• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Low lever after brake recall performed on 2020 R1250RT?

rabbitgtibbar

Had the recall performed yesterday, and even as I was getting onto the bike the brake lever seemed too soft (I squeeze it as I get on). It went nearly all the way to the grip. I went back inside and asked the service manager, who had the tech come out who explained that was because I had the knob “turned all the way to 1”.

“Well yes, that’s where I like it. And the lever engages much further than it did before when it was set to 1.”

“Well, I bled it.🤷🏻*♂️ I had to turn it to 4, but I put it back to 1 because that's where you had it.”

So, I’ve set it to 4, but I still feel like it engages lower than before.

I guess what I’m asking is, did anyone else feel like the brake lever engages lower after having the recall performed? Is it possible the new calipers have a larger volume, and since the master cylinder is the same, it now requires more lever travel to engage the brakes? Or do I have to ride an hour+ again and go back to the dealer to have them bled/looked at again? Or, having done it many times before on cars, is this (bleeding the front brakes) something I could tackle at home, if you all think that might be the issue?

/I tried to search the forums and see if this topic has come up before, but couldn’t get any results. Sorry if it has.

It seems to me that if the recall was needed because a federal entity mandated that BMW perform it, then the brakes need to function properly. You should have made them get it right before leaving. It does not matter what the lever setting was, the brakes need to work. Period.

The reservoir for the hand brake on 2019-2020 RT is the same for the 2014-2018 RT, which had Brembo calipers on the front. p/n 32728559604 There should be no difference in use between the different calipers as they would have switched out the reservoir if that was the case. Maybe they should set the dial to 1 and get the lever travel correct.

Not only will you have that hour + ride back, but you would need them to prioritize you in their busy schedule. Factor that in to your decision as well as what if you cannot resolve it on your own.

I am scheduled to take my '19 RT in for the recall about 2 weeks from now. I had no leaking so there was no hurry in getting them done. Something for me to look for. Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck!

Air remaining in line. Someone needs to bleed them AGAIN! Give it a go, it is a pretty simple process, especially to avoid all the hassle of returning to dealer who apparently can’t do it correctly. BTW, did overnight’s possible bubbling up make the pull any better?

...I guess what I’m asking is, did anyone else feel like the brake lever engages lower after having the recall performed? ...

I have a 2017 RT with Brembo brakes, and also a 2019 on which the recall has been performed. And I can speak to your question because I specifically noted that my 2017 with ~28k miles on the brakes has a bit of play in the front brakes, but the 2019 with 12k miles (6k after the switch to Brembo) has almost no slack. I actually noticed the difference as I swapped bikes -- that I needed to be gentle with my 2019 because the front brakes had so little freeplay, and would actuate so strongly, compared to my 2017.

And it made me think that my 2017 needed bleeding. I did a thorough brake bleeding on the 2017, and found that it improved very slightly if at all. And actually, I kind of like having a more gradual force actuation.

In any case, if you have a lot of freeplay in your front brakes after the recall, there is a problem. And you bike should be repaired under warranty.

Cap

Thanks, all. I’ll bleed them myself and see if that improves anything, then report back.

Any recommendations on brake fluid I should use?

Had the recall performed yesterday, and even as I was getting onto the bike the brake lever seemed too soft (I squeeze it as I get on). It went nearly all the way to the grip. I went back inside and asked the service manager, who had the tech come out who explained that was because I had the knob “turned all the way to 1”.

“Well yes, that’s where I like it. And the lever engages much further than it did before when it was set to 1.”

“Well, I bled it.🤷🏻*♂️ I had to turn it to 4, but I put it back to 1 because that's where you had it.”

So, I’ve set it to 4, but I still feel like it engages lower than before.

I guess what I’m asking is, did anyone else feel like the brake lever engages lower after having the recall performed? Is it possible the new calipers have a larger volume, and since the master cylinder is the same, it now requires more lever travel to engage the brakes? Or do I have to ride an hour+ again and go back to the dealer to have them bled/looked at again? Or, having done it many times before on cars, is this (bleeding the front brakes) something I could tackle at home, if you all think that might be the issue?

/I tried to search the forums and see if this topic has come up before, but couldn’t get any results. Sorry if it has.

Just happened to me. Dealer replaced mine even though Brembos were on there from day one (said they gave me the newest version). Strap the lever to the grip for a few hours. Tried that before re-bleeding and it was fine

Back