• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member and 1st BMW

tommybro

First time post and new member. I am Tom in Colonial Heights VA. I bought my first BMW a few weeks ago. A 1996 R850R.

I took the day off from work today and spent pretty much all day on it. I had a blast.

I know I'll have a lot of questions and looking forward to advice here.

r859r5.jpg

Always admired that model. Perfect combination of power and weight.

Great Choice. She is a beauty. Bring it out to West Bend this summer

Welcome. Wow. Is that a current picture of the bike? The thing looks like it has never been ridden. MINT. Nice.

Punched out of work to ride?!

A person decides to take a day off his job, just to ride around on a BMW - this guy has his priorities in order!

Dude - you did what many wish they could. Enjoy the bike - it looks great. Glad you actually had the weather that permitted riding.

Those of us in the snow belt are still dealing with hibernation, and dreaming of Spring!:wave

Welcome! Cool bike. I've always been intrigued by the R850R. Perhaps its because there are so few of them here in the USA. And yours is so clean! How many miles are on it? Other than the shield, soft bags, and engine guards it looks pretty stock, too.

Welcome.
Man, that bike has had some serious care, it looks pristine. Where did you find it?
Enjoy your new ride!

Wez

Last edited:
Glad to have another Beemer rider in Virginia even if you're 300 miles from me. I was able to ride my new to me bike yesterday for the first time since I picked it up during a snowstorm in January. If you're ever down in the mountains where we have great roads for riding and not much traffic, look me up. There are two or three of us that will ride with you about anytime and will show you some good riding. If you have never attended a BMW Rally, the RA rally will be at the Biltmore in Asheville, NC on June 7-10. I suggest that one because it is close to you (relative to the MOA Rally).

http://www.bmwra.org/rally/

welcome aboard!

Very pristine looking ride.
Now go out and get some dead bugs on it!

btw, I am also a Triumph fan, as I like the retro looking stuff.

:thumb Nice bike. To repeat the others, looks amazing for a 10yo! Or is that the result of you being a photographer?:wave

Hey Tom,
I am just up the road in Midlothian. I guess we can't say enough about your bike. Stunning! You picked a great day to ride. I just got in from work and the wind is howling...made for an interesting ride across the James River on Rt. 288. Tell us a bit about how you came to own a/that BMW.

Wow thanks for all the comments. The photo was taken Wednesday (21st) out near Lake Chesdin. I take a camera on all rides. It's a stock basic bike. I added the windscreen that I had laying around and put the Cortech bags that I share with the Triumph Legend on. It didn't come with the BMW hard bags, but I hope to find some. It does have the mounting rails.

I was in Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg a few weeks ago and Jeff Dunkle was showing me around. I expressed that I was just looking and hoped to own a B bike one day. He showed me a used R1100R on the floor that had aftermarket exhaust, spoke wheels, tach and clock kit etc. It fit me fairly well and was in my price range. (short inseam here).

I went home a told my brother about it. Long story short, a co-worker of his had the bike that eventually bought. It fits me, my kind of riding, it was well taken care of.

It's a 1996, (title says '97), 26k miles, good tires, stamped maintenance book up to 24k miles ago, all the tools, manuals etc.

...He showed me a used R1100R on the floor that had aftermarket exhaust, spoke wheels, tach and clock kit etc....
I do have a soft spot for the spoked wheels.

The RA has a few links to regional stuff for Virginia on their website. Hmmm.. here it is:
http://www.bmwra.org/regions/virginia/

You have a very active local club right up the road in Richmond. Drop in at Velocity and say hi to Eric. Maybe I'll see you at one of their (or one of our) monthly breakfasts.

Great Looking 850R. I enjoy my Roadster more each year.. While I initially wanted other models, I've become much more content at its well rounded usefulness. One article a while back called it a GS in a Tuxedo. The central VA area is a great place to ride

from up in Mechanicsville

Looks familiar

:thumb Welcome. I have a '97 850R and love it. It fits my long legs, bad knees and back with its upright riding position. Very comfortable for me. That is a beautiful picture. Mine looks identical except for hard luggage.

Enjoy the ride!

Welcome Aboard!

It is always a pleasure to see new members and beautiful bikes enter the circus.:clap

Back