• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Sad news my friend. The pecan trees in my area produce good about 1 in 3 years. Maybe next year yours will produce good.

Turning a Taper on a Lathe

Got to the machine shop a little late. Practiced turning a taper on the lathe. Offset the tailstock to get taper.
73482677-BED9-4925-B08A-EDA8D40A716E.jpeg
Really need the lathe taper attachment to do this job.

Tail Stock Offset

9D41D9AF-9DE0-4A17-8F51-5D085FFCDDF3.jpeg
Here U see the off set of the tailstock of the base or by the two scribed lines. The two scribed lines lined up is when the tailstock is lined up in the usual true placement setting. :brow

Tailstock Scale

56CAEEB9-9F89-4727-BD07-E602397EE1A3.jpeg
Most lathes have this scale at the rear of the tailstock. The one I was using didn’t have the scale, so I kinda made my own. Taking a break from the handle and work on the hammer head. Most folks are familiar with the claw hammer. The ball peen hammer is the one used in machine shops.
A0477BA9-3C42-4500-BCB6-69E78D3625AA.jpeg a small example.

The Fire Pit at Home

87D21CFE-D0C3-4D3A-9556-CD53367BD0A0.jpeg
Sitting out side at the fire pit; all good. Rain forecasted for later tonight. Clouds rolling in. Felt good to sit out and enjoy the fall weather.:wave

Personal Preference

Those bikes have to much plastic. I like motorcycles where U see the engine. I don’t like removing all the plastic pieces just to get to service points. That’s just me. :dunno

K1200lt

C69C4BF1-193F-411D-9E92-46A70D3053BE.jpeg
Saw this outside Beemer sitting outside the dealership. I remember these bikes as the latest greatest. They were too big for me then and they’re too big for me now. Great for those who can ride them. :brow

Yep, nice bike overall. Got it, because I wanted an Airhead with tubeless tires. Was looking for a R100GS. Couldn’t afford one of those. Picked up this R; pretty cool. I had already picked up the solo seat and rear rack in expectation of getting the GS. The R is a tall bike. It’s basically a GS from the steering neck back. So the GS would probably be to tall for me. As an aside, years ago I was looking for a R80GS. Finally settled for a R80ST. Any way looking to slightly hop up the R and enjoy the ride. :)

From a distance it does look pretty good. Up close; it’s a little dinged up. I can live with that for now. Need to rebuild the front forks and add fork gaiters. Need to ditch the air pulse system and the pre muffler. I gotta a little hot rodder blood in me. Yep, a pretty cool airhead. :thumb

Need to pull the tranny and check to see if the output shaft circlip is present or absent. Do the fix if needed.

Kinematic shifter

09213695-0333-4C85-AA4B-1769B46F4128.jpeg
The shifter gives the operator a faster shift do to a mechanical advantage.
The pic also shows the ribs that reinforce the transmission housing.
B0009F57-29CC-445F-B91B-B8A3ABAC0422.jpeg
The other side of the housing showing the reinforcement ribs. A vast improvement over the early /5 and /6 transmissions.

Kinematic shifter

View attachment 93837
The shifter gives the operator a faster shift do to a mechanical advantage.
The pic also shows the ribs that reinforce the transmission housing.
View attachment 93838
The other side of the housing showing the reinforcement ribs. A vast improvement over the early /5 and /6 transmissions.

Back