• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Changing Station at Redmond??

A filter can easily go 8k miles, so it’s pretty simple for only oil.
DeVern
Back when I would change oil on long trips I was using dino oil and changed at 4,000 miles during the trip. I did not change the filter.
Our Alaska trip was 10,000 miles so I carried a oil filter for both bikes.

Am I the only one who doesn’t sweat going over the interval by a couple thousand miles on long trips? I figured riding for hours day after day is easier on (synthetic) lubricants than short jaunts close to home

Pete

Am I the only one who doesn’t sweat going over the interval by a couple thousand miles on long trips? I figured riding for hours day after day is easier on (synthetic) lubricants than short jaunts close to home

Pete
When I used dino oil I would change the oil at 3,000 miles. On a trip I did not worry about going 4,000 or 5,000 miles before changing oil, but if the trip was going to be 6,000 miles or more I would change it myself around 4,000 miles. Back then I think Castrol GTX was only a couple bucks a quart.
With synthetic oil, 7,000 or 8,000 miles on a trip before changing oil would not bother me.

Last edited:
Yeah .... I would agree on going over "a bit". I usually change at 3000-4000 so I would be OK going 5000 miles but for ME running 8000 miles would be beyond my comfort zone. But I figure I'm on a motorcycle trip so spending a day getting the oil changed is not a big deal and would provide me a rest day.

In case you missed it, the Rally FAQ now states there will be a wash & lube area...

CAN I CHANGE MY OIL AND WASH MY BIKE AT THE RALLY?​

Yes. A Do-It-Yourself area will be provided. There is no guarantee tools, supplies or help will be available, so be sure to bring everything you need.

In case you missed it, the Rally FAQ now states there will be a wash & lube area...

CAN I CHANGE MY OIL AND WASH MY BIKE AT THE RALLY?​

Yes. A Do-It-Yourself area will be provided. There is no guarantee tools, supplies or help will be available, so be sure to bring everything you need.
So has that changed since Post #3 of this thread?

So far M-Tech in Bend looks like my best option. They are right in Bend and looks like they are familiar with BMW's. Will give them a call about a month or so before and schedule on Wednesday before the Rally. Should be easy.

View attachment 97227
Just spoke with M-Tech and scheduled an oil and final drive change as I'll be at a 6k interval. Plan to do the rest of the service when I get home as it'll take more than a day to get all the plastic off my GTL. M-Tech a full service BMW shop and only 20 min south of Redmond. They're aware of the rally and said to tell everyone they're open for business so give them a shout.

(541) 388-5005

M-Tech Motorcycles
63043 Plateau Dr
Bend, OR 97701

Just spoke with M-Tech and scheduled an oil and final drive change as I'll be at a 6k interval. Plan to do the rest of the service when I get home as it'll take more than a day to get all the plastic off my GTL. M-Tech a full service BMW shop and only 20 min south of Redmond. They're aware of the rally and said to tell everyone they're open for business so give them a shout.

(541) 388-5005

M-Tech Motorcycles
63043 Plateau Dr
Bend, OR 97701
Perfect !! I’ll call and schedule today!!

Back