• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam timing related to Throttle body code question

BBrowning

I finally got around to doing my winter maintenance. Valve clearance check and camshaft timing, seeing as I have the tools. I have a 2018 R1200GSA that has been throwing a random Left Throttle body correlation codes. Kinda a real pain in the butt as it goes into limp mode and I have to roll to a stop, shut the engine off and restart. Several trip to my Dealer back when the bike was under warranty resulted in a new left throttle body which coincidently didn't fix the issue. For several other reasons I didn't pursue trying to get this fixed at the dealer as I can probably fix it my self. A heathy dose of Stabilant 22 and a full Idle reset seamed to help as I didn't have any issues last summer, maybe once. Still when I graph the signal out of the Throttle grip with the GS 911 I get some wonky signals at idle. It is just a calculated value so do I believe it? I tried to get the pin out chart from BMW for my particular bike but that proved to be mildly frustrating so I have left actually putting the lab scope on both throttle bodies to do a comparison as to what actually going on for now. If it gets worse I guess that is where I am going and I will trace the wiring myself.
Anyways back to the maintenance. On checking the Cam timing I found that the left side was significantly out, multiple mm. Checking the right side it was spot on.. So my curiosity has me ask. Would the Cam timing, All the sensors are on the left side, mess with the intake/exhaust pulses enough to throw off the Throttle body adjustment adaption?? To the point it get screwed enough to throw a code??
Have I answered my own questions? I guess I'll find out once the snow has melted and I start riding again.

I don't know about your throttle body question but I feel when you ride nxt season your bike will idle smoother and run smoother. Did you check the cam position sensor while you in there?

Yes, you have to remove the tone wheel or trigger depending on what you want to call it. Then re-set to to the marks. Not really checking the actual sensor but setting it's trigger. Don't think it is too sophisticated of a system really, seems to have only one cam sensor, un like most engines to day that have one for each cam shaft.

Back