• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member from Bloomfield Hills, MI

Hello everyone,

My name's Jon, and I've just joined the Club. I've been riding since college, and have always lusted after BMWs. I remember there was a scientist working at the lab where I had a part time job, and he rode up every day on his R69s, (this was back in the late 1980's) and I thought that the Earles forks and the solo saddle were about the coolest things I ever saw! So, that's how I got the bug.

After riding a few Hondas and a yamaha in College, I managed to talk Andy Pelc into selling me a R60/5 that was a borderline parts bike/easy resto project. I think he either felt sorry for me or saw he was going to make a fortune on parts with me.

I worked on that bike, took it down to the last bolt, and got it ready for paint. I was studying for the bar at this point, and this was my "break". I primed everything in the basement, and fumes were too much, so I moved the operation out into the garage. Now, I spent weeks getting the primer just right, sanding, etc. So I got everything ready for paint. It looked great in the garage, but the fumes were even worse. So I made the mistake of cracking the garage door about 2-3 inches, and WHOOSH! Every bit of dust, leaf, dirt, etc. blew into the garage and adhered to the fresh paint.

Then, on top of that, when everything dried, it was the worst orange peel you'd ever see. It was like lizard skin.

I was so upset that I ended up putting the bike back together and getting rid of it. But, being a glutton for punishment, I found another sad BMW a few years later, and put way too much time and money into that bike, but that was the first one that I was really able to ride with any regularity.

Anyway, with family, job, etc., its hard to find time to ride, but I've been keeping busy wrenching on my bikes. I'm hoping to find other people to hook up with for rides and other motorcycle related mania.

Cheers, and I'll hopefully be talking with you all soon.

Greetings

Hello and welcome to the BMW MOA club and forum. I am from West Bloomfield, MI (and kids go to DCDS in Bloomfield Hills). I returned to riding after a 25+ year hiatus. I had a 1975 CB360T in college which I rode year round (yes, even in the winter and I lived in Western NY). I jumped in head first when I returned to motorcycling with a 2009 BMW K1300S -- a bike that I'd dreamed about since first riding a prototype in Germany. I would look forward to a going out on a ride with you and a few of the other local members once the weather turns (which seems to be right around the corner)!

Kent

Hi Jon,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your BMW purchase!
Rubber down,
Rich

cpkgas

:blah;)To new members from Bloomfield Hills.

High neighbors, would love to ride with company in area or to rallies. I have partially retired and have time to explore ,bike, and roads .Been riding 6 years and cant quite figure out what took so long.

March must be "new member from southeast Michigan month"!

Howdy from Canton, MI. Purchased my first BMW motorbike, a 2011 R1200RT, 2 weeks ago while in Daytona Beach for Bike Week. Traded in my '08 Kawasaki Concours 14 (just happened to have my title with me, imagine that).

Enjoyed riding 33K+ miles on the Kaw over 3 seasons, but wanted something more suited to my riding style, a bit smaller, 130 pounds lighter, and with amenities not available on the Concours.

Looking forward to a great season of riding, although our weather has presently regressed to January norms. Living in Michigan sure does make those first sunny, warm days in April REALLY special!

Happy motoring!

Back