• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pondering the purchase of 200 to 250 dual sport

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Any suggestions and reasons for the suggestion?.

Want to do some off road riding. I have a RT, have never ridin off road and am 55 yrs old?
Would be a second bike for fun and learning.
Oh ya, 28" inseam.

Looking at Yamaha XT250.

Yamaha XT 250

A friend and I purchased a couple of brand new XT250s this spring. We used to do a lot of off-road stuff together back in the day (~40 yrs. ago), and wanted to get back to some of the places (and others) we used to ride in. Nothing too challenging, we're 65-70 years old, and have joint replacements, etc. We did a trip early this summer, and are doing another in September. We day-ride loops of about 100-150 miles, of mixed mountain roads, gravel roads, trails and tracks in a quiet mountain area of British Columbia. The bikes performed flawlessly, and are exactly what we were looking for.

What I like:
Light weight - 295 lbs., great agile handling and low seat height (my buddy's got a short inseam as well). Bull-low first gear for climbing impossible grades with no drama and no clutching required. Fuel injection is spot-on, from sea-level to over 8000 feet elevation. Superb fuel mileage (about 95 mpg @ 60 mph using regular gas). Range is about 200 miles from the 2+ gal tank. Seat is far more comfortable than my F650GS. Engine is air-cooled... no radiator to damage in the back country, and no boil-overs on long uphill grades at lower speeds. Stock tires are a perfect compromise between trail knobbies and paved-road traction. On a twisty section of pavement, I was able to stay ahead of a Ducati monster until the road straightened out. Oh yeah, the single discs front and back are excellent, on and off-road.

What I would improve:
No self-cancelling turn signals (kind of unforgiveable on a modern bike, IMO). Although the bike will happily do 60 mph all day, and can go faster, it could arguably use a 6th gear or overdrive.

As you may surmise, we both love our XT250s. The really cool thing is after I've been riding the 250 a lot (and I do!), getting on my F650GS twin makes it seem like a Gold-Wing or a 'Decker (with an uncomfortable seat). :)

JP

It is a great trouble free bike. Honda's offerings in the same displacement size are as well.
I have a TW200 that is, while being a dinosaur technology wise, is fun as well.
OM

Had a Suzuki DR200. It was fun, easy and cheap.

I kept it all stock mainly for resale purposes unlike the folks over at ADVRider that can turn one into a monster in no time.

M

I have a Kawasaki KL250 (Super Sherpa) baby KLR

Voni has a Yamaha TW200

We use them around the desert where we live in the Texas Bigbend, and on fire roads and such when we travel in the west with our teardrop camper with bike platform.

I have a Kawasaki KLX 250 with the Bill Blue 351 cyl upgrade which really increases the low speed torque. It is a very light 275 lbs and has great suspension for a dual sport. Our Alabama gang does a lot of dual sport rides with a wide variety of models but I wouldn't trade for any of them. I have added the IMS 3 gallon tank after I up graded the engine to make up for the increased fuel burn. I am 74 but this bike is so much fun I feel like a kid again. Looking forward to March Moto Madness in Tellico Plains again.:dance

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

Any highlights to mention for the TW200 or Suzuki?

I am open to all of them, just looking for the best fit for my novice dirt bike self, light, not too high a seat, reliable, fun, do some fire roads, forestry roads, trails and to learn on.
and be able to handle a good speed on the highway. I want a dual sport so I don't have to trailer it to the off-road stuff. And some of the off-road stuff takes a couple (or more) highway hours to get to here in Lower Mainland, BC (well okay Pender Harbour but we are looking to move to Delta, BC).

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

Any highlights to mention for the TW200 or Suzuki?

I am open to all of them, just looking for the best fit for my novice dirt bike self, light, not too high a seat, reliable, fun, do some fire roads, forestry roads, trails and to learn on.
and be able to handle a good speed on the highway. I want a dual sport so I don't have to trailer it to the off-road stuff. And some of the off-road stuff takes a couple (or more) highway hours to get to here in Lower Mainland, BC (well okay Pender Harbour but we are looking to move to Delta, BC).
The TW200 enjoys a "cult-like" following, to get a sense of this you can spend some time reading the TW200 Forum. Some of the members have done some epic modifications and undertaken rides that would rival trips on a GSA.
It's old technology, really but the whopping 16 horsepower really gets you going. Mine is a '94 but it's kinda cool to have one with an original kick-start although you can add the kick-start to a brand new one.
If you get really bored, you can mount ATV tires on the massive rims to pull your trailer....

fa4effca2390b18fed41ec7c1d867430.jpg

Let us know how you make out.
OM

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Any highlights to mention for the TW200?

I bought a new TW200 in 2013 for Low and slow.. I love it! Put over 3600 miles since and have never been more than 100 miles from home. My lawnmower has more horsepower! Wanted to ride around here where I did when I was a kid. A friend also bought one and we have a blast going 100 miles on a Saturday or Sunday for 5 bucks in gas and rarely get on a paved road that has a speed limit over 45mph. Did I mention that is is low and slow? :dance

Any suggestions and reasons for the suggestion?.

Want to do some off road riding. I have a RT, have never ridin off road and am 55 yrs old?
Would be a second bike for fun and learning.
Oh ya, 28" inseam.

Looking at Yamaha XT250.

I'd strongly recommend a Honda 250. One, it's a Honda. Two, it's fuel injected. Three, it's a Honda. :)

IMG_8561-XL.jpg

Ian is correct on Honda being a good choice. When Honda came out with F/I in a small bike I was led to believe it was sorta a "quasi" throttle body kinda deal.
The TW's are known for running very lean due to old technology/carburation. Most have to "shim" the needle to have the TW run well.
OM

I gotta toss out some love for the Yamaha WR250R. That bike is really versatile. Whether it's globetrotting or hitting the singletrack. There's a great aftermarket support network if you feel the need to tweek things. It's leading the pack for me for small displacement bikes.

I gotta toss out some love for the Yamaha WR250R. That bike is really versatile. Whether it's globetrotting or hitting the singletrack. There's a great aftermarket support network if you feel the need to tweek things. It's leading the pack for me for small displacement bikes.

Yeah, normally I'd agree with you, but the WR is built to be ridden hard, the CRF is a lot more friendly for beginning riders.

Of all the 250s, the WR is the best for the experienced rider. The CRF likes its neck wrung, the Honda is happy putt-putting around all day and still isn't a slouch when it's time to go.

Last edited:
Yeah, normally I'd agree with you, but the WR is built to be ridden hard, the CRF is a lot more friendly for beginning riders.

Of all the 250s, the WR is the best for the experienced rider. The CRF likes its neck wrung, the Honda is happy putt-putting around all day and still isn't a slouch when it's time to go.

I like the specs on the WR, but it reads tall! I haven't sat on any of them yet. The local dealer is saying, less money go with the honda over others, more money, go with the Yamaha.

I ride a RT, the dirt sounds and looks fun ( dirt is the novice part). The XT has a lower seat. TheTW is old tech, low power and sounds fun. Oh choices, choices, choices.....

For dual sport I ride a lowered KLR650. Sometimes we ride a long, long, long, long way and My better half thinks we have to have a bike with big time fuel capacity, and he is the boss (or that is what I let him think). To be honest, the KLR kicks my butt, but in a twisted sorta way, I think it makes me a better rider (school of hard knocks). Sure would be more fun to have a smaller, lighter bike on dirt, mud, sand, etc. Voni...that bike CANNOT be yours because it is NOT red ;).

and with the dual sport - what about protective equipment?

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the feedback - I'm still working on a decision as to the bike. I need to get to a few dealers and take some taste drives.

the other question is; given I have full street gear (BMW Street Guard jacket and pants, bmw all around boots, and street gloves) what are your thoughts re the need for additional gear for riding in the dirt, and what is your reasoning.

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
Neil

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the feedback - I'm still working on a decision as to the bike. I need to get to a few dealers and take some taste drives.

the other question is; given I have full street gear (BMW Street Guard jacket and pants, bmw all around boots, and street gloves) what are your thoughts re the need for additional gear for riding in the dirt, and what is your reasoning.

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
Neil

My street gear (Aerostich) is OK for the type of off pavement riding I do - mostly dirt roads or desert road stuff - with one exception. I want, but don't have good rib protection. Having broken a rib once I don't want to do it again.

Hi everyone,

.....{snip}.....
Thanks
Neil
I would be interested as to how that works out. I've never had luck with Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki test drives- unless there was an event like a demo truck.
OM

Back