• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Numb tingly hands

ANDYMCLAIN

Any ideas to stave off numb tingly hands? Good soft grips, gel gloves or maybe another model bike with different riding position? I ride an R1100S.

Andy,

Some of our club members were discussing this exact problem at breakfast Saturday. The forward riding position of the S puts weight on your wrists and palms, and if there is any vibration you will feel it more so then R or RT riders.

Having a properly tuned engine would be the best place to start, our R had vibration as all the R's do, but with time spent on valve adjustment, TB gaps, zeroing cables and using a Twin-Max to get both sides in sync it can be greatly reduced.

But if you have an S then you will most likely never be happy because of the weight forward riding position. Bar Backs, different bars and or seat may help, but in the long run it may only help and not make you completely happy.

How long does it take before you are numb?

John

I ride one as well. First loosen the grip, you don't need to hang on for dear life. 2nd, do a good TB sync, makes a world of difference. 3rd, purchase a techlusion, I was amazed at the difference it made in the vibration level of the bike.

numb hand

Any ideas to stave off numb tingly hands? Good soft grips, gel gloves or maybe another model bike with different riding position? I ride an R1100S.

Andy - I had a R90s for over 21 years - into my early 50's - time to up-grade I now have a 1150RT, thinking the differant seating position and hand angle might
be all I needed! Nope ! Same problem, starts with my thumb and index fingers, and radiates to the middle and ring fingers. So a Throttle-meister does the trick
for me, even Bob's BMW has a version

Same problem, starts with my thumb and index fingers, and radiates to the middle and ring fingers.
Classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. It's usually worse in the morning?

Suffering from it - I can tell you so far what has helped me:

1. Foam grips - larger diameter to grip on, some isolation from the normal vibes
2. R1200R vs R1150RS - couldn't ride the RS anymore. Can ride the R12R.
3. Restrictive splint for nighttime use. Everyone tends to fetal position at night when sleeping (MD told me this.. it must be right, it is for me..) which folds the wrist at an angle that will cause irritation of the nerves running through the carpal tunnel. The splint keeps the wrist from being bent as far. Takes a week or so to get used to wearing these at night.
4. Some sort of throttle relief. I use an O ring between the grip and the bar-end weight. It makes the throttle basically neutral - if I set it to some position, it will hold the position for about 15 seconds and then very slowly close. This allows me to lighten my grip on the throttle. That lessens the stress on the wrist and vibes getting to my hand.
5. Good tuneup. It's possible to get an R1200R motor to make almost no bar end vibration at usable RPM ranges if it's tuned correctly. Doing it right requires attention not only to throttle-balance, but also to valve adjustment and rocker arm end-play (which can make a BIG difference.)
6. Steroids. Specifically - a cortisone prescription if you're planning a several week long ride. There are risks and possible side-effects involved in this - make sure you discuss that with your MD before he gives you the prescription.
7. Gel palm gloves. Seem to help a bit. There are some specifically made for this problem (I saw them at the MOA rally) - but I haven't tried those. I've just used the Olympia gel-palm gloves. Also in the winter - heated grips helps as do thicker gloves.

That all said - I'm probably a candidate for surgery for it - but I've been stalling it until it's winter and I won't miss riding the bike for a month or so. There is surgery done now that only involves a very small incision in the wrist and one in the palm of the hand. That's what I'll be looking at.

Classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. It's usually worse in the morning?

Suffering from it - I can tell you so far what has helped me:

1. Foam grips - larger diameter to grip on, some isolation from the normal vibes
2. R1200R vs R1150RS - couldn't ride the RS anymore. Can ride the R12R.
3. Restrictive splint for nighttime use. Everyone tends to fetal position at night when sleeping (MD told me this.. it must be right, it is for me..) which folds the wrist at an angle that will cause irritation of the nerves running through the carpal tunnel. The splint keeps the wrist from being bent as far. Takes a week or so to get used to wearing these at night.
4. Some sort of throttle relief. I use an O ring between the grip and the bar-end weight. It makes the throttle basically neutral - if I set it to some position, it will hold the position for about 15 seconds and then very slowly close. This allows me to lighten my grip on the throttle. That lessens the stress on the wrist and vibes getting to my hand.
5. Good tuneup. It's possible to get an R1200R motor to make almost no bar end vibration at usable RPM ranges if it's tuned correctly. Doing it right requires attention not only to throttle-balance, but also to valve adjustment and rocker arm end-play (which can make a BIG difference.)
6. Steroids. Specifically - a cortisone prescription if you're planning a several week long ride. There are risks and possible side-effects involved in this - make sure you discuss that with your MD before he gives you the prescription.
7. Gel palm gloves. Seem to help a bit. There are some specifically made for this problem (I saw them at the MOA rally) - but I haven't tried those. I've just used the Olympia gel-palm gloves. Also in the winter - heated grips helps as do thicker gloves.

That all said - I'm probably a candidate for surgery for it - but I've been stalling it until it's winter and I won't miss riding the bike for a month or so. There is surgery done now that only involves a very small incision in the wrist and one in the palm of the hand. That's what I'll be looking at.
If you have numbness or tingling in your hands -read this...

I had to quit riding some years back as it becomes difficult to shake both hands at the same time while riding!I am a non-medical type so cut me some slack as I explain: I had carpal tunnel surgery in 2001(right) & 2002(left)-it is called a carpal tunnel release. Basically what they do is carve a channel for the nerve which includes the wrinkled spot at the base of your palm (no slapping end wrenches forever more!) . Some Drs. do the old style wherein the palm is layed open-my doc did endoscopic which involves an incision about an 1" long and you are out of business with that hand for a good bit.Exercises help you to TRY! to get back some of your grip strength . In my opinion you never get it all back. It seems to matter some , just how strong your hands/grip were to begin with. I have worked in technical education in an area where there used to be many sewing factories. When I was doing admissions there was a constant parade of women that had the problem and were looking to become employable in a way that avoided the repetitive motion issues of the factory .If you ride a bike, lots of luck!
I agree with each of the above comments and it comes from much experience with this issue. I bought the gloves @ the TN rally and will see how they do once I can take a long ride. I wear a thin poly liner with all leather gloves and find from many miles that it is the one best thing you can do on a bike other than a throttle assist, short of the surgery, when the time is nigh!
My take on the surgery is it buys you time to use your hands and nothing more other than : freedom from cramps,pain,sleepless nights, and the list goes on...
As to steroids, I took them for years until I lost 30% of kidney function from contracting a virus while backpacking. I have plenty of osteo arthritis in my hands besides the CT issue and it helped to "loosen up" my hands. I miss it dearly and there is no substitute. The PA @ the kidney Dr told me she asked that question @ a conference and was told it would be a sure ticket to the Noble peace price to come up with a substitute for people with loss of kidney function!
If you take the non-steroids, that is ,Aleve , Naproxen , Ibuprofen and so on it is a matter of time that you will likely pay a price with your kidneys. As to the steroids mentioned above, I'll pass on that solution.You can discuss the steroid solution all you want but the risks are real and will not go away! Read about it before you even ask a dr!!!
Feel free to email me with questions from my experience @ <mtyreer65ls@hotmail.com>
The surgery is nothing new and helps some more than others. I have been asked if I got it from using a mouse. Well, I had it before they invented "the mouse"! I got it from genetics,bikes ,hand tools ,chain saws, hard work, and more and more and so on. I suspect that string trimmers were invented by a sadistic hand surgeon.
My warning: Be very choosy which hand doctor you choose to see!!! I found that it is common for them to do the wrong tests or not do the right tests and the list goes on. Read as much as you can find online before you ever leave your house.

I bought the gloves @ the TN rally and will see how they do once I can take a long ride. I wear a thin poly liner with all leather gloves and find from many miles that it is the one best thing you can do on a bike other than a throttle assist, short of the surgery, when the time is nigh!
Interesting - what/where do you find the liners? I have some silk ones that I haven't worn in years.. might be worth trying them. Also interested in your results from the special gloves.
As to steroids, I took them for years until I lost 30% of kidney function from contracting a virus while backpacking. I have plenty of osteo arthritis in my hands besides the CT issue and it helped to "loosen up" my hands. I miss it dearly and there is no substitute.
It does lessen your resistance to infections - I proved that with a toothache during the MOA rally. Stopped taking the steroids and the toothache went away. The local dentist I found thought it was the steroid and the heat - lowered resistance to infections.
I suspect that string trimmers were invented by a sadistic hand surgeon.
I know EXACTLY what you mean.. first time I really had problems was after an all day session with a hand held leaf-blower that had a small 2 cycle engine. The vibration is the real culprit there.
My warning: Be very choosy which hand doctor you choose to see!!! I found that it is common for them to do the wrong tests or not do the right tests and the list goes on. Read as much as you can find online before you ever leave your house.
I'm seeing the guy who invented the endoscopic tool that is used by most surgeons now. He came recommended by quite a few friends who had success with him.

This getting old stuff is really hard isn't it? :dance

Relief!!!

I too have the same problem, so @ the TN Rally I came across a pair of gloves in the vendors area for $20 some. Figured it was worth a try, so tried some on, bought a pair, and rode the 500 miles home on Sun. with no tingling. My God, they actually worked. Worth the price just for the pleasant ride home. I found the packaging in my side case so here is the web address.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com

They work for me, maybe they'll work for you. Good luck with this nagging problem

The QWI gloves RE: above are designed with a simple pad that causes your palm to not touch the surface it contacts in the area of "the nerve" that matters. I will say that they are sturdily made but that I had to try on several pairs of the same size as the quality control is a bit lacking on the part of the Chinese who make them. Yes , the gas blower is similar in its effect. Also on my long list of culprits(as a TOOL USER!) is the wood lathe,most sanders and so on. I wear Carhartt winter insulated work gloves year round for vibration isolation. Think of your efforts in this behalf as much like hearing conservation,i.e., you are trying to protect what you(what little in my case) have left. So, actually this would make a great article or seminar for those that "don't have" the problem yet!
Another tactic I use is to alternate work as a way to give my hands a rest. I carved a large wooden bowl for a few days recently and did some other stuff to rest my hands. It didn't keep them from becoming sore and very tired but helps them through the humps.
As to the liners I wear polypropelene that are cheapest from Campmor(they have several) and also you can get them at Dick's for a twice as much more. The silk will work the same. These are also useful because they act just like absorbent riding shorts with sweat. I sized my QWI rally gloves with the liners as inserts. These are commonly worn by many that go outdoors for activities .
I hear you on "the guy that invented the endoscopic" but still want to emphasize that some DON'T DO THE CORRECT TESTS!!!!! The first practice I went to was large and had all the stuff , to include a large website with credentials to blow you away-BUT_ they didn't do the right tests and were ready to cut in a minute! BEWARE!!! Remember I said I was not a medical professional. It is common to test between the hand/fingers and the wrist. "The nerve" runs through several of the more complicated joints in your body, with the wrist just being one, while the elbow and shoulder can be a problem area. If the doc cuts on your hand with the lower test then finds that your shoulder, etc., is at fault,alas, happy payday for the doc!There are two ways I have seen to do the tests on the nerves. One, the more effective one, is done by a neurologist and the other simple one is by the hand doc with fingertips and wrist with a simple gizmo-i.e., no electrodes punched into your arm(similar to map pins!) and wires running to a chart ,etc.. Moral of the story, go where they test it all and proceed with logic not driven by $$$. I tried steroid injections 1st(on docs idea) and for me they were of no effect at all. I had nerve tests after the surgery and healing and the deterioration on my left side(right handed) is pretty far gone-but I get along fine there, just more discomfort but can use it fine and will do so until it/they quit. That what lifes' all about...

I have an appointment for the electro-tests with a neurologist. The cutter MD insists on this before applying the knife. I've been told these tests are similar to techniques used on.. well, we won't go there, but lets say Dick Cheney may have heard of the tests :)

RE: Numbness and tingling fix Goldwing?

One word........Goldwing.:whistle

:hide

Regarding the suggestion for a Goldwing, I already own three cars. Some people really like 'em but what's the point? I'd sooner ride a Harley, and I'll quit riding before that happens. Just my opinions.

I have "all of the above" when it comes to hand problems,etc., and can now ride comfortably for long distances without changing over to a mega-monster bike-YUCK!!!!:dance

I have an appointment for the electro-tests with a neurologist. The cutter MD insists on this before applying the knife. I've been told these tests are similar to techniques used on.. well, we won't go there, but lets say Dick Cheney may have heard of the tests :)

It's an interesting test. First they strap you to this board...............:whistle

Interesting - what/where do you find the liners? I have some silk ones that I haven't worn in years.. might be worth trying them. Also interested in your results from the special gloves.It does lessen your resistance to infections - I proved that with a toothache during the MOA rally. Stopped taking the steroids and the toothache went away. The local dentist I found thought it was the steroid and the heat - lowered resistance to infections.I know EXACTLY what you mean.. first time I really had problems was after an all day session with a hand held leaf-blower that had a small 2 cycle engine. The vibration is the real culprit there.I'm seeing the guy who invented the endoscopic tool that is used by most surgeons now. He came recommended by quite a few friends who had success with him.

This getting old stuff is really hard isn't it? :dance

It is important to note that , while Phyllis Diller was undoubtedly correct in saying that growing old "isn't for sissies"!, that CTS is not just a result of growing old. I already alluded to meeting with young girls from the sewing factory as they marched into my office in the droves, searching for a new occupation. One reason I responded at length here is that we are riders,some maybe young(most old coots, I know) and your median nerve needs to be protected. Some persons might swing a hammer for a living all their life and never have CTS, while others can be young and BANG, they've got it! If you start young with an activity that makes you a potential victim, then you should be protecting now , not later. That's why I used the noise induced hearing loss comparison , as the cumulative effect has similarities. :ear

It's an interesting test. First they strap you to this board...............:whistle

You call it an interesting test- I would liken it to interrogation of terrorists!!! While I have to be fair and say you can stand it, think of going through the Army shot line for several extra go-arounds...Or, maybe it can be compared to becoming a voodoo doll...

Back