• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI connection

ccolwell

Apologies if this has been beaten to death but my search didn't get me anywhere. I finally got around to learning the GPS on my 20 R1250R. I rather expected that when I scrolled to Navigation I would get some control over the GPS. All I get is "connect app to start navigation." And for some reason, my BMW Connectivity App (iphone) doesn't connect to the bike either. It did once last fall but I haven't used it since. I did make sure phone was bluetoothed to the garmin. It also tried to link to ICC6.5in and failed. The google says that's the bike.

Any suggestions?

Please clarify exactly what devices you are trying to link. It sounds like you have the TFT display. Your title refers to a BMW Nav VI, yet the text mentions a Garmin. Also, it helps to know which headset you are using. There’s a link here in the forums to a video that may be helpful IF your devices match the ones used in the video. Here’s a starting point for some YT videos on the subj3ct:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bmw+bluetooth+pairing+to+tft

Best,
DeVern

So, not trying to do anything but control the Navigator (made by Garmin but my bad for mixing terms) from the handlebar multi-controller. I have an iphone and I wonder if the Navigator connects to the bike through the phone. I did get the phone to bluetooth link to the bike finally.

So, not trying to do anything but control the Navigator (made by Garmin but my bad for mixing terms) from the handlebar multi-controller. I have an iphone and I wonder if the Navigator connects to the bike through the phone. I did get the phone to bluetooth link to the bike finally.

Assuming that your bike came equipped with the NavPrep mount for the Nav VI, and the TFT display panel:
On the left handgrip you have a button that when pressed and released cycles through the information that displays at the top of the TFT (Fuel level, ambient temperature, TPMS values, etc). Press upward and hold that button for a few seconds and the wonderwheel switches to controlling the Nav VI. Press the button downward and wonderwheel control switches back to the TFT. The Nav VI connects to the bike directly through the NavPrep mount that is wired into the bike. HTH,

DeVern

Nav/phone connect

on my 20 RT the Nav (BMW Nav IV, V or VI) connects directly to the Audio unit from its cradle in the dash. Once connected the software is activated and will show the nav options in the display thru the wonder wheel.
Depending on your helmet and its com link, BMW or other, the helmet needs to connect to the nav unit and does so thru the menu on the wonder wheel. Pair helmet 1 or 2. Your telephone is then paired to the Nav unit thru the menu on the Nav unit.
Non BMW comm links and helmets may or may NOT connect and communicate with the BMW audiosystem requiring different set ups. I.E. connect phone to helmet, then try to connect helmet to audio unit, etc. Non BMW nav units may not connect to the audio unit. Be sure to check that before you buy.

I have used the BMW com discipline for 8 years on three different bikes, Ks and R with different BMW Nav units (IV and VI) without any fails ever.

fun fun fun

Assuming that your bike came equipped with the NavPrep mount for the Nav VI, and the TFT display panel:
On the left handgrip you have a button that when pressed and released cycles through the information that displays at the top of the TFT (Fuel level, ambient temperature, TPMS values, etc). Press upward and hold that button for a few seconds and the wonderwheel switches to controlling the Nav VI. Press the button downward and wonderwheel control switches back to the TFT. The Nav VI connects to the bike directly through the NavPrep mount that is wired into the bike. HTH,

DeVern

Aha! Just the info I needed. I'll try that later today.

Thanks.

Back