• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinions on riding gear for hot temps

beeryboats

I need everyone's input on riding gear. Most days it's 15 miles to work where it could be as low as 40deg in the AM and the ride home could be 90+deg. I just bought a used R1100RT that has way more protection from the weather than my HD, but I still bake on the ride home. I have a mesh jacket from HD, but I freeze on the way to work and still bake on the way home at every light. Any ideas on something that is safe, has a removeable liner, and can handle that range in temps or more?
Thanks, Jay

Most Air Mesh Jackets and Pants are made of Polyester that has a 100%
Polyurethane Coating. They melt under friction and you don't want the
jacket to melt into your skin during a high-speed slide.

http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide.pdf

I recommend Motoport's gear. I have been using the GP-2 Kevlar jacket,.
It's stronger than competition grade leather, and I'm quite comfortable
even in high temps. If you really want the wind to blow right through, you
could go for the "Air Mesh Kevlar" jackts. They have essentially two
styles: waist-coat and parka.

One thing to remember: all that wind will dry you right out, so be sure to
drink extra water to keep hydrated.

There is some great information on their website:
http://www.motoport.com

I need everyone's input on riding gear. Most days it's 15 miles to work where it could be as low as 40deg in the AM and the ride home could be 90+deg. I just bought a used R1100RT that has way more protection from the weather than my HD, but I still bake on the ride home. I have a mesh jacket from HD, but I freeze on the way to work and still bake on the way home at every light. Any ideas on something that is safe, has a removeable liner, and can handle that range in temps or more?
Thanks, Jay
Are you traveling with a 2-piece rain suit perhaps?

In Summer, I almost exclusively wear my BMW mesh suit (Venting Machine). Since the suit is not waterproof, my 2-piece rainsuit is always on hand in my sidecase.

In early morning starts, I'll don the rain jacket over the BMW jacket. It makes a surprisingly good windbreak. I did this through cool mornings on the U.P. on my way back from the National. In late Summer, or early Fall, I'll bring along and wear my Kinetsu electric vest under the Venting Machine if the morning's just a tad too cool... It all depends. By Noon, once temps have risen, the rain jacket and/or heated vest go back into my luggage and I'm good to go.

By the first week of Fall, I usually switch over to my 'Stich (still keeping the heated vest on hand).

I have to agree with RT Randy - the http://www.olympiamotosports.com stuff is great. I purchased the HI-VIZ yellow/green as I ride in rush hour traffic 40 miles each way. The venting, protection, and design is great (yes even the color is growing on me). I believe their stuff to be the best bang for the buck and believe me, you can spend a lot for the same bang.
:brow

I use a Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket and drop the windshield on the RT to the lowest setting when it's hot. I just bought a wet vest the other day and rode with it on back to the trailer. I was very impressed with it. Just wet it down and put it on. If you pat it dry a bit first your shirt will stay dryer. This is not for "formal" wear situation like OTW to work, then again riding a bike isn't all that conducive to staying well groomed either. If it cools down, just toss the vest in the bag.

I have to agree with RT Randy - the http://www.olympiamotosports.com stuff is great. I purchased the HI-VIZ yellow/green as I ride in rush hour traffic 40 miles each way. The venting, protection, and design is great (yes even the color is growing on me). I believe their stuff to be the best bang for the buck and believe me, you can spend a lot for the same bang.
:brow

I mostly agree with RT Randy and drummer about the Olympia Air Glide jacket. I have the Hi Viz Yellow jacket, too, to provide maximum conspicuousity. The armor and the water-proof liners are good ... good protection from road rash/bruises and cool weather since the zip out liners are insulated. I haven't ridden in a driving rain with the liners (yet), so I can't attest to their "waterproofness." But, any day warmer than 90 degrees and my First Gear Tex-Mesh comes out of the closet. The Olympia jacket has more fabric than mesh and just isn't as cool in hot weather as the First Gear IMHO. BTW, I have also used a cooling vest soaked in water with an Under Armor (or similar) t-shirt underneath. That helps too in 90+ degree heat.

I wear my First Gear Kilimanjaro, and HT Overpants in those temps. But when it is hot I usually unzip the pants a bit on the side. It gets a bit warm, if I am in stop and go traffic, but I usually avoid those areas.

Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Jacket. Great fit, great venting, plenty of armor, plenty of color choices, matching pants, includes water proof liners for top and bottom. Keep the liners on board for temperature drop or rain.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

I agree with Randy.

With the waterproof liner removed, you can also wear a cool vest under the jacket to stay even cooler. If you don't like the idea of a cool vest, use a cold wet bandana. Stay hydrated by drinking some cold water before the ride. If you find yourself getting hot during the ride, stop and get something cold to drink. No need to rush.

Stay away from anything with caffeine. It’s a diuretic and helps cause dehydration.

Easy :german

I usually wear my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. When it gets hot out (above 100F) I'll switch to Joe Rocket mesh gear. I wear a baggy pair of cotton 'lounging' pants from Old Navy under the mesh pants, and a cool max type t-shirt (short or long sleeve...depends) under the jacket. I also have the evap vest for when it gets really warm.

I leave for work at 0415 in the morning and the temps are around 45-50F right now. I wear a thin fleece 'jacket' under my Darien, and when I leave work at 1700 its usually about 85-90F out. Vents open on the Darien, fleece goes into the pannier.

During the height of summer, its still chilly in the mornings, so I'll wear the JR mesh gear to work, but I'll add the jacket liner (it doubles as a windbreaker) along with the fleece, and for the pants, I'll put on the quilter winter liner from my Field Sheer winter pants.

Like a few others, I vote for the Olympia gear. Personally, I got the fluorescent yellow jacket and black pants. With the liners they are nice and warm. Without, they're not refrigerated, but still comfortable on those upper-90 days.

And not to be a contrarian, but most decent mesh motorcycle gear is a polyolefin (nylon, specifically Cordura brand in good stuff), not polyester.

Based upon my own experience totaling my Suzuki Boulevard, NOTHING melted, but I did walk away from the cager that cut me off.

Ray Barkalow
2004 R1150R

Like a few others, I vote for the Olympia gear. Personally, I got the fluorescent yellow jacket and black pants. With the liners they are nice and warm. Without, they're not refrigerated, but still comfortable on those upper-90 days.

And not to be a contrarian, but most decent mesh motorcycle gear is a polyolefin (nylon, specifically Cordura brand in good stuff), not polyester.

Based upon my own experience totaling my Suzuki Boulevard, NOTHING melted, but I did walk away from the cager that cut me off.

Ray Barkalow
2004 R1150R

In reality, any gear is better than t-shirt and flip-flops. I just figure if itÔÇÖs more dangerous on the road than it is on the track, then you should at least wear track-approved gear.

I agree that a 5-10ft slide at 35mph could tear PU coated 500 denier cordura, and, as you have experienced, that it should not be enough to melt it. It is at least 2 times as strong as jeans, and youÔÇÖll probably have some CE armor, too.

The issue comes in when you have a single vehicle accident at higher speed; when negotiating a curve at high-speed, for instance. This is when you will hit the pavement at 75mph, and you will probably slide (until hitting the rail, tree or worse).

I suppose the choice is as individual as riding style and risk management. For me, if the technology is out there, then IÔÇÖm willing to pay a premium to use it.

One other small thing...
I kept my suit and gear in the entryway closet at my office. I'd walk in fully geared up
in the mornings and hang my stuff.
At 5PM, I would don my cooled Aerostich, boots, helmet and gloves IN the office IN
the air conditioning, and then walk briskly out and mount up and move out as quickly as possible.
It would buy me maybe 5 cool minutes or so to get moving.
Once I was moving, it really wasn't so bad.

Olympia gear

I have the Olympia Bushwhacker mesh jacket and mesh pants. I have not worn my Darian since I got the Bushwhacker. I have found it to be a year round jacket and pants. Liner in = dry and warm, liner out = cool and comfortable.

I recommend the Olympia mesh. Also, I recommend the BMW Santiago. I have both. The BMW summer pants look great. I plan on getting a khaki pair.

The key to riding in hot weather is to wear the right clothing, not just a T-shirt. And drink plenty of fluids water, Gatorade.

_xy-1162052_1

I like Gatorade.

Back