• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member, 2nd Time Around - Questions

D

dhgeyer

Hello,

I just rejoined because I just bought a 1996 R850R. I used to have a K75SA, but I sold it.

Anyhoo, about the R850R:

It seems to surge and hesitate on steady throttle at certain engine speeds. I've heard somewhere that this is normal behavior for this vintage. Is that true? If
not, what might a likely place be to start looking for a cause/cure?

The bike has just under 30,000 on it and seems to have been well cared for.

Where, other than from a dealer, might it be possible to find a usable service manual?

Do people run regular fuel in this model and get away with it with no pinging, preignition, or detonation? I've gotten mixed answers on that one.

Is it OK to use 15/40 or 15/50 oil from the gas station or etc? If I remember from the K75SA, the dry clutch obviated the need for special motorcycle oil.

Does this model require removal of the transmission to lube clutch splines, as the older models did? At some point they cured that nonsense - not sure which category I'm in.

Anything to look out for?

Thanks!

Dave Geyer
Merrimack, NH

Last edited:
clymer and haynes, those are your best bets for service manuals, i have the clymer and aside from a few torque discrepencies i like it a lot. mine is good for all the 1100/1150 series as well as the 850R

go ahead and use automotive oil, many here use Mobil 1 15W 50, as do i. i switch to shell rotella 5W 40 in the cold winter months for easier starts.

see if there is a techlusion chip available for your bike. they often solve surging problems in the larger capacity models

i can't run regular gas in my S, but many people have had good luck in other models, i have run 89 octane with no issues

yes, you do have to remove the transmission to properly lube the transmission input splines.

hope that helps

Agree w BubbaZanetti & osbornk

Dave,
First congratulations on the new bike. These new oilheads are impressive to say the least. I purchased a '98r11r in the spring after owning a late '70s airhead. Both have their individual charms, but the r11 really goes (at least for my "driving miss daisy" standards).
The mobil 1 auto oil works just fine as well as 89 octane. I've tried out different ratings and experienced no discernable dofferences between them. After having said that, though, I have to admit to going by the specs and running 95 most of the time. eBay is also great for a used manual (bought both of mine there).
As for the throttle, after coming from an old, and admittedly familiar, bike to a new one I have to say that the r11's throttle seemed a bit twitchy. - overly responsive, almost to a fault at first. Once you get used to it, it's no problem. I was on the learning curve (looking like a Mr Bean episode) for the first week or so. Hopefully, you're a faster study!
One thing I did want to mention is a small detail about the front fork reflectors. I noticed that I lost one the other day on a long ride. When I "tested" the remaining one, it came right off in my hand. Either old adhesive or poor quality to start with. In any event, if you have the same problem (or want to prevent losing one/both) just remove all old adhesive residue and reattach with 3m auto trim adhesive. I had a roll from my VW (which is notorious for losing door trim) and trimmed it to size and now I think the reflectors are hermetically sealed to the fork. Best of luck with the new bike!
Regards,
Eric

Dave,

The valve clearance and throttle body sync. must be spot on with the oil heads. If you don't know or question the service history, have them checked or do the task yourself. If you're at all handy with a wrench, you'll have no problem. Pick up a manual first, as the steps are critical.
I've also found the oil head to be somewhat sensitive to spark plug condition. Get all of the basics right before moving on. I run a techlusion, but must say that it put the icing on the cake rather than fixing any problem.

I used to run 89 in the 1150, but am now finding that fuel quality seems to be all over the chart. Three tanks might run well and the fourth is bad -- seems to be no real pattern.
Good luck

Motard

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies! All good information.

The bike supposedly had a recent 6000 mile service done at Max's BMW in North Hampton, NH, where I bought it. I'm a bit suspicious of what they actually did, however. When I took the seat off, there was a mouse's nest under it. They couldn't have checked the battery or the air filter without finding that!

There's another dealership close by, but I had some issues with their service a few years ago on the K75SA. I think starting with a basic tune up is a very wise course of action indeed. I guess I'll have that done right away, and in the meantime get my hands on a service manual.

Back