• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice, lower pegs or highway pegs?

pat8635

2022 r1250rt. I love my bike but on long rides I find myself hooking heals on passenger pegs and all sorts of other stretching techniques. I used to rent Harley's in Vegas and didn't see point in highway pegs, but the geometry of this bike is significantly different and for me better!

Has anybody done a comparison or have any advice? In town I use low seat position and trips high. (30-31 inseam)

Thoughts?

It depends on your back. With lower pegs I can still sit upright without straining my back. With feet forward highway pegs my lower back can take it for a few minutes only. So, test positions and see what works for you.

I had highway pegs on my 2015 RT, but with the upright seating position, I didn't find them very comfortable. I just stood
up on the pegs for a few minutes when I needed a stretch, which helped a lot.

I had highway pegs on my 2015 RT, but with the upright seating position, I didn't find them very comfortable. I just stood
up on the pegs for a few minutes when I needed a stretch, which helped a lot.
Careful, Larry. That is considered "stunting" in some Canadian jurisdictions and probably a few stateside as well. That should be a joke, but it isn't, because there is no accounting for the goofiness that comes out of legislatures.

Careful, Larry. That is considered "stunting" in some Canadian jurisdictions and probably a few stateside as well. That should be a joke, but it isn't, because there is no accounting for the goofiness that comes out of legislatures.
I used to stand on the pegs as part of my five or six minute exercise routine during every hour of riding. Since standing on the pegs is now illegal in my jurisdiction, I simply have my butt hover over the seat, too low for anyone to actually notice. Not as easy as standing but so far, no citations.

Thanks for the heads up, Paul. Yeah, our legislatures working on the important stuff instead of solving the housing crisis or the hunger issues.

I have the Illium front and rear "crash" bars on my R1200RTw. On the front bars I have fitted the Illium highway pegs. Use of these is a nice option on longer rides. I see that Illium have a couple of options for the highway pegs to be used with their front crash bars. There are many ways to position the highway pegs so as to suit most needs.

102476800030-400AA_FOLD.jpg102476800020211007_104413A.jpg

I don't have an RT but a 2018 R1200R, similar seating position. I installed SW-Motech adjustable front pegs; I use the low position which gives me an extra 3/4 inch of legroom. Doesn't sound like much but made a big difference in comfort. I have a 32" inseam.

Some will tell you that you lose ground clearance and drag the pegs early. I haven't experienced that yet, I am not a knee dragger but like to drive spirited here and there.

Back