• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on Koni Shocks for R75/6

wlm88

I am thinking of getting me a pair of Koni shocks, the ones with the R75/6 ook. GOOD, BAD or jut Ugly? Rebuilding master cylinder, caliper, and front suspension at the same time was thinking about buying progressive springs for the front also ordered a black Spiegler Stainless brake hose. Everything on it is from 75. I took the front disk off today and rugged it up on the bench wirebrush.20230114_150710.jpg

As Paul said, Koni shocks aren't made anymore. You can get the form/fit/function Ikon shock...I might be wrong, but they took over the product line and changed the name. I think Bob's BMW sells a shock that still incorporates the aluminum "can" around the spring for the look. There are custom shock builders...Tom Cutter and Ted Porter both offer a line of shocks that can be designed for your riding style.

I put Ikons (Koni with the “I” as the first letter instead of the last) on my 1975 R90S and the fit, perform and look like stock. I got mine from Bob’s and they offer them with or without the aluminum cover like you have now.

I believe they are the only shocks that look like the originals.

I didn't know they were still making Koni shocks. Where did you find them?

Meant to say Ikon, so the icons would be an improvement from the OEM I assume since they are 46 years old. How adjustable are the IKONs retro shocks? And what about progressive springs? I try to ride it like my SV but that's pretty difficult, easy to get over confident, this is my first airhead, most comfortable bike I ever had.

Meant to say Ikon, so the icons would be an improvement from the OEM I assume since they are 46 years old. How adjustable are the IKONs retro shocks? And what about progressive springs? I try to ride it like my SV but that's pretty difficult, easy to get over confident, this is my first airhead, most comfortable bike I ever had.

That's the reason I sold my R100 -- I was riding it with the same gusto as the 900SS I had at the time.

I like Ikons; I had them on my last airhead, the R90S. Have a look at RaceTech springs. You can match them to your weight and I think straight wound springs work better than those that are progessively wound. I also had these on the R90S along with Gold Valve Emulators.

Ikon

I have Ikon shocks with the adjustable damping on my 84 RT. I don't remember where I bought them, but they have the covers. For my riding style they are perfectly fine and they didn't cost a load of money. St.

I am thinking of getting me a pair of Koni shocks, the ones with the R75/6 ook. GOOD, BAD or jut Ugly? Rebuilding master cylinder, caliper, and front suspension at the same time was thinking about buying progressive springs for the front also ordered a black Spiegler Stainless brake hose. Everything on it is from 75. I took the front disk off today and rugged it up on the bench wirebrush.View attachment 90611

The IKON's (used to be KONI) are great for replacement shocks. The only downside is that the rebound adjuster is hard to reach as it's on the top and interferes with the top mounting bolt.

Dampening

In all honesty, I really didn't need to go the few extra bucks to get the adjustable dampening shocks. I fooled around with it when I first installed them and found the first setting was fine for my liking. Funny, mine are pretty easy to adjust, I don't recall having any issue with the top bolt? I will have to look at them the next time I have the bags off. St.

New modern tread design tires will make a world of difference. Progressive springs on a prior / 6 I had were too stiff and harsh, perhaps a litter stiffer spring than stock will help.

Back