• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need advise on best scenic route from Atlanta to Vancouver Island May 8 th

T

twowheelsonly

Advise on best ride routes from Atlanta to Seattle early May

I have a big trip planned to ride from Atlanta GA to Vancouver Island, I need to arrive there on May 8th.. I am sure some of the roads I would like to travel will be good and I am planning to try to do as much back roads as possible.

I am concerned about the west coast mountain passes due to snow but I can avoid most places if I have to.. I plan to check with the Highway Depts before I plan going over any mountain passes, I am planning on camping a couple of nights then hosteling/hotelling it the other nights.. I would need to leave about April 30th to May 1st to get there by the 9th.. My plan is to Ride from Atlanta to Seattle WA then take a Ferry to Vancouver Island. I have never done a solo trip like this before so I appreciate any good advise from my fellow riders.. important things to take for a long road trip

FYI I have new tires, Heated riding gear, a good saddle and my bikes been serviced so I have all the gear I think I need just need some good routes going North West that I can ride that will keep me covering the country in an efficient time frame

I have ridden 500 to 700 miles per day with not too much problems.. I usually need a 3rd day to rest up so I can probably knock off a couple of hundred miles on that day, I plan to ride the super slab if I need to catch up on my time, subject to weather or other delays, I have tentatively picked back roads that travel through or by the following cities:

Proposed Ride Route

Atlanta to Nashville TN,
to St. Louis,
to Kansas City MO,
to Denver CO,
to Cheyenne,
to Jackson WY
to Idaho Falls ID,
to Spokane WA
to Seattle
to Victoria BC

Thanks for your help and tips
Stewart (Twowheelsonly)

Last edited:
If, IF you have the time the best route will be the longest most roundabout way you can go! Consider this is a great time to meander up through TN,western NC,KY,VA,WV,etc. via the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Consider taking something besides the slab westward such as US hwys,150/50/24/36 etc. Some western passes are open then , some not. Make sure you stop and smell the roses on what you are calling rest days. You will not "see" these places from the slab! On Vancouver Island-if you like flowers/gardens, then go to the famous gardens there. For us green thumb types it is like a visit to plant Mecca(pardon using religion). There are some coast hikes on the islan that are special. Might want to come into the west coast somewehre in CA so you can enjoy the pacific coastal ride. This could go on much further...

Tennessee Through Kansas

If you want a mix of nice 2 lane and non-Interstate 4 lane roads I would recommend that northwest of Chatanooga you turn off off I24 on 41A/64 through Winchester and stay on 64 until reaching Selmer, south of Jackson,TN. Turn north on 45 to Fulton, KY. At Fulton take 51 north to Wickliffe, KY and cross the Ohio and Mississippi at Cairo, IL.

Cross Missouri on Highway 60 to Springfield. At Springfield,MO turn north on 13 to Collins, MO. Take a left and head west on Highway 54. Stay on 54 until El Dorado, Kansas (near Wichita), then north on 77about 30 miles and turn west on Highway 56 to Great Bend. At Great Bend stay on a westerly course on Highway 96 (56 turns southwesterly at Great Bend). This is more interesting than I-70 by a long shot.

Once in Colorado you can angle up to Denver quite easily.
This route will provide a good mix of scenery and you still can make good time. It beats the Interstate IMO.

Thanks for the info

If you want a mix of nice 2 lane and non-Interstate 4 lane roads I would recommend that northwest of Chatanooga you turn off off I24 on 41A/64 through Winchester and stay on 64 until reaching Selmer, south of Jackson,TN. Turn north on 45 to Fulton, KY. At Fulton take 51 north to Wickliffe, KY and cross the Ohio and Mississippi at Cairo, IL.

Cross Missouri on Highway 60 to Springfield. At Springfield,MO turn north on 13 to Collins, MO. Take a left and head west on Highway 54. Stay on 54 until El Dorado, Kansas (near Wichita), then north on 77about 30 miles and turn west on Highway 56 to Great Bend. At Great Bend stay on a westerly course on Highway 96 (56 turns southwesterly at Great Bend). This is more interesting than I-70 by a long shot.

Once in Colorado you can angle up to Denver quite easily.
This route will provide a good mix of scenery and you still can make good time. It beats the Interstate IMO.

:dance I will check this out on my AAA tripmap.. sounds like a good way to see part of the country.. I will let you know....
Thanks Again!

Wish I could do this ride...

If, IF you have the time the best route will be the longest most roundabout way you can go! Consider this is a great time to meander up through TN,western NC,KY,VA,WV,etc. via the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Consider taking something besides the slab westward such as US hwys,150/50/24/36 etc. Some western passes are open then , some not. Make sure you stop and smell the roses on what you are calling rest days. You will not "see" these places from the slab! On Vancouver Island-if you like flowers/gardens, then go to the famous gardens there. For us green thumb types it is like a visit to plant Mecca(pardon using religion). There are some coast hikes on the islan that are special. Might want to come into the west coast somewehre in CA so you can enjoy the pacific coastal ride. This could go on much further...

I need to do a pretty direct route to Van. Island, will definitely check out Van. Island while I'm there... I wish I was rich and didn't have to work but I got 3 weeks to do the trip with about 5 days to rest and visit family and friends.. Thanks for your suggestions
Stewart

Back