• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Maintenance…and Warranty question

collingsbob

I’ve been maintaining my own bikes for almost 50 years..taking the bike to the dealer for maintenance is an alien concept to me. I do understand that my 1300, when it arrives is a highly sophisticated bike which will have items beyond my ability to repair, however I’m pretty sure that I can manage oil and drive lube changes..
Is there any requirement for the initial lube change(s) and service reminder reset to be done by the dealer in order to maintain the warranty - given that I’ll keep good records?

I have never had a problem doing exactly what you do across several newer BMWs (my R1300GS will be my 4th BMW). I have only ever had my other BMWs in for warranty work and as @Motodan recommends I use a GS911 to reset service minders, diagnose faults, etc. I did read somewhere that BMW is now baking the first service cost in so there will be no charge for that. I have never done a first service at a dealer and I probably won't do this one either since the cost of oil/filter, etc. pales in comparison to the hassle of me trailering or riding back to the dealer for a checklist and an oil and filter change. Even doing the initial services and all other non-warranty maintenance myself I have never had a problem getting follow on warranty work or recalls done at a dealer.

I have not heard this.
I'll see if I can find the source and post it.

EDIT: found it, but have not fact checked it and have not seen the order sheet for my bike yet. Source - https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/...ulation-thread.1488916/page-207#post-49272583. In reading it it sure sounds like it might be a one off "free" prepaid maintenance deal that particular buyer either negotiated or their dealer threw in free. The phrase "Ultimate Care" sure sounds like an extended warranty or maint plan to me..

Last edited:
A&S also has a blurb about it so maybe it's a thing? I guess we'll have to wait until one of us takes delivery and tries it.

From the fine print at top:

2024 BMW R 1300 GS Style Option 719​

* No handling or set up fees! * Ask your salesperson how you can get your initial service included with purchase.

EDIT: listed here too - https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/..._US/the-new-2024-bmw-r-1300-gs?language=en_US

From the link:
  1. Equipment
Standard Equipment

• Ultimate Care break-in service included.
  • 1,300 cc air/liquid cooled boxer motor with BMW ShiftCam technology.
  • 6-speed transmission with wet anti-hopping clutch and Cardan driveshaft.

I always figured it was good to have the first service done at the dealership. It gives an owner a chance to see how well the dealerships service department operates as there is a chance that the bike will need to return for something warranty related.
There will be some sort of device needed for a service reset but not resetting the service reminder doesn’t hurt anything. My service reminder has been on for many years as when I brought it to a dealership for a front tire and oil/filter change, the dealership didn’t reset it because- “I didn’t ask for it to be connected to the computer“. :scratch :eek
OM

I'll see if I can find the source and post it.

EDIT: found it, but have not fact checked it and have not seen the order sheet for my bike yet. Source - https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/...ulation-thread.1488916/page-207#post-49272583. In reading it it sure sounds like it might be a one off "free" prepaid maintenance deal that particular buyer either negotiated or their dealer threw in free. The phrase "Ultimate Care" sure sounds like an extended warranty or maint plan to me..
On our 2016 and 2022 bikes I asked for free 600 mile checks and on our 2011 bikes I only had to pay for the oil and filter, no labor.
Before that I did not go back to the dealer for the 600 mile check.
In the future I plan to go in for the 600 mile check even if I have to pay for it.

I’ve been maintaining my own bikes for almost 50 years..taking the bike to the dealer for maintenance is an alien concept to me. I do understand that my 1300, when it arrives is a highly sophisticated bike which will have items beyond my ability to repair, however I’m pretty sure that I can manage oil and drive lube changes..
Is there any requirement for the initial lube change(s) and service reminder reset to be done by the dealer in order to maintain the warranty - given that I’ll keep good records?
Tenequip
I have had services by the dealer done on my new bikes, mainly to maintain the resale value. After the warranty period, I also do most of my maintenance. Lately, repairs by dealers appears quite important to buyers.
Tenequip

Back