• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Brake Overhaul - 83 R100RT

nevada72

Vintage User
I'll start off with the usual, did a search, found some useful information, could use a little more, etc......

So while I wait for my points gap tool to arrive (turns out the bike has the bean can with Hall sensor, so not needed) I am doing other things to the bike, like bleeding the brakes. Fronts, no issue (although they do seem a bit spongy to me). Back - no go. And I tried everything - Mity-Vac, reverse bleed, hang caliper with nipple on top......no matter what I tried I cannot move fluid through the rear brake circuit. When I've had this problem on other bikes (equally notorious for bleeding difficulty) it turned out to be a bad brake line. So considering this bike hasn't had what I would call religious maintenance, I will rebuild the master and replace the lines. Of note, I doubt the back brake has worked in a long while. The pads look brand new and not even slightly worn.

So the questions -

I see many recommendations to replace the oem lines with stainless. Anyone have a good source?

One person mentioned replacing the entire assembly south of the master with one stainless flex line - is that the standard, or retain the hard line?

There was some mention of the master cylinder being impossible to rebuild (albeit by one individual) - is it really that hard? I've rebuilt a few and it never has been an issue.

Any pointers on removing the brake master? After my final unsuccessful attempt at bleeding the brakes, I gave it a quick look and didn't see an obvious way to remove it. I'm sure once I get under there it will become apparent, but any tips on removal would be appreciated.

As an aside, I've really taken on a project with this one. I knew it wasn't put away properly, but it turns out someone in it's past had a love affair with hardware store solutions. The side case rack was held on by bolting it to a Reynolds rack with 1/4-20 carriage bolts. REALLY long 1/4-20 carriage bolts. On the right side this individual used 4 nuts on one bolt! I guess if one is good, 4 is extra good. Especially if they are rusted in place. They also fabricated (I use the term loosely) some sort of extra support from 1 inch flat iron. This was added between the rack and carriers at the rear and seemed to provide no useful support. The Reynolds rack was held at one point by sandwiching it between the shock and the frame, which is probably how it is supposed to go, but no spacers were used at the bottom so the shock was likely binding. But then again, maybe not because on the left side, there was no nut holding the shock on! It was just the bolt going through the frame.

There were other things like the cheap blue plastic quick-splices used to add some now gone accessory (but they left the live open cut off ends exposed). I'm really glad I decided to go through everything on this bike. God only knows what else I will find. But the motor seems sound with 31k miles. The transmission shifts well, especially after the fluid change. I'm thinking once I undo all the evil that befell this poor bike, it will be a pretty nice bike. We'll see.

Again, thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited:
I replaced the 30+yr-old original brake lines on my '84 RT a couple of years ago (no, I wasn't the PO of your bike) with a new set of OEM lines. I tend to doubt that braided lines make that much difference, and these should be good for another three decades. I had changed the fluid every few years, so the rear master was fine; the squishy front MC was replaced entirely; they're brakes--some things I'm just not doing rebuilt. The demographic that bought RTs years ago grew up during the Depression, and it generally shows from the cobbled-together, "good 'nuf" condition that many of them were kept in.

rear brake

Biggest PIA is the bleeding part. When mounted, the caliper bleeder is not at the top so you always end up with air in the system. Pull off the caliper and position the bleeder at the top. Slide in a piece of wood or plexi-glass to simulate the rotor and bleed it that way.

I ordered a new master cylinder rebuild kit and a new oem brake hose. I'm in a situation where when I test assemble the rebuild kit, and insert the plunger/piston assembly to the point where it will be after seating the interference ring, it blocks the reservoir hole and no air can be blown into the master cylinder. But if I back it off, air will pass. I've done a TON of reading on this and I'm pretty sure I have the assembly correct, and I've done other master cylinders (very similar) before with no issues. It feels like the piston assembly is too long, like maybe I got the wrong part. But I compared it to the old part which matches exactly. In fact, the old part still looks pretty darn new. And considering the rear brake pads look basically unused, I have a suspicion that the brake never worked at all. After all, if one blocks the supply orifice, how can it provide fluid to the system?

Here's what I'm working with -
IMG_3003.jpg

Here's a pic from the net showing the order in which I have installed the parts -
mcassembly-1.jpg

And on that same thread (in ADV) someone posted up this pic -
bremborearmastercylinder.jpg

That piston looks shorter to me. Right now, unless someone can show me where I screwed up, I think I need that shorter piston assembly. I ordered it through Bob's, and the guy on the phone didn't offer up options, so I "assumed" it was the correct part.

I would be grateful to be proven wrong so that I can install what I received and get this bike back on the road.

Edit - So I called Bob's to get their insights. There are two different rebuild kits - essentially a 14mm and a 15mm. I measured mine and it's a hair over 14mm and the m/c body has a stamp onit "xx -14", implying it's a 14mm m/c body. Also, there is a date stamp (I think) indicating "81", so 1981. Bob's told me the 15mm kit is for bikes up to 1980, so this all makes sense. Except for the part that it seems to be blocking the orifice.

Last edited:
What's the kit number that you ordered? RealOEM indicates it's 34211242791.

Yup - that's the one I got. Again, maybe I just am missing something. But any master cylinder I have done in the past puts the plunger behind the orifice allowing for fluid to fill the chamber as well as the entire circuit. I can certainly assemble this as delivered, but it places the plunger forward of the orifice and it seems to me that if the orifice is blocked by the piston, it won't allow fluid into the circuit. And again, I would love to be proven wrong.

Ok....a follow up for posterity -

The rebuild kit is correct - no real surprise there. I was also correct, that one should be able to blow air through the orifice, but it wasn't the piston blocking it. It was clogged. Apparently common. There are two orifices - 1 large and one small. The small one is really small. I had to pull the bung out of the top with the supply hose, and use a fairly fine needle (thanks Grandma!) to clear the hole. Then I blasted it with carb cleaner. I then assembled the master cylinder and I was able to blow air through the small orifice (could sound strange in a different context).

With the entire system assembled I was easily able to draw brake fluid through using a 60cc vet syringe sans needle of course. The brakes now work, albeit a little spongy. I'm told that if I wedge a 2x4 over the brake pedal and under the cylinder it will allow air bubbles to escape overnight. i'll report the results later.

. . . So I called Bob's to get their insights. There are two different rebuild kits - essentially a 14mm and a 15mm. I measured mine and it's a hair over 14mm and the m/c body has a stamp onit "xx -14", implying it's a 14mm m/c body. Also, there is a date stamp (I think) indicating "81", so 1981. Bob's told me the 15mm kit is for bikes up to 1980, so this all makes sense. Except for the part that it seems to be blocking the orifice.
It's "a hair over 14mm" because it's actually 9/16 of an inch. 9/16"=14.2875mm, which is nominally 14mm.

It's "a hair over 14mm" because it's actually 9/16 of an inch. 9/16"=14.2875mm, which is nominally 14mm.

Interesting. I wonder why they don't just call it what it is? Because it's a European component on a European bike I would imagine, but still......

Naturally today's weather is less than ideal for riding. I wanted to get the bike warm to set timing and balance the carbs, as well as just test how the brakes work. Oh well.

I have a new BMW 34 32 1 242 767 Rear Disc Brake Hard Line and BMW 34 32 1 242 759 Rear Brake Hose that I can save you some money on if you have an interest. They are available (both) for $45 including shipping.

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-34-32-1-242-759-Rear-Brake/

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-34-32-1-242-767-Rear-Disc-/

I also have a used master cylinder, but I don't know its mileage, or condition other than it does not leak...

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-Rear-Disc-Brake-Control-Assy-75/

I have a new BMW 34 32 1 242 767 Rear Disc Brake Hard Line and BMW 34 32 1 242 759 Rear Brake Hose that I can save you some money on if you have an interest. They are available (both) for $45 including shipping.

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-34-32-1-242-759-Rear-Brake/

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-34-32-1-242-767-Rear-Disc-/

I also have a used master cylinder, but I don't know its mileage, or condition other than it does not leak...

https://beemerphile.smugmug.com/FSBO/FS-Motorcycles/Airhead/BMW-Rear-Disc-Brake-Control-Assy-75/

Thanks but I already bought the stuff from Bob's and installed it.

Back