• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

desmoderek

MotoDruid
Wanting to add extra daytime running lights, fog lamps, air horns, or an extra USB and outlet seem to be a constant for me on every touring and ADV bike I ever own. There never seem to be enough connections to power it all. My last bike, the Triumph Tiger Explorer certainly had the alternator power to sustain all the gadgets, but needed a Fuzeblock FZ-1 to keep each of the battery terminals looking like an octopus. When I sold the bike and took delivery of the GS I removed it all from the Tigger subsequently spent three weeks trying to figure out how to install it all on the GS. For a largish bike there isn't a lot of spare space under the seats, and when you add all the BMW factory options, the space decreases even more...I found a way, but in the process came upon a post about this little device out of SA. The HEX EzCAN. After a few emails over the course of a few weeks I got a response that they have shipped, and I have one on it's way to me now.
They certainly look like a handy gadget with all the customization and automation built in.
My question is "How many others are intending to get one for their LC?"

I am very excited about this device. It is the first true CAN-Bus accessory, and it has enormous potential for both isolating outputs (without the control units complaining) and allowing creative use of the info that has heretofore been kept away from us. I need to get one on order.

I downloaded the software onto an old PC I use in the garage (I usually use a Mac at home,) to see what can be configured.
I'd hoped to be able to play with the channel settings a little more than just having three re-sets.
Here's why.
I run two sets of lights, a set under the turn-signals that are flood lights to provide a nice spread of light at night, and two spot lights lower on the forks to provide distance for the low and high beams. With the first preset I can control the left and right side independently, which is great, but not the top and bottom independently, however the third Channel Mapping option lets you control the lights on a splitter, and as I do not run a rear light, I would have liked the option of being able to configure the four outlets to match purpose, however the complexity needed in writing the software is probably on of the factors, and considering the price point, this thing is already a marvel.

Rewired a bike a few weeks ago which had two sets of aux lights: one to be used with low beam and one to be used with high. By law both can't be on together. Simply tapping off low for one and high for the other isn't a solution because on that bike the low stays on with the high beam. The real solution wasn't so complicated but the ez-CAN seems like a great way to add more logic to problems like that without physically tapping into any existing circuits.

HEX is on the ball on this. It is all that for sure. I am very pleased with mine if you read through the posts I made in the above link.

The driving light channels offer a lot of options for how your driving lights act.

I love:
When you hit a turn signal that side driving light goes out to keep from washing out your turn signal.
When you hit the horn they strobe, man does that wake people up.
Dimming is very cool with ten clicks on the wonder wheel.
When you hit the four ways, they blink then your turn signals blink, so cool.
I do not use the Flash to Pass strobe as I am not sure how drivers will/would react.

Using another channel you get deceleration and flashing from just a plain jane red LED tail light.

It is a a very cool device and I am sure will be developed more and more.

Recently they updated software and it does a firmware update on units that are of a lower firmware number. That tells me it will evolve and with it being able to have firmware updates who knows where it will go?

It is truly plug and play. Hot and ground to battery, unplug RDC plug, plug this in then the RDC into the other end, done.
This sounds very cool!
I like the "light off for signal" that I see on some of the newer autos as of late.
Hope the module works with great success.
Gary

Well each light channel is 10A. My Rigid D2 were wired into a Y. So you can run two pair of LED driving lights no issues. One on each channel. I have not messed with the other configs but I would think you can find something to meets your needs. Even the last two channels are 4A.

Quite. That is going to be the answer, but I'd still prefer both the lower lights on all the time. My lights are from ADVMonster and are already wired with a Y and controlled through one switch. One pair of 30's that draw 0.85 amps each, and a pair of 44's that draw 1.8 amps each, so I am not losing any functionality, especially with the wonder wheel and turn signal switch in control, just not gaining as much as I hoped. As you point out, if I really want the lower lights to be on all the time I could just wire then to the rear light channel, and just sacrifice the option to dim them, turn them off or have them flash alternately with the hazards. But hey, what is there to really complain about?

One thing I didn't mention about the Tiger Explorer I had was the suspension upgrade I did on it. I upgraded the forks with a Wilber's spring and spacer kit, and upgraded the under-sprung Triumph shock with a Wilber's 641 and Tractive HPA. All custom done by the Beemer Shop. I'm also impressed with their work, pricing, and customer service.
Great people.

Anyone out there install auxilary lights using the HEX ezCan themselves?

I have a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro LED's. Got an ezCan on the way. Everything on YouTube says plug and play. What I don't see is how the lights plug into the ezCan. Light pig tail is too short, I think to connect to ezCan leads. Maybe you plug the lights into some connector in the wiring harness??? Maybe you need a cable between the lights and ezCan. Don't see anything that describes how this connection is made. r1200gs lc 2016

Thanks for any assistance.

Rod

Last edited:
You run the hot and ground wires from the lights to the appropriate color coded ezcan plug and wire set. To connect the wires from the lights to the appropriate plug and wire and set you either solder the wires or use some other means of connecting the wires. You can then plug that plug and wires directly into the color coded plug and wires on the ezcan. Once you get the ezcan it becomes more apparent as to how the connection is made. The ezcan website has some nice diagrams showing the parts in the kit and how to program the ezcan to your preferences.

Rod,

I have installed aux. lights using the Hex Ezcan. The Ezcan comes with a short pig tail that matches up with the outputs on Ezcan by wire color. You will need to run wiring from your lights to Ezcan. I installed PIAA 270 LED lights and they came with a wire harness that I modified since I did not need the switch or relay that came with the lights. If you are thinking about running your lights off with turn signal, you will need two sets of wires, one of each side.

Bill

Attachments

• 20160914_211011.jpg
    20160914_211011.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 20161020_211419.jpg
    20161020_211419.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 369
Rod,

I have installed aux. lights using the Hex Ezcan. The Ezcan comes with a short pig tail that matches up with the outputs on Ezcan by wire color. You will need to run wiring from your lights to Ezcan. I installed PIAA 270 LED lights and they came with a wire harness that I modified since I did not need the switch or relay that came with the lights. If you are thinking about running your lights off with turn signal, you will need two sets of wires, one of each side.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Excellent pics. That is what I thought I had to do, just was afraid there was something I was overlooking. My Baja Design lights come with a harness that I can use to clip the wires from the lights to the ezcan. I have to clip them because they run to a relay and have a switch so you can run the lights right off the battery. Should be up and running shortly after my ezcan arrives.

ezCan arrived today. Pretty much, plug but no play. Unit can't find RDC and bike won't start until it is disconnected.

Not to be a wise guy, but, YES, I tried that LOL. There just isn't much to try.

Disregard. It's working. Watching the videos and even in the service manual, the RDC location on my bike is further to the rear and there is another box with the same connector right where the videos show the RDC.

Last edited:
Looks like a great product

Just to be clear in my own mind (for once) this would not actually replace my PDM60, right?

Thanks,
Ski

It's working. Watching the videos and even in the service manual, the RDC location on my bike is further to the rear and there is another box with the same connector right where the videos show the RDC.

Good to hear that you got it working. I think the video shows an install on a GS and I found that on RT the RDC is further back than the video shows. It is under/behind the back brace under the seat.

Just to be clear in my own mind (for once) this would not actually replace my PDM60, right?

It might be a replacement/alternative to PDM60. I think the main differences are PDM60 is not able to integrate with Can bus to allow control with wonder wheel and switches like EzCan for lights etc. I think amp levels can be higher with PDM60 and 6 circuits available vs 4 on Ezcan.

If you need to add a few more farkles, you can always run both:dance

Last edited:
Hex EZCan and Admore Brake Light--trying to figure out the best options for install

I'm trying to install an Admore auxiliary brake light to my 2016 GSA, using this new Hex EZCan. Has anyone done this and been able to maintain all of the intended functions for the Admore brake light...looking for some clear connections help on getting it all connected if possible... :dunno:scratch

Also looking to mount and connect a "Screaming Banshee" horn to her...any mounting and connecting experience out there on this item?

Thanks much, in advance, for any help...

I'm trying to install an Admore auxiliary brake light to my 2016 GSA, using this new Hex EZCan. Has anyone done this and been able to maintain all of the intended functions for the Admore brake light...looking for some clear connections help on getting it all connected if possible... :dunno:scratch

Also looking to mount and connect a "Screaming Banshee" horn to her...any mounting and connecting experience out there on this item?

Welcome to the forum!
It seems like Admore lighting is a bit new here on the forum. There are a few threads accessible through the "tag cloud"......Lower left of the page. Enter Admore in the search box.
Good luck.
Gary

Good to hear that you got it working. I think the video shows an install on a GS and I found that on RT the RDC is further back than the video shows. It is under/behind the back brace under the seat.
That's exactly the way my GS is. I think if you get the Premier option there are several boxes that have to be physically added somewhere so you have to be careful.

I just added a Back Off light bar which has three wires: running light, stop light and ground. Had an Admore on my 2011 GS and it had wires for turn signals as well. You can add the Admore without using the ezCan with no problem. I don't see how the ezCan can do the turn signals because all of its outputs are just two wires.

Back