• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Past Rally Locations

Sure wish we had airborne photography of all the annual venues of past rally’s.
That Redmond 2010 photo is exceptional… I see my tent!

:ha

The story behind that is that I was the only one there with a high-end digital still camera, Vince commandeered it and gave it to a TV station's video team that flew a helicopter in to cover the rally story (they were there because the TV station got the Rally Press Kit and my follow-up reminder call).

Maybe Reece can get some budget to rent a bird and repeat the shoot (probably a bad choice of terms :eek ) in 2024?

Ian

Another page from the press kit:

Screen%20Shot%202023-12-15%20at%209.51.30%20AM-X3.png

The 2010 Rally Chairs:

Stan%20Herman%20and%20Deb%20Lower_1-X3.jpg

With all the high tech toy boys here, a drone can do what a helicopter can on photos from above… and somewhat cheaper :whistle

2010 was light years in capabilities away :lol

With all the high tech toy boys here, a drone can do what a helicopter can on photos from above… and somewhat cheaper :whistle

I'm surprised we have not seen more drone pictures of the rallies the last 5 year.
It might not be possible for Redmond because the airport is so close.

Edit: I found this statement and it looks like there's more to it besides a simple 5 mile rule.

Legally Fly
Individuals who want to fly drones near airports must comply with FAA regulations. According to the FAA, drones cannot be flown within five miles of an airport without prior approval.

In 2010 it used to cost about $8-10k a day to hire a drone with hires digital imaging, like a RED camera + operator.

A young guy that used to race motocross with my son got into that business and made a killing shooting videos of all the factory motocross racers.

I'm surprised we have not seen more drone pictures of the rallies the last 5 year.

Edit: I found this statement and it looks like there's more to it besides a simple 5 mile rule.

Legally Fly
Individuals who want to fly drones near airports must comply with FAA regulations. According to the FAA, drones cannot be flown within five miles of an airport without prior approval.

This gets highly technical... I had to jump through an amazing number of hoops to shoot with drone to produce video for the BMW Performance Center.

Last edited:

Legally Fly

I agree Lee !! With all the high tech drones out there I suspect it would be pretty simple to get some nice drone footage. 2010 was truly the dark ages compared to what is out there today.

Plenty of Hobby Shops in the Redmond area. A quick call and ask “who likes to film with their drone” should have good results.

OM

Back