• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Quick release on fuel line pros and cons

taunton64

Ok, here we go. Other than the obvious advantage of easy disconnecting the tank from the bike are there any other advantages to the quick release? I am seriously considering doing away with the quick release on the fuel lines and using a NON sliced piece of gas line. My bike is a 2002 rt. I do my own maintenance. I don't plan on getting rid of the bike any time soon. I just see the quick release as another point of failure on a long trip. I had one go bad a few days ago and I though of replacing it with the new and improved version but after studying it for awhile I'm think just run a solid piece and avoiding it all together.... Thoughts?

The first time you have to remove the tank to service something on the side of the highway, you will wish you didn't remove the disconnects.
Hundreds of thousands of miles. I've had all sorts of crap go wrong.
Never a disconnect. Not even one of the plastic ones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The quick disconnect is a convenience letting you disconnect a line without have to clamp it off.
Nothing wrong with using a brass barb and the correct type of fuel line clamp.

Was it the connector itself that failed or the o-ring? I've had metal disconnects that have o-rings go bad but not the body, solved by carrying a couple extra sandwiched in scotch tape in my tank bag. I've never heard of a metal body disconnect failing, plastic ones yes. I'm a fan of them myself.

The failure was the infamous male end breakage. I noticed a little leak over the winter while it sat in the garage. When I pulled the sides off I notice one of the fuel lines leaking. Now was it an O ring or did I break it when I took it apart? Ya, who knows. Probably a little of both. Anywho I figured while I got it apart and before the real riding starts I might as well fix both and be done with it.

The only QD piece that causes issues on BMW bikes is the plastic male QD piece. They are available in metal from BMW or directly from Colder Products. Why not just replace the potential problem piece and have no further worries while still enjoying the convenience of easy tank removal for service? Along with that, I’d not be surprised at a small add-on service charge for dealing with a non-standard one-piece fuel line should the bike ever be taken to a dealer for service. Seems easier to just address the potential problem rather than re-engineer the system.

Just my $0.02,

DG

The only QD piece that causes issues on BMW bikes is the plastic male QD piece. They are available in metal from BMW or directly from Colder Products. Why not just replace the potential problem piece and have no further worries while still enjoying the convenience of easy tank removal for service? Along with that, I’d not be surprised at a small add-on service charge for dealing with a non-standard one-piece fuel line should the bike ever be taken to a dealer for service. Seems easier to just address the potential problem rather than re-engineer the system.

Just my $0.02,

DG

Good advice.

I’ve had to remove my tank a number of times already in the short time I’ve owned my bike and I can tell you I would never consider removing my QD’s.

As others have suggested carrying extra rubber o-rings is a good idea, but I wouldn’t abandon the QD altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back