• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200 Corrosion Control! (Pictorial)

I saw that the other day, a woman holding the leash of her dog while it pissed on my car wheel.

She didn't like it much when I told her I was going to piss on her car wheel if I saw her doing that again!:banghead

Jim :brow

One time a friend told me about a similar incident, Jim, except it involved the other end of the dog. His neighbor was out cutting the grass as a guy was walking by with his rather large dog. He let the dog drop it's load in the yard, and went on his way. Well, the neighbor started yelling at the dog owner, and the owner replied "what???... it's only dog sh*t!". This infuriated the neighbor, and as the guy was walking away, he actually reached down and scooped up the offending pile bare handed and threw it, hitting the guy in the back. As the guy whipped around looking at him in disbelief, then neigbor said "what???... it's only dog sh*t!" :laugh

Sorry... didn't mean to get off the corrosion thread.

One time a friend told me about a similar incident, Jim, except it involved the other end of the dog. His neighbor was out cutting the grass as a guy was walking by with his rather large dog. He let the dog drop it's load in the yard, and went on his way. Well, the neighbor started yelling at the dog owner, and the owner replied "what???... it's only dog sh*t!". This infuriated the neighbor, and as the guy was walking away, he actually reached down and scooped up the offending pile bare handed and threw it, hitting the guy in the back. As the guy whipped around looking at him in disbelief, then neigbor said "what???... it's only dog sh*t!" :laugh

Sorry... didn't mean to get off the corrosion thread.

:laugh

I always wanted to do that! I have a corner lot with a lot of grass, and am always finding dog poo in my yard!

:laugh

I always wanted to do that! I have a corner lot with a lot of grass, and am always finding dog poo in my yard!

For me it's a horde of neighborhood cats. The buggers use our gardens and flower beds for littler boxes. Fortunately for them, I am too kind to retaliate.

Corrosion/Rock Chip Protection

Hi Guys, here is my way of protecting the front of RT'S engine case.
It took me about two hours to design and fabricate this plate (I figured it's much easier and more practical than cleaning and painting the front of the engine.) I used a piece of aluminum sheet metal, that keeps all the rocks away, even though here in Washington state we don't have salt on the road. I was just tired of looking at engine block coating taking constant beatings.
A few years ago I made a similar plate for my R1150GS, and rode that bike for 40K miles with it , and I never experienced any problems. The plate didn't break and served very well.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 105
I like it, G.T.! Did you pick up some existing bolt holes to fasten that thing? I do like to tinker with the sheet metal...:dance

I like it, G.T.! Did you pick up some existing bolt holes to fasten that thing? I do like to tinker with the sheet metal...:dance

My goal was to get this plate as simple and as easy to make as possible, and indeed, I used the horizontal hole existing in the front engine block. To secure it, I used 8x85mm bolt with 2 flat washers and nut. It's simple, and that was my goal.

Attachments

• Motorcycle Pictures 008.jpg
    Motorcycle Pictures 008.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 92
Specs for Your Engine Shield?

GT - I do like that shield you created, and the elegant way you've attached it. Do you have any specs for length/width, gauge, etc.? A friend has an extensive metal-working shop, and is always looking for projects. I had the plastic off my RT today, and cleaning up and looking around. Even with only 3000 miles on it, the engine already looks a little old down there.:cry

Thanks - John Gamel aka ExGMan

GT - I do like that shield you created, and the elegant way you've attached it. Do you have any specs for length/width, gauge, etc.? A friend has an extensive metal-working shop, and is always looking for projects. I had the plastic off my RT today, and cleaning up and looking around. Even with only 3000 miles on it, the engine already looks a little old down there.:cry

Thanks - John Gamel aka ExGMan

First of all I would just like to thank everyone for their interest in this little project of mine. I'd like to let you know before I explain that all of the measurements were recorded using the metric system for easy use for our fellow Canadians. :ca

But seriously, not only because of that, but because I strongly believe that the metric system is much easier to understand than what we use.

The thickness of the aluminum sheet is 1.60mm (0.0630in). The size of the drill bit that I used is 8.3mm (21/64). Keep in mind, that the hole in the engine case is slightly larger, but that's a good thing because that gives you extra room for the final location of the plate (tight fit between pipe and cover). The upper bend is made at approximately a 10-20?? angle. The lower bends for fastening are made at a 90?? angle. The location of the plate on the engine case is slightly off to the right because of the engine casting that it's done that way. But, that's also good because it gives you unobstructed access to replace the oil filter.

I hope that this will give you some good results and help you out.

Attachments

• Motorcycle Pictures 009.jpg
    Motorcycle Pictures 009.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 53
My goal was to get this plate as simple and as easy to make as possible, and indeed, I used the horizontal hole existing in the front engine block. To secure it, I used 8x85mm bolt with 2 flat washers and nut. It's simple, and that was my goal.

By the looks of the pictures it looks like you could have made it wider. Is there a reason you did not?

Thanks,

By the looks of the pictures it looks like you could have made it wider. Is there a reason you did not?

Thanks,

Hi Jim,

There were several reasons why I made it that particular size. The most important one was that it's existing size perfectly and fully protects the front of the engine. The larger plate will require different mounting points, complicating it's intent. With it's size as you see, it's already difficult to squeeze it between the pipe and engine case.

Trust me, it works just fine the way it is.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 44
Back