• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New (to me) 2008 K1200GT

jetmechanic

Hello everyone, I'm new to the MOA, newish to BMW bikes, and a returning rider after 15 years! Just purchased a 2008 K1200GT from a friend that seems to be performing great so far, just need some TLC items to be back on the road. What would be some great upgrades or equipment to add to this monster? Any opinions on aux lighting?... I'm ready for the recommendations! Thanks....

This is my brothers 07 1200GT, he's got two sets of aux lights on his and the billy brake aux lights that flash then go solid. He's got an 08 GT in the barn as a parts bike [ for the plastic which is getting very scarce to source ].

Attachments

• 20231228_100529.jpg
    20231228_100529.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Hello everyone, I'm new to the MOA, newish to BMW bikes, and a returning rider after 15 years! Just purchased a 2008 K1200GT from a friend that seems to be performing great so far, just need some TLC items to be back on the road. What would be some great upgrades or equipment to add to this monster? Any opinions on aux lighting?... I'm ready for the recommendations! Thanks....
I adjusted the valves and replaced the idle control motor (although the canbus system failed to recognize the part was out of spec) on a k1200gt running hot and stalling, with 79,000miles prior to a trip, the next time I encountered the bike it is running great with 105,000 miles
I have a k1300gt and the only issues I have are keeping it under 125mph and the front wheel close to the ground

This is my brothers 07 1200GT, he's got two sets of aux lights on his and the billy brake aux lights that flash then go solid. He's got an 08 GT in the barn as a parts bike [ for the plastic which is getting very scarce to source ].
Brownie, this is awesome!! This is exactly what I'm looking to do. I'd love to know what he's using for lights, both up top and on the bottom near the forks. And yes, plastic is getting hard to find. However, I think I found an aftermarket group, but I don't think the "lines" are the same.

I adjusted the valves and replaced the idle control motor (although the canbus system failed to recognize the part was out of spec) on a k1200gt running hot and stalling, with 79,000miles prior to a trip, the next time I encountered the bike it is running great with 105,000 miles
I have a k1300gt and the only issues I have are keeping it under 125mph and the front wheel close to the ground
Len, this bike is a monster, but I'm amazed by the control, input, and handling I have on the bike. I need to get my valves adjusted as well, so that's going to be late summer service trip. I don't think I'd be comfy doing that task myself, so unfortunately I have to take it to the BMW shop.. $$$

Brownie, this is awesome!! This is exactly what I'm looking to do. I'd love to know what he's using for lights, both up top and on the bottom near the forks. And yes, plastic is getting hard to find. However, I think I found an aftermarket group, but I don't think the "lines" are the same.
He's running two sets of Denali D2's with Denali's controller.

Brownie,

I do have another question??... How did he mount the lights up top near the mirrors? Is he using a Clearwater mount?

Brownie,

I do have another question??... How did he mount the lights up top near the mirrors? Is he using a Clearwater mount?
I'm not sure he knows, his mechanic located them from some source and he just paid for them and the install. The bracket attaches under the plastic and passes through the two pieces of plastic at that location. Seems solid enough when I checked them out when I got to his p0lace for last summers excursion north into Wyoming and SD.

the k1300 side panels fit the K1200 but you would want to change both panels because the 1300 has a louver

Len, this bike is a monster, but I'm amazed by the control, input, and handling I have on the bike. I need to get my valves adjusted as well, so that's going to be late summer service trip. I don't think I'd be comfy doing that task myself, so unfortunately I have to take it to the BMW shop.. $$$
valve adjustment is not that hard however it is a long days work, replacing the coolant is complicated, including requiring vacuum, being a jet mechanic is good, think of it as a land jet,
If you turn off the ABS the power reduction will be disabled, yellow and red lights won’t be flashing while you’re trying to get the front wheel down

Guys,

I might pick your minds a bit more on this... I'm taking in for an annual in a few weeks, plus a brake flush job, since it hasn't anything good in a while due to sitting. I rode this beast the other day, and I love it!! Handles great, and while it has the kick, the control is great to me!.. I do want to put more lighting on it so the 4 wheels can see me better...

I mentioned the Clearwater mount because Denali recommended their mirror mount to me for their lights.. (strange but true)..

Back