• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Nav6 version from Garmin

mjfink420

I've had 2 Nav6's replaced under warranty for the "ghosting" issue. On the last replacement, Garmin told me they are putting out a new version to address this issue for good. I recently got a note from them, apparently the new "no more ghosting problem" Nav6 is out there! Mine comes tomorrow, hopefully this will be the end of the issue.

Old PN: 011-04105-07
New PN: 010-01054-73

It also shows a little different on the order (emphasis mine):

BMW Motorrad Navigator VI LM
Cap Touch, Replacement Head Unit, NA, AOEM

I think the old screen was also a capacitive touch, so, not sure what that means, but it's different between the versions.

Thought others may want to know, Garmin has limited stock on the new units, but they are now shipping; hopefully the end of this issue forever!!

Capacitive Touch

Like your cell phone, Capacitive Touch uses the electrical field in your finger to sense a touch. That's why Garmin NAV VI and others were Glove Friendly. now you have to have a Capacitive Touch Compatible Glove to use the New NAV VI, I imagine. I keep a Touchscreen pen on a coil lanyard so I can operate my phone without taking my gloves off, when stopped or course.

Like your cell phone, Capacitive Touch uses the electrical field in your finger to sense a touch. That's why Garmin NAV VI and others were Glove Friendly. now you have to have a Capacitive Touch Compatible Glove to use the New NAV VI, I imagine. I keep a Touchscreen pen on a coil lanyard so I can operate my phone without taking my gloves off, when stopped or course.

Makes sense, all my gloves already have the touchscreen pads on them (or have them built in) so I can use my cell phone riding if necessary. I get it today and will try to get it out this weekend, if there are any noticeable differences, I'll see if I find them.

Is Garmin replacing a bad unit with a no cost swap or is there a charge for an upgrade, or just buying a new gps?

Is Garmin replacing a bad unit with a no cost swap or is there a charge for an upgrade, or just buying a new gps?

Replacement at no charge. And nothing is wrong with my current unit, they just offered when I was doing my last exchange to put me on the list for the new one (around 3 months ago, IIRC).

If you have one, I'd call and ask for the new one. Shouldn't be any charge.

A thread over on advrider is reporting that some of the new improved units are being received. One complaint is the new screen will respond to water droplets hitting it. Not ghosting just random response if it is wet.

FWIW, I had a Garmin 2610 in 2005 that had screen delimitation issues.

18 years ago.

And here we are, almost two decades later with their touch screens still absolute garbage. Between that and Basecamp's "refugee from 1998" software interface, I've spent my last dollar on Garmin equipment.

My "fixed" Cap Touch Nav6 shipped today. I'm thrilled they believe they have fixed the Nav6 so I can count on it working. I have lost count of how many Nav6's I've had to swap out. I'm not thrilled they fixed it by going with capacitance touch as that doesn't work too well with most gloves. I don't have to worry about water droplets as Nav6 is mounted in thr dash of my K1600. But being capacitance touch means it will only get used to display bike info and general maps, and the XT2 will continue being my navigation workhorse. The XT & XT2 screens are sensitive to water drops too, but I can lock the XT2 screen input in rain storms. That option doesn't exist with the XT.

“In the olden days” we learned to carry a motel room shower cap to cover our radar detectors when it rained. If you’re using audio instructions from the gps one might try the same. 😊

Best,
DeVern

And here we are, almost two decades later with their touch screens still absolute garbage. Between that and Basecamp's "refugee from 1998" software interface, I've spent my last dollar on Garmin equipment.

Want to get really sad? You might know this, but not that long ago (~5 years?), Google maps had full Garmin integration. You could build a route with multiple waypoints and do a "Send to Garmin". I used it all the time and it was awesome. Apparently Google and Garmin got into a spat and that option has been long gone; like you, I'm back to Basecamp in all it's "WHYYYYYY" glory. I've gotten pretty good at it after many hours of practice, but it's about the least user friendly and flexible routing tool on planet Earth (and, as you said, hasn't been updated in years with no direct replacement from Garmin for the functionality).

Just makes me sad on so many levels. Why does this have to be so hard (it doesn't!)?

For quick jaunts, particularly in an area I don't know well, I'll just build the route in Google Maps and use that to navigate, sometimes using the Garmin to get back to my starting point. Building an even moderately complicated route on the fly with Garmin will make you want to throw the thing off your bike and go back to navigation by sextant.

FWIW, I had a Garmin 2610 in 2005 that had screen delimitation issues.

18 years ago.

What I find funny is a have a $150 Garmin Nuvi that I bought years ago. I spends the summer on my ride, gets rained on, dropped and works fine. Plus it isn't an "outdoor" or motorcycle rated unit. Zero issues with it. But then Garmin builds a $1000 motorcycle unit and it is finicky!

Got it in my hands right now. Nothing visually different, however, when connected to the computer, it does have a different USB connection screen. Garmin Express still sees it as "Nav 6". Updating the maps currently and will start moving my routes over later today, hopefully I'll get it out for a ride this weekend and can give some impressions as to how the new screen works with gloves/sunlight/glare/etc.

Man, I hope this is the last Nav 6 I need to send back!

I will admit, I am pleasantly surprised that Garmin still supports the Nav 6 like they do. They could have easily said nothing gets repaired for free that is older than three years.

Last edited:
Received mine in the mail today. Downloaded the latest firmware and maps via garmin express and did notice at first a pic of the battery cover not on. I had it removed to install the battery and sim card and it will not do anything unless the cover is reinstalled. Interesting. So far, I am liking what i see. More time in the saddle needed however. kudos to garmin for making good on this issue

Received mine in the mail today. Downloaded the latest firmware and maps via garmin express and did notice at first a pic of the battery cover not on. I had it removed to install the battery and sim card and it will not do anything unless the cover is reinstalled. Interesting. So far, I am liking what i see. More time in the saddle needed however. kudos to garmin for making good on this issue

There is a small magnet in the battery cover with a corresponding sensor next to the battery. Same for all the Nav6's.

I hope this new version of the Nav VI from Garmin works out.
I just learned that the new ConnectedRide Navigator will not fit in the Nav Prep option of the RT and K16 contrary to the press release.
This screen shot from the Sierra bmw website
Screenshot_20240114_114046_Chrome.jpg

Did a pretty good tour today (~200 miles) with the new Nav6. First off, thing I think most might want to know, seems to work just fine with gloves. I wound up wearing 2 different pairs throughout the ride, both worked just fine with the new Garmin. I'm honestly not sure if either/both of them have the "pads" for phone touch screens on them, they might both have them, but, either way, I was happy with the performance with gloves on, frankly, didn't seem any different than the old screen.

Other than that and the slight changes in the boot up, not sure I could tell one from the other. Maybe this new one is a little brighter? I could be imagining that, but it was a really sunny/bright day today and the GPS was easy to read.

Didn't rain, so can't provide any details if that's an issue or not.

Net/net, if this screen doesn't break, I'll be a happy camper. Now, next up, please update Basecamp!!

I received my "fixed" Nav6 from Garmin a couple days ago. Hardware version is V9. The new screen does work well enough with gloves, including non-touch screen specific gloves.

I think the fixed Nav6 uses the exact same screen Garmin uses on the XT & XT2. The new screen is dead flat when viewed from an angle, where you can see light reflect off it. The prior Nav6 screens had a slight buldge on the left side where the "BMW Motorrad Navigator VI" logo appeared, and it was slightly sunken in on all four sides of the viewable part of the screen. That is definitely no longer the case with the fixed Nav6. I am guessing these slight undulations to the old screen caused screen to further distort when exposed to cold, and thus caused the ghosting. If so, it took many days back warmth for the ghosting to stop, if it could ever be stopped.

In any event, I hope this was the last time I need to send a Nav6 in for replacement. And all the best with the rest of you getting yours swapped out too.

I realize this is an old thread, but those who've had replacements, how's it going?
Problems solved? Or?

Back