• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moly oil? 12K service

cap

Former Member
I have been rounding up materials for my upcoming 12k service (2017 R1200RT) that I will do myself. That prompted me to actually read the service section of my rider's manual carefully. And buried in there is a note that moly-based "...substances are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components..." (section 11, p. 173)

As a frugal shopper, I visited beemerboneyard looking for one of their 12k service kits... and I found that they are selling moly-based oils in their kits. I generally trust beemerboneyard, and have purchased a variety of tools and replacement parts from them over the years. But this seems like a clear error.

I see that many are buying Castrol Power 1 oil on Amazon instead of BMW Advantec. Castrol in 5W-40 is really expensive compared to their 10W-50. There is a brand called Ravenol with the correct spec available for lower cost. I am not familiar with that brand. Any thoughts on the value of spending the extra bucks for Castrol in the correct 5W-40 viscosity range (vs Castrol 10W-50), especially for summer riding? Or experience with Ravenol?

I am leaning towards buying everything on Amazon except the crush washers and O-ring. For reference, here are the part numbers I am planning to use:

Mahle LX3595 Air Filter
Mahle OC 619 Oil Filter
NGK LMAR9AI-8 Spark Plugs

Ravenol JASO MA2 oil 5W-40
Castrol 5W-40 6-pack
Castrol 10W-50 6-pack

Thanks, Cap

I was going to buy that Ravenol oil on Amazon but it was on backorder so I went instead with Motul 5W-40 full synthetic, also on Amazon.

I couldn't tell if Liqui-Moly actually had moly in it, so I shied away from it. I suspect it doesn't, but I couldn't verify that. The Motul seems to be the equivalent of the Ravenol...

I have been rounding up materials for my upcoming 12k service (2017 R1200RT) that I will do myself. That prompted me to actually read the service section of my rider's manual carefully. And buried in there is a note that moly-based "...substances are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components..." (section 11, p. 173)

As a frugal shopper, I visited beemerboneyard looking for one of their 12k service kits... and I found that they are selling moly-based oils in their kits. I generally trust beemerboneyard, and have purchased a variety of tools and replacement parts from them over the years. But this seems like a clear error.

I see that many are buying Castrol Power 1 oil on Amazon instead of BMW Advantec. Castrol in 5W-40 is really expensive compared to their 10W-50. There is a brand called Ravenol with the correct spec available for lower cost. I am not familiar with that brand. Any thoughts on the value of spending the extra bucks for Castrol in the correct 5W-40 viscosity range (vs Castrol 10W-50), especially for summer riding? Or experience with Ravenol?

I am leaning towards buying everything on Amazon except the crush washers and O-ring. For reference, here are the part numbers I am planning to use:

Mahle LX3595 Air Filter
Mahle OC 619 Oil Filter
NGK LMAR9AI-8 Spark Plugs

Ravenol JASO MA2 oil 5W-40
Castrol 5W-40 6-pack
Castrol 10W-50 6-pack

Thanks, Cap

Cap, where did you see that Liqui Moly cantains Moly? I haven't been able to see that it does.

Jay

Cap, where did you see that Liqui Moly cantains Moly? I haven't been able to see that it does.

Jay

Hmm. I read the safety data sheet, and they don't say more than the product is "mineral oil." I gather that you think the brand name might be misleading? Given the uncertainty, and the other options available, I will avoid Liqui-Moly for now.

Cap

Back