• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R50/2 Service Manual Recommendations

wdjsinger

I'm new to these bikes and just purchased a R50/2 (probably a 1963 build), and I'm looking for the best service manual to help maintain the bike. At this point, good basic guidance on basic maintenance is most important to me, such as correct fluid types and levels and general mechanical adjustments. I've seen several manuals on the market but would love input from those with experience. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see a picture when you get a chance.

I would offer three different things. First Benchmark Works offers reprints of owners manuals that I remember. They were the go-to for vintage support. Check out the website. They were bought out by MaxBMW recently, but all their inventory is there so worth a check of the website, too. As far as a bit more maintenance, consider the Haynes or Clymer which are somewhat useful but I suspect have some errors. The "big book" for heavy maintenance is put out by Barrington Motor Works. Google that. They have a very large and detailed book on the /2 era.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

I'm new to these bikes and just purchased a R50/2 (probably a 1963 build), and I'm looking for the best service manual to help maintain the bike. At this point, good basic guidance on basic maintenance is most important to me, such as correct fluid types and levels and general mechanical adjustments. I've seen several manuals on the market but would love input from those with experience. Thanks.

You might try getting the factory manuals through a dealer, I'm not sure if they are still available that way but worth a shot. I have 2 versions of them, one in 4 languages and one in English only. I can't find a part number on the English only one however. Both are excellent. But maybe the dealer can run the part number I supplied and get what you need. Not sure of costs, worth every penny no matter what.

Part Number: 90 99 176 1.2 iii/65

I also have the factory owner's manual which is excellent and pretty much covers everything a DIY guy would do on the bike. I can't find a part number for it either.

I am very well connected in the BMW car world, so let me know if I can help you if you strike out.

Back