• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Q Re: GoPro Operation - On/Off

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
I have a GoPro Black Edition 3. It came with a remote control device that can start/stop it. Or, one can use the camera buttons.

So far, I have not used it on the bike much at all and when I did I have attached the camera via suction cup to the RT's fairing. The cup holds quite well, but I do use a strong tether too! I usually stop, turn on the camera using the camera buttons, check the video framing as best I can (not really highly visible) and ride off.

How do you operate your camera? Is there a better way? I wear gloves and I don't think it would be easy to operate the remote control with them on, especially when moving... And, if not easy, it could be dangerously distracting. If used, where is the remote control stored between uses? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Hi:

I use the GoPro Hero3 Black with the Wi-Fi remote controller on my bike. Covered over 2,000 miles in BC last August with the GoPro attached to the top of my helmet (sometimes facing forward, sometimes facing backwards). Worked great!

What I did was use the (free) iPhone app and connected via Wi-Fi first to the camera before heading out. With the GoPro on my helmet, and viewing what the camera saw on the iPhone, I was able to get the right camera position so it provided a nice panoramic shot but didn't get too much of the instruments and handlebars etc. When I was satisfied with the shot angle etc. and ready to head out, I switched the Wi-Fi setting from the iPhone to the Wi-Fi remote controller. I kept the remote on my key chain (R1200RT) and simply pushed the record button to start recording and pushed it again when I wanted to stop or go to stand-by mode. Worked very well. You could also mount the Wi-Fi remote to your handlebars or to your wrist (over your gloves) as well. GoPro stuff really allows you to be creative!

Do be aware that keeping the camera in stand-by and/or record mode chews through the battery pretty fast...and I have the extra battery back on my camera! I was only able to get maybe 2-3 hours of recording time at the most. Of course, based on where you have the camera mounted, you could run a USB cable off a power source to the camera to keep it charged up. But that's another story.

I also ran my GoPro in video/still capture mode so while it was recording action video, every 5 minutes the camera would take a still photo which was nice for archival purposes. Got some cool shots that way.

So be creative and have fun. The GoPro is fabulous...explore the many things it can do. I hope this was helpful.

Ride safely!

Peter

Thanks Peter

I have the app on the iPad, a first generation one that does not support all the latest features. I think it might give me a still picture from the camera, not video, but that might be enough for framing...

Must look at the remote again, wearing my gloves.

I have tried both full motion video and time-lapse still pictures on the bike. Editing the video is a chore! There is a huge amount of Boring!! footage to be chopped out. But, since I do plan on going back to BC, I can see a role for the video, more there than on the prairie, for sure.

For video editing, I use TrakAx. http://www.trakax.com/ It does the job and I found it a bit easier to use than some other editors, but none of them are really simple. like a lot of programs, you have to get your mind warped into the designer's way of doing things. Gets harder for us old farts.

Any more tips?

I also use the GoPro iPhone app rather than the remote that comes with the camera.
I can't stand most of the GoPro accessories and find the suction cup to be somewhat unreliable. However Ram Mount makes a base adaptor that fits almost all of GoPros and makes them much more adjustable.

I can't stand most of the GoPro accessories and find the suction cup to be somewhat unreliable. However Ram Mount makes a base adaptor that fits almost all of GoPros and makes them much more adjustable.

I've used the "Chesty" and the stick on curved base mount on the top of my helmet. Both have been reliable and without issues. The nice thing about using the Wi-Fi remote is you can start and stop the camera while riding (with care of course) in a much simpler fashion than with the iPhone app. Also, the iPhone app has a second or two delay which drives me nuts especially with the audio portion of the connection. :banghead

It is always recommended to use some sort of tether to "catch" the GoPro should a mount (suction or adhesive) ever let go. I agree that the RAM mounts are pretty much bullet proof. I have one of the base adaptors and they do allow considerable flexibility on and off the motorcycle.

Peter

Wi Fi Remote, Go Pro App and Jaws Flex Clamp

Like pfielder, I use the GoPro App to check the alignment of the GoPro and switch to Remote for normal operation. I have the remote on a "Dummy Cord" that I hang within arms reach. I mount the GoPro in several ways: on a shelf, centered behind the windscreen; top of helmet; and I also have the Jaws Flex Clamp. The Jaws adds a lot of mounting options. My RT-P has crash bars, and police light mounts that provide views from the sides and high and low positions. I also attached a "Dummy Cord" to the GoPro just in case the Jaws or Helmet mount fail.

Back