• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NEED HELP/INPUT from the K-BIKE Veterans - 1987 K100RS

JochenWoern

Hello and good evening ALL, how are you?
I am currently riding a 2002 R1150RT and therefore have NO experience with any K Bike.
However, an older K has always been a dream of mine and I came accross a 1987 K100RS with 16,577 ORIGINAL miles on it.

In my opinion, the bike needs the following:

- 2 new tires.
- Tune Up. (Bike "sputters" at lower RPM's, could also be bad/old gas in the tank?)
- Left Turn Signal did not work.

Asking price for the Bike is $3,900.00, I offered $2,800.00 based on what the bike needs, also needs a little cosmetical TLC.

I Blue Booked it on Kelley Blue Book:
- SUGGESTED RETAIL VALUE: $3,245.00
- TRADE-IN VALUE (Good Condition): $2,225.00

In order to get a fair Private Party Value, I usually add both numbers and divide them by 2, this comes up to a total of $2,735.00.

So, I think my offer of 2,800.00 is good, but can not be sure.
The owner "was going to think about it", he of course uses the LOW Mileage as his bargaining chip.

Below, please find a picture of the K100RS, I will add a couple more shortly thereafter.

-----> I would really like to know what you K-Bike Veterans think this bike should be worth? I like it, but do not want to spend too much money on it as I am on a budget.

THANKS in advance.

Attachments

• K100RS2.jpg
    K100RS2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 375
pic 2

hello and good evening all, how are you?
I am currently riding a 2002 r1150rt and therefore have no experience with any k bike.
However, an older k has always been a dream of mine and i came accross a 1987 k100rs with 16,577 original miles on it.

In my opinion, the bike needs the following:

- 2 new tires.
- tune up. (bike "sputters" at lower rpm's, could also be bad/old gas in the tank?)
- left turn signal did not work.

Asking price for the bike is $3,900.00, i offered $2,800.00 based on what the bike needs, also needs a little cosmetical tlc.

I blue booked it on kelley blue book:
- suggested retail value: $3,245.00
- trade-in value (good condition): $2,225.00

in order to get a fair private party value, i usually add both numbers and divide them by 2, this comes up to a total of $2,735.00.

So, i think my offer of 2,800.00 is good, but can not be sure.
The owner "was going to think about it", he of course uses the low mileage as his bargaining chip.

Below, please find a picture of the k100rs, i will add a couple more shortly thereafter.

-----> i would really like to know what you k-bike veterans think this bike should be worth? I like it, but do not want to spend too much money on it as i am on a budget.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• K100RS3.jpg
    K100RS3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 376
Nice looking bike!!

I'm fairly new to this, but I can tell you this, early K clocks had all kinds of problems. I'm not sure if you're sure about the mileage. And if you are, it is my understanding that the best thing for a Kbike is having it ridden, not sitting. So it might not be the sweet thing the seller is trying to make it out to be.

That said, I'd check out Ted Verrill's site. http://www.verrill.com/moto/kbikebuyingguide.shtml for what to look for on a kbike. I'd look at the splines. I'd also look at the brake pedal. Is there wear? I believe it was Don who stated that the wear shows up there when the clock is lying.

If the fellow accepts your offer, change every liquid in it and lube the splines, front and back. Get a new fuel filter and check the air box for mice and friends, cleaning the airfilter. A new set of plugs wouldn't be a bad idea also. Especially if you are currently seeing bad gas. Also, check the condition of the engine rubber, fuel hoses, coolant hoses and the like.

DAMHIK

If you're after an early K bike this one looks good and has (apparently) low mileage. Check that the clock is working, and inspect the brake rotors for wear. At this mileage the lip in the outer edge of the rotor should be barely discernable, if its deep, look further.
The tune up issue could be expensive. My guess at a reasonable price for the bike as it stands, in this market, is about $2500. If the few faults we corrected, perhaps $3k.
:)

Looks like a nice un-molested example. Most bike that age have been dropped, customized, abused and sun-faded. If the only issues are what you stated and you really like it, grab it. $2800 is probably a good price, just ask yourself if you decide to sell it again will you be able to get a good return on you investment?

I had an '85 RS in Red. Interesting looking at the dash panel, no accessory switches so no heated grips, no E-flasher switch, etc., The tires are for sure in need or replacement and then that bike can be leaned over way more than the current tires have been....wheee....The BMW roundel on the tank is more discolored than I would expect given how red the paint still is, but maybe the roundels oxidize with age rather than sun exposure.... Rear shock appears to be stock, and if so would benefit by an upgrade. I would ask about the missing yellow reflector for the right fork leg....how did that happen? Those are the things that pop into my mind that say don't necessarily trust the mileage (odometer/clock). But if it runs strong and you like it, the price is right (yours), and they are easy to work on.

Go for it!

I also had a red FYK like this one. Seeing it really brings back some very fond memories.

What others have said above (especially Robsara) is true.

All in all, it looks like a very decent example that I'd grab if I could (especially at or under $3000).

I'd also check out the condition of the splines, rubber bits, insides of the fuel tank and so on. Yes, the mileage could be off but given the overall appearance and lack of paint fade I'd guess it may be accurate in this case. A couple new rondels and some spiffing up here and there and you could have a real sweet bike.

Warning---the stock saddle is pretty uncomfortable after 50 miles or so---I'd replace it with a Corbin or something to your liking if I were you.

Do put some new Bridgestones on it and ride it like it was meant to be ridden; K100s are a blast on the open road. The FYKs had the hotter European model cams and the extra oomph that made it such a rocket...:wave

'85 is the "FYK" (higher performance engine), not this '87.
as previously mentioned, sitting is not good for these bikes, so very low miles is not a great benefit. it will need time & parts to bring it back from its long sleep.
i wouldn't give more than $2500 for it, especially in this economy.

That looks like a pretty clean K-bike from the pics, he's going to get $3400 or more for it, I don't care what the economy is like. The major concern would be the rear main engine seal, it doesn't like inactivity (or activity actually) and likely needs replacement if the owner hasn't had this job performed. Its a BIG job. $800 at a dealer last time I looked. Tranny clutch and everything has to come out, so its all labor to install an $18 seal. You might use that as a bargaining chip, along with the tires you mentioned.

That looks like a pretty clean K-bike from the pics, he's going to get $3400 or more for it, I don't care what the economy is like.

Really??

1.The bike doesn't run right. Could be simple and cheap. Maybe not. If it was, don't you think the owner would make it right BEFORE he tried to sell it.

2. Junk tires.

3. Old shock.

4. Faded roundels and switches.

5. 1st generation saddlebags (not very desireable)

6. Turn signal doesn't work. (If it's just a bulb, that gives you an idea of how lazy the owner is with maintenance. If it's not the bulb?????)

7. No engine spoiler.

8. Who knows what the REAL mileage is?

Ya can't tell a book by it's cover and ya can't tell how good a bike is by some pictures on the internet.

I would say the offer sounds right based on the above defects and questions.

But there could still be further things wrong with it (Fuel Pump damper, injector boots, odometer, Clutch splines, rear splines, etc.) that could make even that be a bad deal.

:dance:dance:dance

What Lee Said.

I paid about half that on my K75 standard. It looks At least that good, if not better. And has the more desirable bags.
Some days I wish I paid half what I paid.

You're still looking at an old vehicle, and things wear down. Even if they sit.

rob

Looks similar to mine -

+1 on these comments -

• 2 new tires
  • new Fuel filter, lines and likely damper in the tank (lines and damper will have dissolved into tar by now)
  • New rear shock
  • All new fluids (Rear, Trans, Engine, coolant and brake)
    New Seat suggested if you plan to log serious milage
    New Battery
    Main seal

The bike looks really clean - the above stuff is not cheap, but K's are good for the shade tree mechanics of the world. A Clymer manual and basic tools and you're set.

Great machines. Way more powerful and flexible than R Bikes, though I like both.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot, like you mentioned, stock seat.:hungover

If ALL that was taken care of, he could get $3500-4000. But it's not.

Retracting my initial enthusiasm

Boy, did I have a rethink after reading the latest posts (and also realizing this is an '87, not an '85 FYK as I was thinking; sorry).

It's true that one cannot get an accurate picture of a bike's health via pictures over the internet, DAMHIK. Looking closely at all the photos again I do see a bike that looks as though it was somewhat neglected---despite the unfaded paint (maybe a repaint?).

I really wonder what happened to the right front fork leg; as someone else already pointed out, it's missing its refector and has what looks like some silver paint sprayed over the bottom part---maybe it hit something like a can of paint and was never repaired.

The muffler looks a tad ratty, the tires are shoddy and there are some nicks here and there. Lee's point about the turn signal not working is spot on---why not fix something so minor (if minor, indeed)?

The potential main seal replacement might be the ultimate deal killer for me. If you still want the bike I'd suggest proceeding with great caution.

Really try to learn the complete story behind this bike before plunking down the readies...and remember that other K100RSs are out there---this is not the only one for sale (although it may seem like it when you're hot for a particular bike).

Patience is a virtue.

Just out of curiosity, didn't the 87 have the 2 piece fender and a fork brace? The K75's all did, I would of thought they changed the K100's by then. The one piece fender and no brace would be less desirable, IMO.

Just out of curiosity, didn't the 87 have the 2 piece fender and a fork brace? The K75's all did, I would of thought they changed the K100's by then. The one piece fender and no brace would be less desirable, IMO.

According to the parts fische, they changed to the newer forks with brace and 2 piece fender in May of '86. Could it be that the bike was in an accident and they replaced the front forks? The paint sure is shiny and the fork paint sure is tore up. Things just aren't adding up.

Last edited:
Well, let me just say that I am once again VERY impressed about all the responses from this forum. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH. It is good to know to have friends out there who will look out for one another, in a game show, you would be my "life line", the friend I would call.
I wrote the owner of thew "K" a nice e-mail, explaining to him my thoughts behind my offer. So far, no response at all.
I always say, if it was not meant to be, it was not meant to be and based on all of your input, I will pass on this bike. My RT is a gem with just 16K miles and I love her, I do not need this "K" bike.

Once again, thank you ALL VERY MUCH, I do sincerely appreciate it.

According to the parts fische, they changed to the newer forks with brace and 2 piece fender in May of '86. Could it be that the bike was in an accident and the replaced the front forks? The paint sure is shiny and the fork paint sure is tore up. Things just aren't adding up.

You're more than welcome, Jochen. Hope you aren't going to give up on getting an early K-bike now, though---there's some pretty neat ones out there from time to time. Maybe a better one will turn up soon.

Back