• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crazy idea? I need an honest opinion

rvint

It took almost 35 years of riding before I bought my first BMW (a sweet BCR) but I can honestly say that IÔÇÖve never had a bike that I enjoyed so much and have found that you beemer folk are unlike any other group that IÔÇÖve been around (in a good way). That said, IÔÇÖve recently fallen in love with a 2002 K1200 LT-C with 70,000 miles that IÔÇÖm considering trading for but, there are a few unique issues about this deal that I need to share and hope to get your true feelings about the matter. First, my trade-in for this bike is a 2004 Goldwing GL1800 with only 28,000 miles. I bought this bike a couple of years ago with 12,000 miles on it, from an older gentleman who soon after buying it new, decided that it was just too big and he was getting too old. IÔÇÖve had Goldwings before and although I canÔÇÖt say that I donÔÇÖt enjoy this particular one, thereÔÇÖs just something missing in itÔÇÖs personality. From what I can tell, my trade-in value for the wing is about $9,000 and they are asking $6,300 for the K-bike. When I consider this deal, based on just the mileage difference even I think IÔÇÖm crazy but, when I realize how much I enjoy the character of my BCR and the people that IÔÇÖve met thus far while owning a BMW, I start to think differently. Again, thereÔÇÖs nothing wrong with the wing and I do like it but I get an entirely different feeling when just looking at this K-bike. Plus, my wife loves it, which always helps. In terms of accessories and equipment, these bikes are nearly identical (minus the heated goodies found on the K). In some ways I feel like IÔÇÖm going backwards with the deal because I know absolutely nothing about the K-series so yes, my attraction to this bike is so far, based upon looks only. Please give me your opinion of not only this bike but this deal as well. With 70K on the odometer, what kinds of maintenance can I expect? and at what mileage point/s? Also, is there anything you would bargain with the dealer on including the maintenance side of things? As of now, they are not offering a warranty with the bike either.

Emotion aside, it appears to be a bad deal to me; but, I suspect you already know that. The more financially prudent course would be to sell the Wing and then go shopping for the BMW of your dreams. If the LT that is the current apple of your eye is still around, then so be it. If not, then there will be other, and perhaps better bikes for you.

emotion aside, it appears to be a bad deal to me; but, i suspect you already know that. The more financially prudent course would be to sell the wing and then go shopping for the bmw of your dreams. If the lt that is the current apple of your eye is still around, then so be it. If not, then there will be other, and perhaps better bikes for you.

+1

It's heart versus head. The head says unless you can get the dealer to make up the difference, I'd walk away, too. But some days the heart wins out. And just maybe that isn't the dumbest thing that ever happened. Best of luck either way.

if they're looking to trade you straight up- fuggedaboutit.
if they'll give you the difference in parts and/or service credit- why not? life is too short to ride bikes that don't fill your heart.

LT for Wing

I had a 2000 K1200LT until a few months ago. Bought it so my wife and grown daughters would be comfortable on long trips (compared to an R80RT). The bike was perfect for two up touring...much like your Gold Wing. When I rode alone, I could push the bike and it handled very well for a big machine in the mountains and foothills of the eastern USA. Put on 90,000 great miles, most of it solo. It handled better than the previous 3 R series BMW I put more than 300,000 miles on. Mostly because of the great suspension and brakes. It looked like a new machine and people were shocked to hear it was more than 10 years old.

The biggest drawback was in parking lots, campgrounds and steep downhill gravel roads where the high weight made it a challenge.

Wife no longer rides, grown daughters to busy with their families and we made a decision that this old grandfather would not be taking the grandkids on trips (except for the one who finished his enlistment in the Marine Corps). I wanted something to play on so I traded it in for a K1200RS. The LT was worth more so I agreed to shop credit with my dealer.

There are lots of used K1200LT's out there, so take your time and get the best deal for your Wing.

Good responses to your post. Keep in mind, this is the best time to buy. It is a buyers market due to the time of year and economy. Let me re-enforce. . sell the wing yourself, you always get a better deal. Then look for an 05 or 06 with lower mileage. They are out there and under $10,000. Reverse, power center stand and a little more power for those years. Take your time and shop around. As said before "use your head not your heart" 49 years of buying and selling bikes and patience will give you the best deals.

k1200LT 06
DR650 07

Good responses to your post. Keep in mind, this is the best time to buy. It is a buyers market due to the time of year and economy. Let me re-enforce. . sell the wing yourself, you always get a better deal. Then look for an 05 or 06 with lower mileage. They are out there and under $10,000. Reverse, power center stand and a little more power for those years. Take your time and shop around. As said before "use your head not your heart" 49 years of buying and selling bikes and patience will give you the best deals.

k1200LT 06
DR650 07

+1, while 70k on a "brick" isn't the end of the world, you can do better by selling the GW and taking cash with you when you purchase your next bike. I had a '99LT for about a year, hoped my wife would ride more, she didn't so I got a K1200S. Love the K bikes!

Keep your wing for now, if you want KLT keep shopping as there are new units with less miles readily available.

Best,

GTRider

emotion aside, it appears to be a bad deal to me; but, i suspect you already know that. The more financially prudent course would be to sell the wing and then go shopping for the bmw of your dreams. If the lt that is the current apple of your eye is still around, then so be it. If not, then there will be other, and perhaps better bikes for you.

+1

Back