• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Protecting R1150R left side system case from exhaust heat

D

Donster

After riding my new-to-me R1150R in Houston's Nun Run yesterday, I noticed that my left side BMW system case was quite warm. Can something be applied to the outside of the case near the muffler to help insulate it from the heat? Can the factory muffler be relocated lower while retaining the catalytic converter? Would this also allow the use of a full size system case on the left side?

After riding my new-to-me R1150R in Houston's Nun Run yesterday, I noticed that my left side BMW system case was quite warm. Can something be applied to the outside of the case near the muffler to help insulate it from the heat? Can the factory muffler be relocated lower while retaining the catalytic converter? Would this also allow the use of a full size system case on the left side?
+1 to the above...

i've seen cases that have gotten a hole burned right through the exhaust. i just p/u a rockster and i'm curious to know what can be done as well.

i think by attaching/gluing a heat shield, it would work just fine.

anyone else have idea's or have done something to prevent this?

Pack things that aren't heat-critical

I took my 03 R1150R on a 5,000 mile trip this past summer. Seattle to Chicago and back, sometimes temps were in the 90s, riding all day. I have a stock pipe and BMW hard bags. The inside of the left bag got warm... but that's the laws of physics. I packed that bag with things that would be unaffected by the heat, and made sure my weight and balance was within an acceptable envelope. There's always going to be horror stories about bags getting burned or falling off, but in my experience if the bag is on the bike correctly and packed with non-critical items then there's *usually* no problem except a little heat. If you want to try a cheap heat reflector method (I did this with my 99 F650 and a BMW top box containing camera gear)... you could duct tape some tin foil to the bag closest to the pipe. One layer of tin foil keeps the heat down, really... just ask NASA.

If it concerns you that much, then on dirt bikes it is not that uncommon to stick some aluminum foil on the underside of a gas tank to prevent the fuel from cooking with the heat from the four stroke motors that sit higher. Perhaps stick a layer of the same foil next to where the muffler sits.

Another product I came across that I was thinking about for my adventure cases is called Lizard Skin http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/PS-LizSkin.html

I saw the demo at SEMA show and it was pretty impressive.

BMW makes a lowering adapter that lowers the pipe and still uses the Cat. Only buy that part and use your heat shield after grinding it to conform. Also go to http://www.r1150r.net/ as this has been covered there, "lowering the muffler" and some pictures will help. I did it and found a left full sized case inside, did the switch.

I took my 03 R1150R on a 5,000 mile trip this past summer. Seattle to Chicago and back, sometimes temps were in the 90s, riding all day. I have a stock pipe and BMW hard bags. The inside of the left bag got warm... but that's the laws of physics. I packed that bag with things that would be unaffected by the heat, and made sure my weight and balance was within an acceptable envelope. There's always going to be horror stories about bags getting burned or falling off, but in my experience if the bag is on the bike correctly and packed with non-critical items then there's *usually* no problem except a little heat. If you want to try a cheap heat reflector method (I did this with my 99 F650 and a BMW top box containing camera gear)... you could duct tape some tin foil to the bag closest to the pipe. One layer of tin foil keeps the heat down, really... just ask NASA.

I have Jesse aluminum cases on my R1150R. That case gets warm. I melted some chewing gum packed the wrong place. Generally tools and stuff are in that bag. Keeps them dry and rust free. Right at the rear inside top corner is where I can pack a can of beans or can of soup and open and eat it on the road. Nice and warm but not real hot.

Last edited:
I found an aluminized heat barrier with adhesive backing that is used as an insulator in auto racing applications. They claim withstands temps to 2000 degrees F comes in many sizes.
www,pegasusautoracing.com give them a look see.:clap

I ordered a sheet from Pegasus and it arrived today. Very smooth transaction, by the way. I used paper to make templates. The sheet cuts easily with scissors. Because of the different surface planes on the inward side of the case, I made three pieces and stuck them on. The material covers the forward two-thirds of the case back to even with the exhaust tip. This was a very simple project and -- while I haven't ridden it yet -- will almost have to substantially lower the inside temperature of the case. Because it only covers the forward two-thirds of the case, it's barely noticable from the rear.

I ordered a sheet from Pegasus and it arrived today. Very smooth transaction, by the way. I used paper to make templates. The sheet cuts easily with scissors. Because of the different surface planes on the inward side of the case, I made three pieces and stuck them on. The material covers the forward two-thirds of the case back to even with the exhaust tip. This was a very simple project and -- while I haven't ridden it yet -- will almost have to substantially lower the inside temperature of the case. Because it only covers the forward two-thirds of the case, it's barely noticable from the rear.
hey Donster,

can you post pics please?

hey Donster,

can you post pics please?

Here you go. When the case is on the bike the exhaust tip is about even with the rearmost edge of the shielding material. I'm about to leave for a 150 mile ride, so I'll be able to report later on its effectiveness.

Attachments

• R1150R LH case heat shield.jpg
    R1150R LH case heat shield.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 37
You can get firewall insulation from any Autozone. Just attach it to the case with trim cement.

Here you go. When the case is on the bike the exhaust tip is about even with the rearmost edge of the shielding material. I'm about to leave for a 150 mile ride, so I'll be able to report later on its effectiveness.
thanks Donster! i think that's gonna work out just fine. i'm putting my order in.
please update us after your ride!

After 125 miles today, I stopped and immediately opened the left side case. The inner wall behind the heat shield material was cold. Further back on the inside wall, where there was no shield material outside, it was a little warm from heat from the exhaust gas. Overall, the inside of the case was much cooler than before. Covering the rest of the outer wall of the case with the heat shield material would completely eliminate the heat problem, but as far as I'm concerned, the inside temperature is reduced enough. This stuff works.

My RT has a Remus exhaust system on it. The new pipe puts the stream of exhaust well below and to the rear of the case. Even though the heat shield that was on the case has fallen off, the case is not getting hot.

donster,

thanks for the update! what kind of exhaust do you have?
i've got a remus titanium and it's only less than a 1/4" from the side of the luggage. i've been paranoid of burning a hole or melting it but so far it's been ok. when i bought the bike, i rode it from vegas to san francisco (800mi) and it was fine. but everytime i peak down there, it sure looks like it's gonna burn someday. and there's the case of the guy i mentioned on one of my posts from the R11S/R12S pelican's board who DID burn a hole in his case. that's enough for me to buy the $20 heatshield.

thanks for the nice thread :thumb

donster,

thanks for the update! what kind of exhaust do you have?
i've got a remus titanium and it's only less than a 1/4" from the side of the luggage. i've been paranoid of burning a hole or melting it but so far it's been ok. when i bought the bike, i rode it from vegas to san francisco (800mi) and it was fine. but everytime i peak down there, it sure looks like it's gonna burn someday. and there's the case of the guy i mentioned on one of my posts from the R11S/R12S pelican's board who DID burn a hole in his case. that's enough for me to buy the $20 heatshield.

thanks for the nice thread :thumb

My exhaust system is original equipment and the left side case wraps fairly closely around it. I'm under the impression (but not sure) that this case is specific to the R1150R to accomodate its exhaust configuration. I wasn't worried about my case melting (but in south Texas summers you never know); I just didn't see why it needed to be so warm inside the case and enough so that I didn't want to put electronics or drinking water in that side.

Back