• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Numb tingly hands

You call it an interesting test- I would liken it to interrogation of terrorists!!! While I have to be fair and say you can stand it, think of going through the Army shot line for several extra go-arounds...Or, maybe it can be compared to becoming a voodoo doll...

What's a little electrical stimulation among friends?:dunno:laugh:laugh

Notice the evil grin on the EMG technician's face while you are there!:D

I posted something in a similar thread about how my hand was injured in a previous accident that I didn't even remember having. My hand surgeon explained that I must have had trauma to that hand at some point even if I didn't remember and my body compensated by doing it's own fix. My thumb joint filled with calcium and he went in and cleaned it out and it took a while 9-12 months and my hand started working again perfect. I'm glad I had the surgery or I would not be riding or possibly even writing with that hand. This solved my problem now I can ride my VFR, GS, /5 with euro bars and everything else without problems. Just FYI

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I've toured on various K bikes and boxers over the years with only minor issues, but recently drove a single cylinder 650 Paris Dakar on a two day 1,500 km trip, and both my hands were numbing out.

I could still feel parts of my forearms and hands a month later during my daily workouts.

This PD had been geared down about 10%, and had a noticeable vibration period in the 68 to 74 mph range, just where I was riding.

This numbness thing is a real eye opener.

This was a very impressive bike, though.

thanks a lot just ordered

I too have the same problem, so @ the TN Rally I came across a pair of gloves in the vendors area for $20 some. Figured it was worth a try, so tried some on, bought a pair, and rode the 500 miles home on Sun. with no tingling. My God, they actually worked. Worth the price just for the pleasant ride home. I found the packaging in my side case so here is the web address.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com

They work for me, maybe they'll work for you. Good luck with this nagging problem

thank a lot.just ordered

Classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. It's usually worse in the morning?

Suffering from it - I can tell you so far what has helped me:

1. Foam grips - larger diameter to grip on, some isolation from the normal vibes
2. R1200R vs R1150RS - couldn't ride the RS anymore. Can ride the R12R.
3. Restrictive splint for nighttime use. Everyone tends to fetal position at night when sleeping (MD told me this.. it must be right, it is for me..) which folds the wrist at an angle that will cause irritation of the nerves running through the carpal tunnel. The splint keeps the wrist from being bent as far. Takes a week or so to get used to wearing these at night.
4. Some sort of throttle relief. I use an O ring between the grip and the bar-end weight. It makes the throttle basically neutral - if I set it to some position, it will hold the position for about 15 seconds and then very slowly close. This allows me to lighten my grip on the throttle. That lessens the stress on the wrist and vibes getting to my hand.
5. Good tuneup. It's possible to get an R1200R motor to make almost no bar end vibration at usable RPM ranges if it's tuned correctly. Doing it right requires attention not only to throttle-balance, but also to valve adjustment and rocker arm end-play (which can make a BIG difference.)
6. Steroids. Specifically - a cortisone prescription if you're planning a several week long ride. There are risks and possible side-effects involved in this - make sure you discuss that with your MD before he gives you the prescription.
7. Gel palm gloves. Seem to help a bit. There are some specifically made for this problem (I saw them at the MOA rally) - but I haven't tried those. I've just used the Olympia gel-palm gloves. Also in the winter - heated grips helps as do thicker gloves.

That all said - I'm probably a candidate for surgery for it - but I've been stalling it until it's winter and I won't miss riding the bike for a month or so. There is surgery done now that only involves a very small incision in the wrist and one in the palm of the hand. That's what I'll be looking at.

Pick your surgeon wisely! Have an EMG done. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. I'd suggest a hand surgeon. My procedures were done "open". I have no loss of strength. The surgery gave me immediate pain relief. Prior to the surgery I has unable to sleep, the constant pain keeping me up. I was out of work for a week after each surgery. Just remember to do the physical therapy

Every time I read about riders having numb hands, I think of carpal tunnel syndrome. I didn't get pain like some people do. My hand would just fall asleep with no warning at all. I'd be riding in rush hour traffic at 60 mph and my right hand would be totally numb.

I had the surgery done on both hands, about six months apart. It took only a half hour for each.

I've never regretted it. No pain. No numbness.

Chris

I find that handlebar angle can make a difference. Bars with grip ends that are higher than the switch ends I find more painful. This improves for me when I rotate the bars back and down.

Another item that causes pain is incorrect brake and clutch lever angles. I always keep my fingers on both controls and rotate the levers down so that my fingers are at a more comfortable angle.

I find that adding foam padding has minimal effect. The foam compresses easily and you're back to pressing on the hard bars. I have experimented with adding stiff leather and Kydex pieces where my hands meet the hard parts. The stiffer materials spread the pressure more widely. QWI gloves do this to a degree. I have had two types of QWI gloves and found that the construction and effectiveness varied. The ventilated summer gloves worked better than the intermediate ones. I think their website gives some insights into hands and nerves.

Another technique is to reduce pressure on the bars. Posture affects this as does the amount of support you get from your feet on the pegs. I often ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs other than my insteps. I have also tried improving my back and stomach tone with exercise.

As a general ergonomic complaint on recent BMWs, both of the R1200s I have owned, including the GS, couldn't be ridden at less than 15 MPH without constant clutch work. For me, dealing with this in heavy traffic causes pain and then numbness. My old R80 and KTM 390 are happy to operate at walking speed with the clutch engaged. I'd like to see BMW lower the gearing for first gear so the R1200 could do the same.

I bet...

I have an appointment for the electro-tests with a neurologist. The cutter MD insists on this before applying the knife. I've been told these tests are similar to techniques used on.. well, we won't go there, but lets say Dick Cheney may have heard of the tests :)

I bet you'll find the test interesting. I had it done prior to carpal tunnel surgery a couple years ago. The CT surgery, about 90% effective.
One hand at a time please. You'll learn other stuff while you can't use one of them.

But if you keep the S, be sure you get as much weight as you can on you thighs, not just your butt-cheeks. And as much as you can on the pegs. It's meant to be an active, balanced position. Also a tall tank bag so you can lean on it.

I bet you'll find the test interesting. I had it done prior to carpal tunnel surgery a couple years ago. The CT surgery, about 90% effective.
One hand at a time please. You'll learn other stuff while you can't use one of them...

"You'll learn other stuff while you can't use one of them"...think taking care of yourself after bodily functions. I'll leave your imagination to deal with that. :D

I found the testing interesting. They hook up some electronic sensors to your fingers. Then they measure your reaction. I'd be lying there on the bed with no feeling at all that the doc was doing anything...then all of a sudden get this electric jolt like I'd been hit with a cattle prod. I asked him about why he had to use that much current. He said he had been increasing the current all along and it took that much for my nerves to feel the current and react.

It sounds "scary", and you'll think you can get by without the surgery. But the tests are well worth doing. My mother-in-law finally had it done in her 70s. Why wait if you're going to do it anyway some day and have to live with the discomfort that will keep you from being able to ride comfortably?

Chris

Back