• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pondering the purchase of 200 to 250 dual sport

Suggestions/Reasons

Low and slow +1. All of the bikes suggested are good, except the WR250R (36" seat height) / You stated 55yrs old, no dirt experience, & bike for fun & learning.

If I were 25 or so, a KTM 500 EXC is what I would want. (In a Dream)

I'm 58, and started riding dirt bikes in '69. The last real DB I had was a '72 Bultaco Pursang. In the mid '70s a couple of street legal "enduros". In '77 a new

Triumph Bonneville was my 1st street bike. It was stolen in '84. I did not ride again till 2007, when looking for a street legal XR400 I found a low mileage '92

GSPD.

At this years DVR, dirt tires were mounted, Dunlop D606 on front, Metzeler Karoo rear (they were free) because TKC 70s were backordered. Trailered it up. It was a blast.

60+mph on a 500 pound bike on dirt is fun, not advisable without an ambulance & helo following. I wanted something lighter & slower.

A WR250R came my way. Its power is higher in the rev range than wanted, (for self preservation) so changing the sprockets is in the works.

The TW, XT, or Honda may have worked better for the dirt.

Not a knock on the WR. I tend sometimes to pin the throttle, and don't bounce as well as I used to.

As far as gear goes, the best you can afford, and wear it.

Have fun.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
the other question is; given I have full street gear (BMW Street Guard jacket and pants, bmw all around boots, and street gloves) what are your thoughts re the need for additional gear for riding in the dirt, and what is your reasoning.

Body armor is getting very popular, it's lighter/cooler/cheaper that most riding jackets.

Some of this stuff you can wear by itself and other stuff is designed to be worn under a jacket or jersey.

You don't want to get your BMW stuff all dirty and dinged up.

Ian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.45.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 1.45.14 PM.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 49
Back