• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Patience please! Long post...

meistre

Well, IÔÇÖm now 318 miles away from returning home after a month-long, 5500 mile outing on the Rockster. And while I have had an incredible time and the scenery has been spectacular, my biggest discovery has been that I am not a big fan of touring by motorcycle.

I write this not to judge or criticize avid iron-butt masters of the road. Rather, I would like to learn from those who enjoy two-wheeled travel. What compels you to ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car on an extended road trip? What am I doing wrong? Why did I find the bike to be so inconvenient? Do I need an entirely different outfit or could it be that itÔÇÖs just not my sport?

Please donÔÇÖt let my opinions anger you, but I would be greatly interested in your feedback.

Briefly, the trip started on a route north from Los Angeles, up the coast to Monterey where I headed east across California, Oregon and Idaho to Yellowstone National Park, then north to Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes in Canada. The return trip was a route back to the west coast through the Idaho panhandle and Washington. One of the highlights of the trip was a pair of ferry rides across the Puget Sound to and from Vancouver Island which left me with a ride home, covering the entire west coast of the United States. As I write this, IÔÇÖm sitting on a balcony in Carmel-By-The-Sea overlooking the ocean and the small, quiet town. Tomorrow IÔÇÖll complete the circuit that started with great excitement, 28 days ago, in my driveway in Echo Park, CA on August 1.

I have unquestionably connected with my bike and I love riding it. On occasion IÔÇÖve also connected with the road when I find myself navigating tight switchbacks and scenic twisties. There was even an entire day of rain that increased the level of adventure and was not altogether that unpleasant (though I was very happy to move from the seat to the hot tub after 5 hours).

IÔÇÖve had plenty of road time to ponder the pros and cons of touring by motorcycle and I can honestly say that I find no logic in the use of a motorcycle over an automobile for an extended road trip. I truly feel that, had I been in my car for this same excursion, the advantages I would have gained would have far outweighed the ones that I would have lost and that my enjoyment of the trip would have increased enormously. HereÔÇÖs why:

1. I could have covered the miles more easily and in greater comfort. In my car, when my butt gets stiff, I have a number of optional positions that will help alleviate the discomfort. 350 miles in a single stretch is not uncommon. On the bike, however, I could only find one or two workable positions and subsequently had to stop about every 90 miles to stretch and recharge. While several stops can add flavor to a road trip, more often than not, these stops were not at a time and place of my choosing and I might find myself wilting in the sun or dodging the rain inside the stall of a self serve car wash.

2. It seems that no matter how alert I am, I seem to forget some part of the ÔÇ£take-offÔÇØ procedure until IÔÇÖve already gained my position in traffic. In the car, I can reach for the sunglasses and put them on, or switch on the stereo without having to stop and plug in. Too often I would have to make another stop just to scrub that smeared dragonfly off my face shield after forgetting to do so at the fueling station. Worse, I would occasionally find myself by the side of the road, removing my helmet so I could insert the earphones that never made it back into my ears after the last butt-stretch. Admittedly, I can be a bit of an airhead (or, oilhead in my case?) but IÔÇÖm usually pretty sharp. Still, it was a rare and celebrated event when my ÔÇ£take-offÔÇØ didnÔÇÖt require a supplementary (and usually very irritating - no matter how quick) visit to the shoulder of the road.

3. I think I would have enjoyed a much stronger element of spontaneity ÔÇô having the option of sleeping in my car in a pinch. IÔÇÖm used to spending as much time on the road each day as my wandering nature requires, without the cloud of finding a place to sleep hanging over my head. While other times of the year may be different, I was traveling during a peak season so motel rooms were often very difficult to find after 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Campgrounds were even more scarce (and those, almost any time of day). Consequently, since I couldnÔÇÖt imagine sleeping on my 12-inch square motorcycle seat, I repeatedly found myself riding past places that I know would have entirely absorbed me and helped create an incredibly fulfilling vacation. Conversely, I can always rely on my trusty VW to provide a safe and restful, if not entirely comfortable nightly shelter when nothing else is available.

4. And the convenience factor! Obviously there was a considerable amount of sightseeing on this trip. I pull up to a sight (say Diablo Lake overlook) and I have to: a) find a stable place to lean the bike on its stand b) unclip myself from the sound system (an iPod of course) c) remove my gloves, sunglasses, helmet and earplugs and, d) stumble down a hot dusty trail in my 2 or 3 layers of protective gear and my biking boots. At times only staying long enough to snap a few pictures, I then have to reverse this entire process before I can ride (sometimes only a few minutes) to the next stop. Contrast that with touring in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I pull in to any available parking spot, switch off the ignition, grab the camera out of the console and wander down the path in comfort.

Needless to say, though IÔÇÖll keep my Rockster for commuting (nothing beats the way it negotiates LA traffic) and occasional day trips, the next time I get a chance to spend an irresponsible amount of time on the road, I will be in my car with the windows down and the sunroof open all the way (which, incidentally, gives me much more of a ÔÇ£wind in the hairÔÇØ feeling than riding in full armor with 4 of my 5 senses dampened by a full face helmet). IÔÇÖll take an ice chest full of sandwiches and lemonade over the exhilarating rush at the twist of a throttle. And for me, being able to carry my large, down pillow now wins out over the tiny savings in fuel economy (35mpg v. 40mpg).

Each to their own

Some people ride for transportation, some ride for recreation, some just ride, some don't ride at all. When I visited riders in LA or Denver, I was astonished at the concept of commuting in those regions: traffic, dust, exhaust, etc. I can see why many folks in those locales ride on the weekends and/or mostly for vacations or short get-aways.

On the other hand, I ride nearly every day, as long as the weather is good, for all my basic transportation needs, and am lucky enough to find myself needing to take long trips through what others would term "recreation corridors" just to get to a business meeting three hours away.

On the other hand (how many is that?), my weekends and vacations do not usually involve the bike. So what?

meistre said:
Please donÔÇÖt let my opinions anger you, but I would be greatly interested in your feedback.
Q: "Young man, why do you repeatedly slap yourself in the face?"
A: "Because it feels so good when I stop."

Maybe you should not tour on your motorcycle anymore.

i commend you for examining your thoughts and feelings and deciding how to live your life!

that said, i think you took a motorycle trip with automobile expectations.

i believe that the things that bugged you about motorcycling touring need to be the things you look forward to! since they weren't, flash's advice above is excellent. :D

for instance, you mention that you can cover more miles, in larger stretches, in an automobile. what motorcycle touring offers is more stops, more chances to meet people, and more time spent in new places. in my life, i go to galveston pretty often. when i'm in a hurry, i take the truck, and i'm there in a near straight line, in four hours or so. i stop once, if at all. when i'm not in a hurry, i take the motorcycle. it takes me 8-9 hours, and i stop a lot. i talk to people when i stop. people talk to me. so i view my motorcycle as a very different mode of transport. when i'm in "get there" mode, on interstates, it is less pleasant than being in a car. but once i get off the interstate, or when i take trips where i cover only 200 miles a day (because i stop and eat four times, and sit around in the middle of nowhere just enjoying being alive) my motorcycle is way better than my car.

another example was the "finding a place to sleep" thing. i've only done one "ride for a day then find a motel to sleep in" trip in my life, but it was part of what i looked forward to. i also think that if i have to, i can sleep on the ground, next to my bike. i think that's equivalent to you sleeping in your car.) i've done a little camping and experimenting, so i know i can go without food, water, and sleep for certain periods of time. i kind of expect, almost hope, that on a motorcycle trip, i'm tested in this way.

i hope i am being clear that i am not trying to argue with you or convince you of anything, i'm simply trying to give my interpretation of your comments and my experience relative to them.

so all i'd say is that you're different from me! and i think it is really really cool that you are being introspective, that you are learning about yourself, and that you are sharing it with all of us so that we can discuss it.

did you take lots of pictures?

Rockster? Touring Bike?

Perhaps you are using the wrong tool to accomplish the task. Longer distance touring may be more enjoyable for you if you had a machine that was designed more for that purpose, IE provide a comfortable seat, good weather protection, on-bike storage, a built in sound system, and other amenities. I think the R1XXXRT line, or the K1XXXLT or GT would provide the level of comfort and sophistication you may be looking for.
Or, perhaps you just don't like touring by motorcycle. Different preferences for different people.

Motorcycle touring isn't for everyone. Maybe you're just one of those people. :dunno

No shame there.

Thats a pretty ambitious trip that you took for your first long motorcycle trip. Maybe you should scale back and try to do a few shorter multi-day trips. When I look at my own touring experience from my first trip to my last one, everything is different. I've improved on my packing scheme to where it used to take me a while to figure out where to put everything, I can pretty much go to garage and get everything where I want it on the bike right away. You talked a lot about not having all of your gear in order when you were goign down the road and having to stop to adjust stuff. I think that we've all done that, and it just takes some time to get a gas stop routine going where you don't even have to think about getting all of your stuff together when you suit up. Also, you talked about walking around in riding gear. I've found that it is much easier to get a cable and a lock to take your gear off and lock in on the bike. Sure it's not foolproof, but chances are you won't run into roaming bands of thugs with heavy duty bolt cutters when you make stops at touristy kinds of places. I usually have a pair of flip-flops that I have within easy access to be able to shed my riding boots and stow them away and walk around. Also, it sounds like your bike may not be the most comfortable of bikes for a long trip in your case. This is why the aftermarket was created, there are all kinds of custom saddles, pads, and sheepskins that you can buy that make riding longer distances a more happy experience. I know that some people get up in the morning and figure out how far they think that they want to go that day and get a hotel reservation made in the morning so that they don't have to worry about where they are going to sleep, or they make hotel reservations before they leave on the trip. I've made a couple of trips to East Coast rallies and have a couple of points in between where I know that I will be able to get a handy campsite when I need to. It may be though like what Flash and KBasa said, motorcycling touring may not be for you.

Ahhh. . . expectations

I think it boils down to expectations, the root of all disappointments.

If one expects motorcycle travel to be comfortable, quick, convenient, dry, or temperate, he is usually in for a disappointment. To compare motorcycle travel to car travel would result in such a disappointment: apples and oranges.

People who travel by motorcycle, by and large, want to be closer to the machine, they want to smell oil, they see "inconveniences" as opportunities to adventure. I agree that it's not for everyone, nor is it for everyone under every circumstance. There are people on this board who ride twice a year and others who ride 365 (days not mph).

Sorry your experience left you wondering why one would tour by bike. Perhaps a shorter trip? An alternate plan? I don't know. . . . Keep trying, though.

meistre said:
I was traveling during a peak season so motel rooms were often very difficult to find after 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Sorry. I'll stop responding after this.

The above points to my "expectations" idea. When travelling by bike, I have learned, you need to start out at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. and plan to get off the road no later than 2:00, or 3:00 if you are pushing it. There are plenty of hotel rooms at that time, even on the Fourth of July weekend.

like they said. if it ain't for you it ain't. i liked what username said about different sets of expectations. i own a rockster SE as well (#60) and one person mentioned it might not be the right tool for the job. much as i love my rockster i agree with what he said....sorta. if i was going touring all the time i would want a fairing and all that other debris and i would think twice before setting out for a month on the snow queen, but naked travel is a blast IMHO. fer example, tomorrow i am going to chez loraz in ohio. by the google map slab route it is 248 miles which if i was traveling at a steady 75 mph would take three and a half hours with one pit stop. if i left in the wee hours of the morning i could probably go faaaster than that.
however, it is prolly going to take me the better part of 5-6 hours to get there because i avoid slabs like the plague. i like two lane state and county roads. i know in advance that i will average 50 mph or so. i enjoy what i consider flexibility when i travel the way i do. if there is a festival or car show or tractor pull, then i might check it out.
bike travel ain't for everyone. i slept on a picnic table once after riding through most of missouri with nothing but NO VACANCY signs.
just thank god you ride the cooliest bike BMW has to offer and use it for whatever puts a grin on!

"I can honestly say that I find no logic in the use of a motorcycle over an automobile for an extended road trip. "

I rode cross-country last summer, without my bike Id have missed

-The camaraderie. Gas and meal breaks frequently led to pick up conversations with fellow riders. Even people in autos wanted to talk to me, often to reminess about their rides. This would not happen if I were in my car

-The wave. The fellow biker wave is special when you are on the road. Out there alone for hours, and you spot the lone light coming the other way. You wave. And that simple act connects you to say ÔÇ£hey, we have something in commonÔÇØ. I waved to train conductors too and was rewarded with a toot. Not going to happen by something so impersonal as a car.

-The weather. Every change in temperature is felt by your skin; set out in the chill of the morning, wishing you could store it up for the god-awful heat of the afternoon. Be it cold or hot extremes, there is a sense of accomplishments in your perseverance. A lone cloud overhead may be a welcome respite from the sun. The black clouds coming up a challenge to your planning and gear. So much to sense.

-The smells. Fresh cut grass, mowed hay, fertilized fields, hot pavement, burning brakes, rain steaming on the road, damp forests, they fill your head with memories, evoking old ones, creating new ones.

-Accomplishment and the stories you can tell. You persevere through difficult conditions; you have a story to tell. Even cushy motorcycle rides make for boring stories. Cushy car rides? CanÔÇÖt imagine telling that tale around the campfire.

Then there was the cop who stopped me, wrote me a warning and just wanted to chat about my trip. The bike...it's just more interesting. :bliss

I travel on a R1100R - alot like your Rockster. I can't imagine doing a trip in the car. That said I've always wondered what it would be like to travel on a K1200LT or Goldwing. You don't get beat up by the wind, you kinda stay dry and you can easily lock-up your stuff, even a tankbag, when you stop. But, I ride a naked bike cuz I like the wind in my face. I know some with Miatas that drive the way I ride. To each their own.

I think part of it is also getting your bike setup for long riding days and the travel stuff. My first long trip was not as long as yours, but it taught me lots of things. Like getting ELF Pegs to stretch the legs, getting a Throttlemesiter, hydration system, cutting down on what I was packing.... it got better.

But then again it might not be for everyone. The other thing I did that helped was I would figure about 12N or so where I wanted to stay and when I was having lunch call for hotel reservations. I never had problems.

But like others have said, it just might not be for you. There is nothing wrong with that.

Good thoughts meistre. We're all different and that is good.

I've been on many long rides. I find I like 250-350 mile days the most. Stop and smell the roses, go see that prairie museum or road side marker. It keeps things interesting and comfortable. But this is me.

Long 500+ mile days remind me of mountain climbs here in the Rockies. I ask myself "why?" during the journey/transit, and sometimes say "never again", and then the next morning I'm ready to do it again!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Touring can be a refreshing experience. I don't know that I can express my
thoughts any differently than others have. But like others, I believe it's not
for everyone.

I'd like to suggest taking a shorter trip with a few friends--maybe the local
club? Give it another shot if you will.

Thanks again,
Ian

an other opinion

ian408 said:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Touring can be a refreshing experience. I don't know that I can express my
thoughts any differently than others have. But like others, I believe it's not
for everyone.

I'd like to suggest taking a shorter trip with a few friends--maybe the local
club? Give it another shot if you will.

Thanks again,
Ian
Having recently but together a 2 night 3day affair(my personal longest ride) for a total of 1600 miles, I too thought that this would make me a rider or break me of the dream.
I can't wait to go again!
What you tried and completed was the whole ball of wax at one time. I think take smaller bites, a month on the road is a long time no matter how you go!

meistre said:
What compels you to ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car on an extended road trip? What am I doing wrong?

First I blame President Bush for your failure to enjoy your trip,,, sorry had to say that...

You are probally not doing anything wrong for you. Or you might be doing everything wrong for you. The key is that you have to find your zone of comfort and happiness.

When I lived in SC and drove to my parents house it was 506 miles one way. In the car (trooper actually) I hated the trip. I was mearly counting off the hours and miles. On my bike it was about the adventure. The sights and sounds and smells. It was the little details of the road and weather and season. It was the feel of the motor and the push of the air and sometimes sting of the rain drops.

I think what it really boils down to was that for me that ride was about the ride and not just the destination. It sounds like to me in your travels it was about the destination and not the actual ride.

There is no doubt that even the avg car provides a much better way to get to a destination, few cars however provide a better experience (for me atleast) than my well prepped bike.

Koop
The Ride is the Reason...

>First I blame President Bush for your failure to enjoy your trip,,, sorry had to say that...

NO, you're wrong. Everyone knows Bush's apparent "mistakes" were caused by Bill Clinton.

I think everything username said is spot on. Myself, I'm blessed with a choice of GREAT cars for road trips. For me, it boils down to who's going and how much stuff do we need. If it's just me and no particular agenda, the bike is a no brainer. For me the hardest part of a bike trip is the last day. Knowing I won't be waking up for another ride the following morning.

i did this last year, 4 months after i started riding, i went out for 2 months all over, from mass, to the midwest to LA and all the way up the PCH. i was ill prepared (old beat up airhead, perforated leather pants riding across the plains in late october, no faring, somewhat haphazard packing, etc........) and i just tried to take these things in turn and recognize i was on an "adventure" and that i'd be getting to a city with friends every five days or so, where showers, comfy places to sleep and relaxing abounded. in between that, i sorta took the same attitude i have when i go camping (which is what i was doing, cause i only logged 2 hotel nights during the trip) and realized i was out in nature, seeing the sights and really enjoying getting back to basics. for me, this is what motorcycle touring, especially when combined with camping, epitomizes. sure a car would be more comfy, but you can just as easily sleep on the side of the bike (i'm 6'5", so this is a much better option than a car for me :bikes). the bike also affords all the things others have mentioned, comraderie, frequent stops to stretch and see the sights, a feeling of "conectivity" with the world around you.

maybe thats not your cup of tea, maybe you'd do better on a different bike, maybe you bit off more than you should have for your first trip, thats for you to decide. all i can say is that i'm hooked on motorcycling touring more than i have been on anything in a while. try a few shorter trips, see how you feel about it, work up to another big adventure. i think few things can compare to seeing the world from a motorcycle...........

"Meistre" ?
I have not seen a responce from the person who started this thread.
:bolt
Was someone trolling. :brow

Back