• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My bike just quit

burnbender

I have a R1150R. I recently completed a full 24k suggested tune up. I pulled my bike out of the garage, washed and waxed it a took it for a ride around the block. Half way around the bike died. I quick check told me I had no spark and no fuel being supplied by the injectors. I had to push the bike the rest of the way home. I am at a loss. I know how to use a wrench but electronics are like rocket science to me. Any ideas or suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? It's a shame to have a beautiful bike just sitting.

I have a R1150R. I recently completed a full 24k suggested tune up. I pulled my bike out of the garage, washed and waxed it a took it for a ride around the block. Half way around the bike died. I quick check told me I had no spark and no fuel being supplied by the injectors. I had to push the bike the rest of the way home. I am at a loss. I know how to use a wrench but electronics are like rocket science to me. Any ideas or suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? It's a shame to have a beautiful bike just sitting.

Is it by chance a 2002 model. The early 1150 bikes used the same Hall Effect Sensor (HES) as the 1100 bikes did. And the insulation used on the individual wires in the bundle dries, cracks, and falls off. All unseen inside the outer covering of the bundle. The introduction of any moisture (bike wash or rain recently is always the first question with these symptoms) causes the wires to short between them.

You can buy a new HES or get yours rewired for much less $$. Contact GS Addict by pm on this forum. He does a great job rewiring the things.

That's interesting. My bike is a 2003. You say it's possible the Hall sensor insulation has gone bad? Is that correct? This would stop the fuel injectors and spark?

The washing and immediate failure sure sounds like Pauls diagnosis. Not sure when the insulation to the HES was updraded on the production line, but have had a few 1150's and two had the insulation faiures. Both after a heavy rain ride.

And yes, HES signals spark and injectors

I am brand new to MOA. This may sound stupid but how would I go about contacting GS Addict?

On any username, click on it and you will see a menu including private message. GSAddict recently posted in the oil cooler thread a few down/ up the page from your thread.
The notification you have a message is at the top of your screen next to the picture of the month under Notifications.

On any username, click on it and you will see a menu including private message. GSAddict recently posted in the oil cooler thread a few down/ up the page from your thread.
The notification you have a message is at the top of your screen next to the picture of the month under Notifications.

Thanks for all of your help. I look forward to continued communication via the forum.

That's interesting. My bike is a 2003. You say it's possible the Hall sensor insulation has gone bad? Is that correct? This would stop the fuel injectors and spark?

Yes. The 2002 and some 2003 models still used the older style wiring bundle that was a disgrace and a disaster from the 1100 models. If they haven't failed yet they will soon. Your symptoms scream "bad HES wiring."

For added info: I am a generally "green" advocate, but EU requirement for biodegradable wiring insulation was a joke and a travesty. But there it was and it was the cause of a lot of grief for the buyers of EU cars and bikes back in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Welcome to the forum!
This thread here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90148-1100-RT-died-on-road
is a recent thread on the subject including HES (Hall Effect Sensors) and how they effect and work on your bike.
On page 2, you will see GSAddict and his posts. All the responses to his rebuilding of the HES makes me think that it is "better than factory". You can click on a Members Username and a small box will appear and "private message" will be an option.....OR- you can click the tool bar above and start your own. Notifications will be in the above right of the screen. I'll send you one so as you can have a peek on how it works.
Good luck.
Gary

I’m a satisfied GSAddict customer. I recently had him rewire my hes and he did an excellent job. He will send you instructions on how to remove it and if you follow them it’s an easy job.

For added info: I am a generally "green" advocate, but EU requirement for biodegradable wiring insulation was a joke and a travesty. But there it was and it was the cause of a lot of grief for the buyers of EU cars and bikes back in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Biodegradable wiring insulation? Wow... that explains the disintegration of the wiring wrap (the stuff that protects multiple wires) on my old 04 R1150RS, a friend's identical model bike of the same year, and another friend's 04 K1200GT! Over the years, we've re-wrapped some of the wire bundles because the original stuff just flecked away. My youngest son's recent acquisition, a 1996 K1100RS in disassembled form, does not have any such issues with its wiring.

Instructions????

care to share them? (assuming that GSADDICT wouldn't mind). I'm in the process of replacing my HES as well... and yes mine failed during the rain. Once i install the new one, the old one will be going out to GSADDICT as well.

I’m a satisfied GSAddict customer. I recently had him rewire my hes and he did an excellent job. He will send you instructions on how to remove it and if you follow them it’s an easy job.

I had the same on my 2002R a few weeks ago and sent the HES to GSAddict. It’s in route back to me and hopefully will be installed by next weekend. The responses on the forum have been very helpful. The Sensor is not difficult to remove if you follow the procedure.

You should take GSAddict up on his re&re offer. When you remove the tank I’d suggest checking the drain line as well. Mine was stopped up at the pump assembly and took some effort to get cleared of the corrosion. When I remove the tank I disconnect one of the two hoses at the front side of the coupler and one at the back side so as not to get them mixed up when reinstalling.

Back