• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Associate Degree in Machining Technology

Back in the building for CNC and general machine shop class’s; I passed this display everyday going to and from class.
37E69F2F-1070-4451-A5EC-4B26C2C8B300.jpeg
Stopped one day and and pulled this college degree program out and checked it out.
0F42F52E-4DF5-462B-8785-BF596740510C.jpeg
Hummm.

Pretty cool stuff Barry.
I was watching some machining on TV last night. The explanation for the machine was “9 axis”. Last I was familiar with was “5” axis. The time to make precise, complicated parts is something only dreamed of in the past.

OM

I took the CNC class 2-3 years ago. Did OK. I had planned on going to work in the medical field; it’s clean and pays good. The I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River was found to be structurally deficient. All traffic was diverted to the old I-55 bridge. Traffic backed up for miles in both directions. I wasn’t going to sit in traffic jams all day long. The bridge is reopened now, but it seems there is never ending lane closures on both bridges. Ain’t doing that.

Ball Peen Hammer

Went back to the campus, talked to Rick about the machining degree program. The only way to complete it was doing an independent studies program. Rick would be the oversight instructor and I would complete the program at my own pace. I asked Rick, where do we start. He handed me a print of a ball peen hammer. Make this.
04DB079D-E44A-48B5-B104-8EE2AF155D46.jpeg
F76A5FCF-1EF8-4EEF-97AE-1C6848B44F05.jpeg

Old School/New School

Yep, true. But doing work the old school way still gives a lot of personal satisfaction. Kinda like deer hunting. State of the art high powered rifle and scope is one way. Using a muzzle loader or bow and arrow gives a hunter a lot of personal satisfaction. I respect both.:brow

Basically, I have a complete machine shop all to myself. I knew I could make the hammer head. The handle taper and knurl would take a little practice. This machine shop does not have a lathe with the taper attachment. Will have to use a face plate, lathe dog, dead and live center. Was going to make a lathe dog, Rick, said ‘wait a minute’; went a retrieved a lathe dog.

Face Plate

374B2485-A717-496A-A09F-9DBF8830DFFC.jpeg
Found the face plate attachment; it had never been used. Mounted it on a milling machine and cut a key slot.
4CCACA29-C5D6-4E1C-ADCE-89648CAA7334.jpeg

Nice. :thumb
I’m still using the best center-punch I’ve ever used….turned it and heat treated it myself back in metal shop…..back in the dark ages. :D
OM

Any way, Friday was the last day of school. Closed for Thanksgiving all this week. Back in the shop next Monday. Class dismissed till then. :wave

F0BF6029-AE9B-4282-9AE9-988E79306EE7.jpeg
Sundown my retired Navy veteran buddy called. Time for the West Memphis bar tour. Meet U at Old Airport club at 12:30. I’ll be there. Met Sundown and his navy comrades. Had at toast to the navy. On to the West Memphis VA and a toast to the active service members. Final stop, the 40 and 8 Club. Final toast to all the retired service members. Thanks for Your Service.
F0BF6029-AE9B-4282-9AE9-988E79306EE7.jpeg
2B939C5A-A37F-4B3F-AA65-4FC4ACC35582.jpeg
The Forty and Eight Club

Picking Pecans

8CED6524-EED2-4E10-B08A-5A6532BEA8FE.jpeg
One of my holiday projects. In walking distance from the house. Done gave away about half this amount.
Kathy, my lady friend knew what to do with some of them.
9130E568-C9F7-477C-A17C-F2AA8BDD145A.jpeg :eat
Pecan Pie

Back