• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

lighting options on 2016 R1200RT

dynajohn

I am a new owner of a 2016 R1200RT. This is my first BMW and my first bike using H7 low beam bulbs and H1 high beam bulbs. I have a three part question concerning improving the light output without going to HID.
1. I have done some reading here and have settled on using Osram H1 rallye bulbs to replace the high beams as the best solution for me considering bulb life and increased light output for the high beams. Any input on this option??
2. What would you guys recommend for replacement H7 low beam bulbs. I need high quality replacement bulbs that will not cause the bike to throw codes while increasing the low beam output as much as reliably possible .
3. I opted for the optional aux driving lights. Not bad for additional lighting close in but not what I really want. I am thinking of replacing these lights with a set of LED's that will really reach out. Has anyone done a direct replacement using the BMW aux light brackets and the rest of the BMW aux light kit with more powerful LED lights or would you recommend just installing a second set of LED driving lights???? BMW specific aftermarket sources that have bike specific LED replacements would be appreciated as I am new to this brand.

For aux lighting, check out Clearwater LED lighting. Not cheap, but you will be able to see into next week with them

bob

I used the Phillips Extreme 130+ H7 and H1 on my 2014 R1200RT 1st. Then just switched to the Hoshi can-bus H7 Led on my low beam. You can spend all day on light bulbs. I used the Phillips extreme because they were rated at 400-450 hrs and gave great reviews from everyone. I might honestly go back to the H7 130+ from my LED just because its easier to change out the standard H7 bulb if something happens. I've gotten good and can swap all 3 bulbs in 15-20 min.. lmao

Last edited:
It sure seems like you're suggesting excellent lighting is what you're seeking, and if that's so definitely go w/ the Clearwater LED line and put lighting as an issue behind you. I would love to have them as they look to be super effective, but truth be told I rarely ride at night.

It sure seems like you're suggesting excellent lighting is what you're seeking, and if that's so definitely go w/ the Clearwater LED line and put lighting as an issue behind you. I would love to have them as they look to be super effective, but truth be told I rarely ride at night.

The auxiliary LED lights (BMW) I had installed on my wethead GS are not for night time riding, they are for making me more visible in the daytime to other motorists.

Harry

Candlepower is an excellent source for the Philips Extreme bulbs. Their customer service is great. Shipping is fast too. The Philips bulbs focus the light output more precise than almost any other maker, plus they last longer than other high performance bulbs.

I commute at night in the rain. It's not fun. The gray pavement turns black and absorbs all the light that hits it. The secret I found, is to mount your aux lights up as high as possible. And look for a spot (not flood) light.

Putting them up high, lets you aim them out as far as possible...and down. It keeps you from blinding other drivers. Mounting them low, looks good, but you can't aim them out without getting the light into the oncoming driver's eyes and blinding them.

I bought my bike used from a retired cardiologist. He put the Clearwater lights on. I would never have looked at those. The price is outlandish for what you get. Denali lights, I put in the same category...good lighting, but you pay a lot for a name. I bought my Model 30 lights from ADVMonster. http://stores.advmonster.com/model-30-led-off-road-spot-light/

The Model 30 has a 10 degree spot beam with 1500 lumens output. I've used those for about 70,000 miles with no issues. You can select the same parts as you'd find in a kit from Clearwater for about $100 from their website. And if you're a member of the ADV Rider forum, you can use the checkout code "INMATE" to get another 10% off.

Chris

I just installed PIAA 270 LED driving lights with a Hex EZzCan on my 2014 RT. Lights have a good pattern since they use a reflector to control beam. The EZCan plugs into bike's Canbus and enables dimming of lights with the wonder wheel. I used PIAA adjustable brackets to mount on engine bars.

The auxiliary LED lights (BMW) I had installed on my wethead GS are not for night time riding, they are for making me more visible in the daytime to other motorists.

Harry

I thought about that for myself and concluded w/ the LED halo lights AND the hi-vis jackets I wear a couple more lights wouldn't make much of a difference, at least that's my take. I flash the high beams as needed and opted instead for serious loud horns (three of them!) which I coordinate as needed w/ toggling the high beams--I know you can pay a grand for CanOpener or whatever it's called w/ Clearwaters and have the lights automatically sink w/ horn hits but since they are opposing switches there is no need one can do it if desired manually which I am poised to do as needed. The horns are especially useful when someone is nosing out to enter traffic or turn left doing quick glances so may miss seeing you despite the lights and high vis since they aren't looking for motorcycles. Or when you are zooming past someone and are in their blind spot I will blast them if there is ANY motion towards my lane, though I always swing wide during passes and get out of blind spots ASAP anyway. If I did any night riding I would pick up the Clearwaters.

If I did any night riding I would pick up the Clearwaters.

I avoid riding at night: this area is infested with deer. I considered Clearwater lights, and my dealer said he would assist in any aftermarket products I wanted to get, but then was less than helpful as far as installing aftermarket lights. So I went with the BMW aux LED lights and I am happy with them. They do what I want - make me more noticeable to other motorists, and they have a nice green symbol on the dash to ensure that they are actually turned on.

Harry

Where did you get the EzzCan? Ted Porters Beemer shop does not list it yet. I tried to pre order 2 months ago and got no where!

TIA
Lee

I received a pre-release unit for testing on a RT. Sounds like testing is wrapping up and the Hex EZCan should be available ~ mid-November. It was easy to install and works as described.

Bill

I used the Phillips Extreme 130+ H7 and H1 on my 2014 R1200RT 1st. Then just switched to the Hoshi can-bus H7 Led on my low beam. You can spend all day on light bulbs. I used the Phillips extreme because they were rated at 400-450 hrs and gave great reviews from everyone. I might honestly go back to the H7 130+ from my LED just because its easier to change out the standard H7 bulb if something happens. I've gotten good and can swap all 3 bulbs in 15-20 min.. lmao

I thought I saw where Osram made a high beam 65 watt Rally bulb in a H1 but apparently I was mistaken. How do the H7 Osram 65 watt bulbs compare to the Phillips Extreme 130+ for low beams. They both seem to be comparable at about 450 hrs for bulb life. I am going to replace the stock H1 & H7 bulbs and leave the stock BMW driving lights now that I understand they are designed mostly for being seen than as a true driving light. If this combination is not satisfactory I will get a set of Clearwater driving lights and high mount them as suggested in another post.

I know that not everyone can afford Clearwater lights but if you are able and do night time riding this is the way to go plus the BMW canopener wiring makes it a snap to install and everything is control via the wonderwheel. I added clearwater Darla and Erica combination and have to say night time riding turns it into daylight riding, high quality product and the lights are amazing!! With the clearwater lights I have left the stock bulbs stock at some point I wouldn't mine switching them to LED's

Not really a matter of affording. I can if I wanted.

The HEX ezCAN is all that and a bag of chips. It does so much more than the can opener. Maybe you did not look at the link?

The Ridge Industries D2 lights are second to none. 3096 Lumens a light. Burn the paint off the barn! To get that at Clearwater you need to spend 649.00 for Krista's and they are 3.75" round hanging off your bike. Again maybe you did not look at the link for the D2's?

You can not buy a can opener by itself. That just pissed me off to no end to begin with. They lost a bunch of market share on that decision.

I am so happy I got pissed and got the ezCan instead. Like I say you need to look at links to see what is what.

With the ezCAN you can run any driving lights you want or desire. You are not locked into a company because they offer a plug and play wiring solution or wonder wheel integration.

Again everyone likes what they like. I have big faith in my GS911 and how it has matured, the ezCAN is from them also so they know a little about what makes the BMW's electric flow.

I think you miss understood what I was saying and I wasn't directing what I was saying towards you. I was saying not everyone can afford clearwaters as a general statement because I feel they are very expensive and I question myself somedays for buying them...except when I ride at night. I didn't know about ezcan and never knew it existed, that's great you like it and it's appearant you don't like clearwaters. D2 are nice lights but my Ericas have twice those lumens and I like the clearwater canopener cause everything works with the wonderwheel which is why I like it cause I didn't want to add more switches, etc and I wasn't putting down what you ended up getting. Enjoy your setup it sounds nice, I know I am enjoying my clearwater setup especially at night.

No offense at all, I was reading an earlier post and didn't even see yours until after. The ezCan looks pretty cool I will have to read up on it more. I am now looking for a good LED to replace my low beams with. Have all these white LED lights and yellow low beams.

Night riding

I have a 2015 RT and find the stock lights excellent. I ride at night all the time since I commute for a night shift. The lights are better than many automobile lights. I get the installation of lights so people see you, especially during the day, but I cannot see spending that kind of money for a marginal improvement in night lighting. Daboo's comments on using spot versus flood lights are very good. If I were to add lights, I would go the HexEzcan route with a quality set of spot lights that I can aim.

No worries.

You are right not everyone will spend 850.00 + for a set of lights and then 150.00 more for the can opener.

It is not that I do not like Clearwater lights, I just think they are too high priced.

I am in 500.00 total for the PIAA mounts, the ezCAn, and the D2's. I saved 120.00 on the D2 by getting them from Amazon.

I posted here on the ezCAN as it is very new and does way more than the canopener, with two accessory channels to run and control things off the canbus, in addition to the driving light channels.

I posted on the D2 as that is one of the lights the ezCAN was tested with.

Sorry for any offense I may have caused you.

Everyone run what ya brung.

At Das Rally, I attended a seminar and saw the ezCAN demonstrated. I liked it. So, I next went to the Clearwater booth and asked if the ezCAN could control their lights. Ended up talking to the top man. We had a good chat as I am an Electrical Engineer and could understand what he said. It was pretty straightforward. Each Clearwater lamp has an electronic control board in the housing. If you supply a lamp with pulse modulated DC instead of just DC power, you might well burn out the control board. No Warranty.

If your D2 units don't have the control board inside, the pulse modulated power supplied to them will be able to dim them, maybe, without harm. Pulse Width Modulation provides peak voltage but for less than full time to create a dimmer light. Not good for a control board of electronics.

Do be careful. Don't assume all lamps are the same.

Here is how the ezCAN and D2 install turned out.

Crazy bright. I need to get to a wall and have 25' to aim them but all is fine right now. I used a carpenter's square and a torpedo level to square and tilt them. I set them real low about a quarter of a bubble on a small torpedo level so I would not blind someone.

The ezCAN can run two channels of lights with a 10 AMP limit on each of those two channels.. The D2 come wired as a Y so I could have used one channel for them, and added a second set on the second ezCAN channel. You could melt paint with 12,000 lumens. Hell 6000 is way more than I need I think. So I cut the Y on the D2 and used both channels as one set of lights is enough for me.

Turn Signal cancel held in turns them on and off.

I am very happy!

I hope this helps others who are a little budget minded or just looking for alternatives.

ezcan.jpg

lights%20finished.jpg

side%20of%20light.jpg

lights%20on.jpg

I have the same setup. The lights came from Speed Demon (4pack Infinity Amber) but look the same except for the amber colour (they are currently listed at $69.95, but out of stock). I wired them through a relay (harness fro Speed Demon). Quite simple.
The light is tremendous, at least double the stock low beam. The eye of course sees yellow light better than white, so they really light up the road. They don't seem to infuriate oncoming traffic the way white lights do, but I've been told several times they are VERY conspicuous.

Back