• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT clutch slipping in high gears when accelerating...

Clutch lever plunger

You might want to check to see if you have at least some free travel on the clutch lever. On my 2016 R1200RT, the clutch lever plunger was set improperly from the factory, so that when you pulled on the lever, there was zero take up and instantly began disengaging the clutch. Without even touching the lever, it was likely putting some hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder, which can cause the clutch to slip under high load. It is like driving a manual car down the road and resting your foot on the clutch pedal (a big no). The plunger should be adjusted so that when you pull on the clutch lever, there should at least a tiny amount of movement before you feel the resistance created to start disengaging the clutch. This will ensure that the clutch is allowed to fully engage when the lever is released. There are posts here on how to adjust the brake or clutch plungers (they have the same setup). This is a different adjustment than the round knobs for adjusting the lever positions, as they don’t change the take-up/free travel of the plunders. I was able to do the adjustment without taking the lever apart or removing the plunger, all you need is a 2mm Allen (hex) key, and a way to deal with the red Loctite on the set screw. I used the tip of a soldering iron to apply a little heat on the set screw to soften the Loctite, it was an easy adjustment.

Last edited:
You might want to check to see if you have at least some free travel on the clutch lever. On my 2016 R1200RT, the clutch lever plunger was set improperly from the factory, so that when you pulled on the lever, there was zero take up and instantly began disengaging the clutch. Without even touching the lever, it was likely putting some hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder, which can cause the clutch to slip under high load. It is like driving a manual car down the road and resting your foot on the clutch pedal (a big no). The plunger should be adjusted so that when you pull on the clutch lever, there should at least a tiny amount of movement before you feel the resistance created to start disengaging the clutch. This will ensure that the clutch is allowed to fully engage when the lever is released. There are posts here on how to adjust the brake or clutch plungers (they have the same setup). This is a different adjustment than the round knobs for adjusting the lever positions, as they don’t change the take-up/free travel of the plunders. I was able to do the adjustment without taking the lever apart or removing the plunger, all you need is a 2mm Allen (hex) key, and a way to deal with the red Loctite on the set screw. I used the tip of a soldering iron to apply a little heat on the set screw to soften the Loctite, it was an easy adjustment.

Thanks, I checked it and there is a small amount of play prior to the clutch starting to disengage.

Wlecome to the Forums!!

Ski

If I understand this correctly, when hot the hydraulic fluid was so full that it might have actually been pressurized but in any case was overflowing when you removed the lid.

If so this condition could easily cause the clutch slipping once the system was hot.

I would recheck the system when hot and if still full reduce the level a little bit.

Will do, thanks.
Ski

I was experiencing the same issue on my 2014RT with 60K miles on it. I replaced the clutch. Problem solved. I looked at the clutch plates when I picked up the bike from the dealer and they were well worn. Mileage is not always a good indicator of when you need to replace the clutch. It can be affected by how aggressive you ride the bike or how much time you spend riding at slow speeds in the friction zone. My advice is to shop around if you decide to have the clutch replaced. I got quotes of $4000, $2400, and $1100 from 3 different BMW motorcycle dealers. The dealer with the lowest quote services RTs for several of the local police departments and had the back to me in a couple of days. If you want any more info, feel free to contact me. Hope this helps.

I was experiencing the same issue on my 2014RT with 60K miles on it. I replaced the clutch. Problem solved. I looked at the clutch plates when I picked up the bike from the dealer and they were well worn. Mileage is not always a good indicator of when you need to replace the clutch. It can be affected by how aggressive you ride the bike or how much time you spend riding at slow speeds in the friction zone. My advice is to shop around if you decide to have the clutch replaced. I got quotes of $4000, $2400, and $1100 from 3 different BMW motorcycle dealers. The dealer with the lowest quote services RTs for several of the local police departments and had the back to me in a couple of days. If you want any more info, feel free to contact me. Hope this helps.

Novice question. Can't one JUST replace the friction plates? They would be fairly inexpensive and an easy swap on the newer wethead bikes where the clutch is right behind the front tire and not buried. Aftermarket friction plates are typically under $100.

Thoughts?

It was the clutch

Had a new "clutch pack" (BMW won't sell just the plates) installed and all seems fine for now.

I guess I need to modify my shifting habits.

Ski

No problem, I may have tolaunch a go fund me effort to pay for it though.:whistle

No kidding. Did you get just the plates or opt for the whole packge including the clutch hub and pressure plate? In your shoes I might have opted for the Rekluse clutch pack - $679.

No kidding. Did you get just the plates or opt for the whole packge including the clutch hub and pressure plate? In your shoes I might have opted for the Rekluse clutch pack - $679.

I went with the BMW clutch package (plates, pressure plate, hub) for $830. Dealler told me that the hub was damaged and for "only" $150 (plus labor) more than the Rekluse I got everytthing replaced.

Ski

Back