• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

R50/5 tune up

Got a new set of points and condenser to install on the 50. When I started to install them, I noticed the heads of the little screws were in bad shape. I know better. Should have got new ones when I got the other parts. Went down to the local hardware store and got some screws. When I started to use them, I couldn't bring myself to use them; ordered new ones from the local BMW dealer. Also ordered extras. Got them and when I examined them they were a little different. The 2 screws that hold the points plate were shc screws. They use a 3 mm allen wrench. The points are attached with a phillips head screw. I think both are and improvement over the old slotted screws. Everybody probably allready knows this, most likely I'm just late to the party. :groovy

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 248.jpg
The old screw is holding the points to the plate. The new phillips head screw in the 4 mm hole and the new metric shcs in the 0.5 pitch slot. I'm also showing the metric screw identifier plate, Metric thread pitch gauge, and 3 mm allen wrench.

Last Saturday, the Old Bike Club and the RAMS had a nice ride to Mason, Tn. to Bozo's BBQ for lunch. My not noticing those deformed screws cost me a nice ride to a great BBQ restaurant and a good ride. Gotta start paying more attention. My bad. :banghead

Bob's BMW

Took a freight run to Oxen Hill, Md.. Got thru with that, and headed over to Bob's. Had a good visit at the dealership and museum. Got a coffee cup and a helmet liner. Left my credit card in the van. I have little self control. Visited with Bob, he was busy doing something. Hated to leave, but I did with my card not maxed out. No fun, but financially ahead.

David Adams Shop Roanoke/Salem Va.

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 256.jpg
Usually working on bikes, but taking some time to butcher out some some venison.

Nice Bikes

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 259.jpg
David does an equal amount of riding and wrenching. Met David at Daytona Bike Week at Bulow BMW campground back in 1990. Hard to believe that almost 25 years has just flown by.

Winchester Motorsports

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 253.jpg
Nice little shop on I-81. Mom and Pop bike store and their good folks. Had a good vist with Carl Lussi and his wife. :thumb Made my day. Thx for the coffee.

Frontline BMW/Roanoke-Salem Va.

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 254.jpg
Waymon Pack a sales professional at the dealership.:thumb I also stopped by the old BMW dealership in Knoxvile, Tn.. They are no more, kinda sad. No dealer now in east Tn.

Veterans Day

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 263.jpg
A heartfelt salute to all our veterans in their service to defend our country and protect our freedom. My brother graciously posed for the flag raising. He is a retired Air Force sargent. 20 years active duty from the Vetnam War through the 1st Gulf War. Thanks Brother for your service. :thumb

Last edited:
Back to the Hanger- last Friday.

Hadn't been in a couple months. The guy's wern't sure it was me. I've grown a full beard since the last visit. Kinda quiet, just Spencer and Rick. They were hard at work. One lift had a R1100GS. Spencer was doing an extensive brake job. I think new rotor, pads, fluids. Spencer was reassembling the components, he said a Jesus clip was missing. What? Missing, Lost, Gone, Disappeared. We looked hi, lo, back, forth. Nothing. Walked over got a broom and started sweeping. Worked up a few piles. Got down and started gleaning thru that junk. Finally found that little sucker, it was a very small circlip. That is just too small. Secures the pin that runs thru the pads. Ok, I made myself useful with a broom. Whatever it takes. :doh

Back to the Hanger-last Friday Not.

Started getting phone texts Friday mourning. Servicing a HP2. Had every intention of going. Started the mourning raking leaves, never stopped. Leaves, leaves, more leaves. Yukes, more yukes. I thinks I raked enough leaves to fill 200 large wheelborrow loads. I'm sick of leaves. Missed a great tech session at the hanger. Leaves, Bah, Humbug. :banghead

Olde Bike Club Christmas Party 2014

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 268.jpg
The party and meet and greet was at Colletta's Restaurant on Appling Rd. A long time Italian favorite in Memphis

Back