• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Off road tires

alfabc

I'm thinking of putting some knobbies on the F650GS. Any recommendations? Or what about dual sport tires that work well in dirt/gravel?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

If you mean "off pavement" tires then the Continental TKC 80s are pretty popular. The MEFO Adventure 99 is also rated as a 50% pavement, 50% off pavement tire but isn't as knobby as the TKC80. The Metzeler Tourance and Michelin Anakee are both more like 90% pavement, 10% gravel road tires. I have used all of these tires at one time or another.

For real "off-road" mud, sand, trails, etc. I can't offer much advice. There are a number of non-street-legal knobby tires available if off road is what you are after.

T63

I'd go with the Michelin T63. Once they are scuffed up a bit, they do very well on asphalt and gravel. I've never had them in water, so can't help you there. I have ~4 K miles on mine and the front looks like new. The rear probably has ~3 K miles left in it. The panniers were not on the bike for most of this mileage, but a Giant Loop Great Basin with a similar load was.

Attachments

• Happy Trail Panniers.jpg
    Happy Trail Panniers.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 209
I'm thinking of putting some knobbies on the F650GS. Any recommendations? Or what about dual sport tires that work well in dirt/gravel?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I had a chance to put on a set of MEFO Explorers on my R80G/SPD.

Didn't think any tire had much effect on gravel, but these actually improved stability and steering accuracy. They are impressive on pavement. More expensive than most, others report that the tread life is very good on bikes like yours.

I haven't found the knobbier tires made much of a difference for gravel road riding, but they are nice to have in softer terrain.

MEFO+BLOG.png

Ian

Thanks, Ian,

I have been looking at MEFOs also. I have no personal experience with them at all. The T63's have been very good, but I try not to ride sand or water, so the knobbies may actually be a bit too much. That leaves me looking at both the MEFO's and the Seinhauers (is that the correct spelling?). I have heard that the latter are difficult to find.

I am thinking about doing a gentle attempt at the CDT and/or the MT1000 starting next summer. A grippy tire with good tread life are going to be critical to my choice in replacing the T63's.

Dale

Off Pavement Tires

I have a Dakar and have run a set of the MEFO's and TKC80's. I went back to the tires that came on it. Metzeler Sahara 3's. Not as "off road" as the others. But they do everything I want to do on a Dakar. The MEFO"S lasted about 7K miles but towards the end the front cupped badly. The TKC's lasted a little over 5K miles. The rear wore fine, but one the front the paired center knobs wore away while leaving the singe single center knobs wearing evenly. On both near the end of their lives they both sounded like the mud tires that those monster trucks run. Just a constant roaring sound.

Thanks folks. I'll let you know what I decide. I've got the Anakee's on now, almost new. I'll see what I can do with them, and if I want better traction/steering for roads I try, I'll report back. Just starting to explore the dirt/gravel roads around my home in south west Washington state.

Bill
2001 F650GS

:bikes

I was pretty happy with the Anakees that came on my 2001 Dakar but replaced them with some TKC-80s as my skill level went up. Definitely feels more sure-footed off the pavement now. I have been able to push them pretty hard on dry asphalt too but the trade off is having to take a more "thoughtful" approach to riding in the rain (hello Western Washington).

Based on my actual riding, mostly pavement, I'm pondering changing over to Saharas or Gripsters or something along those lines later this winter.

Gravel vs asphalt

Let me put in one final comment. When I bought my 'o2 Dakar last year, it came with Distanzias. Those tires were probably great for 100% asphalt riding, but sucked and were scary on gravel. The Michelin T-63's do very well on asphalt and feel much better in gravel. If you haven't experienced gravel roads yet, one of the first things you'll feel is the front end "sliding" a bit as it pushes through those soft rows of gravel that are built up by traffic using the road over time. The knobbies push through these soft spots and are much more grabby, if that's a word, than less aggressive tires in these conditions. They also feel a lot better to me on washboard surfaces when I'm standing up on the pegs. I am not into standing on the pegs much, but find that position much more comfortable and safer when the bike is bouncing around a lot. The knobbies just work better in those conditions.

knobbies do add a bit more noise and buzz on asphalt. That's why I'm interested in the MEFOs or Seinhauers (or whatever they're called). The later two tires are supposed to give you more wear also, along with pretty good grip on most road surfaces. That is important if you are planning on doing some long rides, over multiple road types, like I am. The down side is that they are much more expensive!

I love my TKCs. And yes, they do get louder as they wear. I currently have a T63 on the back, which has nice grip, is cheaper but much louder than the TKC it replaced. Not sure what I'll replace it with when the time comes. It's almost half the price of the TKC.

FWIW, I ride my F650GS on pretty much everything but single track, so I prefer a full knobbies for the type of riding that I do.

My 2 cents.

965567365_ynoq8-L.jpg

-K

Well folks, it raining and maybe snowing this weekend, so not much riding!

I've been keeping an eye out on this thread, and would like to thank all of you for your feedback. I've got the Anakee II's on there now. I'll leave them for now so that I may ride when it's wet out.

If it does dry out, I'll plug in the electric vest and head out for a short ride. I also want to try out the new winter pants I just got - Dainese Galveston's.

Cheers,

Bill :bikes

Tourances are not KNOBs!

Subject says it all.

But I've not heard any mention of the Heidenau tires. I've not run them but a friend in Pasco, WA., put them on his '09 F650GS (twin). They sure look like a good compromise tire, much like the MEFO.

Steve in Prineville, OR

- Anyone getting this way, look me up.

Just yesterday, I was shown an email sent to a friend from a tire supplier after he had ordered a set of MEFO Explorers for his KLR650. They REFUSED to sell him the MEFO's because of a high failure rate. Seems the tire has a problem with cracking at the base of the knobs that has lead to numerous tire failures (sometimes rapid failure!) if the tire isn't run at 40PSI.

This would have been his second set; he loves they way they "work". Inspection of his tires didn't reveal any major cracking even though he always runs less than the 40PSI recommended, usually around 24PSI.

YMMV
Tom

Just yesterday, I was shown an email sent to a friend from a tire supplier after he had ordered a set of MEFO Explorers for his KLR650. They REFUSED to sell him the MEFO's because of a high failure rate. Seems the tire has a problem with cracking at the base of the knobs that has lead to numerous tire failures (sometimes rapid failure!) if the tire isn't run at 40PSI.

interesting, i will have to monitor mine. the tread *is* very deep. i mostly run mine at 40psi and am too lazy to lower the pressure for off-pavement.

I got 11K on the original Metzeler Sahara 3's on my Dakar. I watch the tire pressure and always try to check it before a trip. Just replaced them this year with Metzeler Tourance. The Sahara's were fine on the road, but the Tourance is an improvement. I have heard the Tourance lasts longer than the Sahara, but it is definitely more of a road tire. I only occasionally ride a gravel road.

tire for the ride

Great to hear all the opinions on tires, especially as I am needing to buy some new tires over the winter.

Obviously the main thing is to get a tire that suits the particular riding that you do... if 90% road - 10% gravel/dirt then something like the Metzeler Tourance is OK, but if it's 90% gravel/dirt/etc. - 10% road then knobbies of some sort make sense. The problem, it seems to me, comes when you're somewhere between these extremes, when one month your riding is mostly on gravel and dirt, and the next month it's all commuting on asphalt. Being a bit lazy about such things, I don't want to change the tires all the time and so it's always some sort of compromise.

Now, a question for everyone... this past summer I heard someone say that dual purpose tires (such as the Tourance) were a waste of money. If you're a mostly asphalt rider get a good road tire and pressure down for off-road... you'll get many more miles on the tire and the difference for the 10% off-road isn't that great. If you're riding mostly off-road get full-on knobbies which are better suited to variable and loose surfaces. This guy has loads of experience, so I respect his opinion, but this was a new one on me. Any thoughts on this line of thinking?

Now, a question for everyone... this past summer I heard someone say that dual purpose tires (such as the Tourance) were a waste of money. If you're a mostly asphalt rider get a good road tire and pressure down for off-road... you'll get many more miles on the tire and the difference for the 10% off-road isn't that great. If you're riding mostly off-road get full-on knobbies which are better suited to variable and loose surfaces. This guy has loads of experience, so I respect his opinion, but this was a new one on me. Any thoughts on this line of thinking?

Sounds like bear hunting with a .22 to me, but I'm not an expert.

i would somewhat agree with this, as i really haven't found anything that makes much of a difference on gravel. And Tourance et. al. give you nothing for sand or mud.

and i don't know about full-on knobs, but DOT knobs have an effect, as do tires like the TKC 80 and Karoo.

however, i don't know about "many more miles" from street tires unless you go with harder compound streets, which i personally hate, especially in the rain.

i am gonna put my experience with the R80G/SPD+ in here, because at 425-ish pounds, it is comparable to the F&G bikes.

sets of Metzeler Saharas, Pirelli Scorpions or Avon Gripsters seem to last about the same as the Metzler Lasers i've had on the bike in the past.

i put one set of ME880s on years ago and they lasted longer, but pavement performed was crappy due to hard compound.

i guess if you ride easy, tires like that will work.

but i don't hardly ever ride easy! :evil

ian

Okay I had to answer this one about the Tourance. 2007 F650GS

Heres my experience on 2 sets..... first set 20000kms still had a little life but was ready to change for another long trip. 2nd set 21000kms and still on the bike, I am going to burn these up by riding from Calgary to Fairbanks this June and then change to Heidenau K60's for the Dalton and the Dempster, and then the ride home.

Great long wearing road tire and decent on many sandy jungle roads I rode on in Central America. There were days of huge moonsons were I could only drive 30 to 40 kms per hour and these tires performed excellent!! I ride within my ability which many times was very slow. I have a set of Tourances waiting here at home that I bought in Arizona on my way back north last spring. I will see how the K60's are when I get back.

Touch wood ...no flats... waste of money ? you be the judge

Cal

Back