• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Quietest slip on muffler for a 1250

Well, I had an Akrapovic on my '18 RT and I thought it had a nice sound. Then, after several months I put my stock muffler back on and I thought it was quieter.

However, there are three things I enjoyed about my Akra: it was lighter, it looked better, and it had a more pleasant tone than the OEM...which has been accused of sounding like a sewing machine.

I guess I was just curious, though my guess is aftermarket muffler makers target those desirous of 'more-noise' under the guise of 'cooler sound' and the extra power that never materializes on a dyno....which incidentally, its all I got out of Akra: a cuter sound.

That was ok for commuting, but when I get on the long-and-winding-road that lead to my touring months in the Summer: cool and cute wears out over the road--if you get my drift.

...I guess deep inside my ears I know the answer: the OEM.

The other thing experts in the field claim about aftermarket cans is that you lose some low torque cause there is less back-pressure, however, probably at the top-end, you might gain some due to freer flow--I think these gain/loses are so miniscule its hard for the average joe-rider to even notice.

FWIW, I put an Akropovic on my '15, and removed it almost immediately. i then sold it to a local friend who has come by a few times since then and remarked that my OEM sounded about the same to him now.

I do think that as it becomes "seasoned", it does sound deeper. I'm at about 34,000 miles now and I don't hear that much of difference between our bikes. His is a tad lower in tone.

Last edited:
With modern engineered bikes, I think there are two main things people put an aftermarket exhaust on for:
1) Looks
2) Weight

Any power gained will be 5 HP or less, and will be at the upper range of the tach, while probably hurting the low end. Most also increase emissions from stock.

With modern engineered bikes, I think there are two main things people put an aftermarket exhaust on for:
1) Looks
2) Weight

Any power gained will be 5 HP or less, and will be at the upper range of the tach, while probably hurting the low end. Most also increase emissions from stock.

Yep!

I've had Remus Hexacone systems on two boxers, and I can't even hear the engine at highway cruise speeds. I do notice that BMW has opened up the exhausts a bit on the Wetheads.

Maybe that should be an option on new BMW models, a custom tailorable, tach-based sound generator that pairs with the rider’s Bluetooth helmet speakers. The rider gets to hear the sounds he wants, but the public is spared.
Don’t laugh, I think Ford puts this in some Mustang models to enhance the sound of the turbo 4 cylinders under max acceleration.

Maybe that should be an option on new BMW models, a custom tailorable, tach-based sound generator that pairs with the rider’s Bluetooth helmet speakers. The rider gets to hear the sounds he wants, but the public is spared.
Don’t laugh, I think Ford puts this in some Mustang models to enhance the sound of the turbo 4 cylinders under max acceleration.

Oh I did laugh. Its called a Sound Symposer or something like that. It has its own amplifier fuse. They also have a Blowfish Sound Tube under the hood involving about 6' of tubing and pipes. It was in some Bullet addition big money Mustang. I damn near wet myself. I must thank Ford. Because every time I see one now it makes me smile.

First of all: I can't stand chrome on a bike, let alone on a hyper-fat overweighted muffler.

That chrome muffler invariably means rust to me since I live on an Island in the middle of the Pacific...and rather close to the ocean also.

So its beginning to sound like the black Remus might be a viable option

First of all: I can't stand chrome on a bike, let alone on a hyper-fat overweighted muffler.

That chrome muffler invariably means rust to me since I live on an Island in the middle of the Pacific...and rather close to the ocean also.

So its beginning to sound like the black Remus might be a viable option

What about the non chrome OEM muffler.
I like the looks of that muffler on the RS and R Wetheads.
It's stainless with a slight brushed finish. You might be able to find a used, new takeoff cheap.
This picture is a RS muffler but the same finish is available for the RT.
Brushed Finish.jpg

Back