• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help choosing an oil

haxbmw

On my 1200RTLC the owners manual says "SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (for
instance, molybdenum-based substances) are
prohibited because they would attack the coatings
on engine components. BMW Motorrad recommends
that you use the BMW Motorrad oils
available from your BMW Motorrad Dealer."

Does this mean DO NOT use synthetic oil? Im looking 5w-40 oils and they are all synthetic. :banghead

On my 1200RTLC the owners manual says "SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (for

Does this mean DO NOT use synthetic oil? Im looking 5w-40 oils and they are all synthetic. :banghead

Well after reading this over and over a few times I am understanding it as saying that synthetic is alright. The comma after JASO MA2 makes a world of difference.

Opinions?

If it is MA2 go for it. Avoid any oil with Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) is what that says in proper English.

Amsoil 10W-40 for motorcycles wit wet clutch. This is what I run since after 600 mile service. No issues. They don't offer 5W-40. I would say it is between the best available.
It's your choice!

I'm gonna catch flak for this but I got my K-Vest on. If you are not poor, struggling, trying to make ends meet... Spend the extra nickel (the nickel part is a figure of speech people) and take the guess work out of it and just get the BMW stuff. FWIW I've noticed that occasionally as research I assume it's research, is done the "official" spec on the oil changes. I know the rear drive oil on my 2005 R1200RT has changed since I've owned it, to include the quanity ((220ml changed to 180ml)). I think the recommended weight and grade has changed at least once on the engine. Either way, develope that relationship with your dealer. Treat your BMW motorcycle like a golfer treats his bag of clubs, like its a passion, and the equipment used in the pursuit of that passion is the best his wife will allow him to buy.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

I'm gonna catch flak for this but I got my K-Vest on. If you are not poor, struggling, trying to make ends meet... Spend the extra nickel (the nickel part is a figure of speech people) and take the guess work out of it and just get the BMW stuff. FWIW I've noticed that occasionally as research I assume it's research, is done the "official" spec on the oil changes. I know the rear drive oil on my 2005 R1200RT has changed since I've owned it, to include the quanity ((220ml changed to 180ml)). I think the recommended weight and grade has changed at least once on the engine. Either way, develope that relationship with your dealer. Treat your BMW motorcycle like a golfer treats his bag of clubs, like its a passion, and the equipment used in the pursuit of that passion is the best his wife will allow him to buy.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Yea I think I'm going this route, not that much difference in price. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree. You spent $20K+ on the top of the line bike, you can afford to buy the BMW oil.

I can hardly believe you guys are saying this. Whatever happened to "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the owner"? :) Am I now confronted with a new generation of owners?

Absolutely nothing in that paragraph suggests not using synthetic oil.

The BMW oil recommended is synthetic.

CASTROL makes a 5-40 fully synthetic oil, if you cannot find a reasonable price near your area. Amazon has it by the sixpac, with Prime no shipping charges
We usually buy several cases at a time
Like Paul says don't go cheap on oil

Jim

But when you try to buy the BMW recommended oil, don't you get 2 or 3 different choices and opinions at the parts counter? I'd say we need to take the time to carefully research what it is that BMW recommends now for each particular year and model.

I agree, what I posted was straight out of the owners manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hardly believe you guys are saying this. Whatever happened to "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the owner"? :) Am I now confronted with a new generation of owners?

Welcome to the new age of BMW owners. It's a whole new day in America. All that common sense you been writing for the last 200 years is finally sinking in with us young whipper snappers.

But when you try to buy the BMW recommended oil, don't you get 2 or 3 different choices and opinions at the parts counter? I'd say we need to take the time to carefully research what it is that BMW recommends now for each particular year and model.

Never happened, and frankly, if that did happen I'd walk to the service department and get the opinion of the BMW certified master technician. If your BMW dealer doesn't have one of those, tell... don't ask the owner, yes owner, he or she needs to get one yesterday. (Are there any female BMW dealership owners?). I was just trying to be politically correct there in case there were.

I believe I read that when BMW was making the Castrol to Shell changeover that the Shell product is made from natural gas.

I attended the oil seminar at the Billings rally and that is exactly what the Shell guy said. He went on to say that the oil is tested by BMW in wethead bikes to check clutch operation, with some kind of test.

Harry

Ha, if you think Paul's years of technical writing included recommending that you buy BMW branded synthetic oil, then I think you may need to reread all his articles and forum posts. Castrol 4T Dino anyone?

Ha, if you think Paul's years of technical writing included recommending that you buy BMW branded synthetic oil, then I think you may need to reread all his articles and forum posts. Castrol 4T Dino anyone?

First, I was being funny, second, regardless of any specific recommendation Paul made, if the recommendation fits the "common sense" block, I'm still good in my quib.

Welcome to the new age of BMW owners. It's a whole new day in America. All that common sense you been writing for the last 200 years is finally sinking in with us young whipper snappers.

Never happened, and frankly, if that did happen I'd walk to the service department and get the opinion of the BMW certified master technician. If your BMW dealer doesn't have one of those, tell... don't ask the owner, yes owner, he or she needs to get one yesterday. (Are there any female BMW dealership owners?). I was just trying to be politically correct there in case there were.

Until she sold it - Gina's BMW, Iowa City, Iowa

Back