock's has 2 large diameter tubes sticking out of it. The other side petcock is missing the short tube, and the long tube is a smaller diameter than the first side. Are
the right and left supposed to have different size of tube? I pulled the large diameter from the 1st petcock and it does not fit into the 2nd one... so maybe the 2 different sizes are supposed to be different right to left?

3rd and final question. Upon taking one apart... the spring pictured in the parts diagram is not in mine. Mine has a couple of wavy spring washers stacked under the lever instead of a coil spring. did some years not use the coil? or did a
previous owner "fix" this before I got it?

thank you everyone
I really appreciate the help and education
brant

Attachments

• IMG_7882.jpg
    IMG_7882.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 176
Snowbum has a good section on petcocks here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuelfltrs&petcocks.htm

The internal tubes have been discussed over the years. He talks about various sources for that...mostly hobby stores. Your model had no internal strainers. And there should be a long and short tube. The heights can be somewhat standard, but they can be "adjusted" to what you want. I don't know the length of the tubes in my /7 tank, but I go on reserve at around 4.6 gallons and I have maybe 0.75 gallons on each reserve. I don't know what that relates to as heights of tubes.

I can tell you I like the resolute "click" of Karcoma petcocks when they are in working order. Good "clicks" at 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions.

Kurt, Everyone,

thanks for the direction
I'll get some new straws on ebay

and do some more reading today

still puzzled that the straws on right vs left petcocks seem to have different diameters
but hopefully I'll be able to figure that out in my reading and research today

thanks
brant

Strainers

You should find the strainers sort of attached to the plastic nipples.

More Petcock questions... I'm sorry for bugging you guys

something is a little off on my project
I'm wondering if one of the petcocks has been changed to an earlier or later model?

buying a used one on ebay may be a pathway forward

so here are the pictures
both are clearly marked Karcoma

but the straws inside the tank, are clearly of different size for the R vs. the L
the large straws (I bought new ones thanks guys) do not fit into the 2nd petcock which requires smaller diameter straws

also the 2nd Petcock had no coil spring... but a very thin wave washer inside

anyone have any idea if this is correct, or from an incorrect year?
I assume the straw size and coil internal spring should have been the same right to left

thanks for more input
brant

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 80
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 79
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 79
and I just thought of another question

how do I tell which is R and which is L ?
incase I buy a used one, I want to get the correct side
thanks
brant

If the nipple points straight down then there is no left or right side! The 90 degree petcocks have the strainer inside, covering the long and short tubes. From the factory, the nipples pointed to the rear.

If the nipple points straight down then there is no left or right side! The 90 degree petcocks have the strainer inside, covering the long and short tubes. From the factory, the nipples pointed to the rear.

Thank you !

off to ebay and find a match to one of what I already have
brant

no leaks!

Make sure you provide a nice flat surface on the ring on top of the petcock that contacts the fuel tank/gasket before you reassemble.

Last edited:
Thank you !

off to ebay and find a match to one of what I already have
brant

Be aware, used off of ebay may require rebuilding anyway. I just purchased a new pair from EME with a meter of new fuel line. They are 90's, right and left, but they're new and the new fuel line will give me what I need to make the 90s.

Be aware, used off of ebay may require rebuilding anyway. I just purchased a new pair from EME with a meter of new fuel line. They are 90's, right and left, but they're new and the new fuel line will give me what I need to make the 90s.

The Petcock from Ebay came
the threads were gone or nearly gone on the large nut that attaches to the tank
of course I stripped it trying to reassemble... should never have bothered with it given how bad the threads were

a 2nd used ebay petcock is on the way... it showed nice threads in the photo
so hopefully this one will work after polishing 4 total so far.
brant

Back