• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lumpy tires

plehman

This is about a 1997 R850R. I've had it for about 4,000 miles and have noticed the tires wearing in a sort of lumpy manner. That is, if you run your hand over the tread in the direction of travel (both front and rear) you can feel high and low spots. I'm starting to feel it as I ride. Michelin Pilot tires. Pressure as per owner's manual.

Question is: does this sound like typical wear? Or does it come from something going on in the suspension? Seems like once this starts it will cause the tires to wear out fast.

Thanks all.

-Peter

Sounds like you are getting cupping. If you are running the pressure at recommended pressure or at the tire max you might need new shocks or increase the rebound dampening. I had the same thing when I put a new set of Ohlins on and the rebound was way off. This destroyed the tires in 4k miles; also the bike was very bouncy. After tuning them in I just replace my tires at 12k miles and no cupping.

Cupping

This is about a 1997 R850R. I've had it for about 4,000 miles and have noticed the tires wearing in a sort of lumpy manner. That is, if you run your hand over the tread in the direction of travel (both front and rear) you can feel high and low spots. I'm starting to feel it as I ride. Michelin Pilot tires. Pressure as per owner's manual.

Question is: does this sound like typical wear? Or does it come from something going on in the suspension? Seems like once this starts it will cause the tires to wear out fast.

Thanks all.

-Peter

Both of my bikes, the BMW and the Honda, in the last 30% or so of tire life, will cup, but it's only the front tires that do this. I have not experienced the cupping effect on the rear tires. I use Metzler tires exclusively. :thumb

The Bridgestone 020 front on my '06RT does the same. It starts cupping on the left side of the tire beginning in the last 15% of tread. I've since gone to a Pilot Road in the hope of alleviating that problem and getting longer tread life.

Tom

Back