• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75RT - tire time again

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

I've a 94 K75RT and the last few years have been pretty happy with the Shinko 230 tires, they handle well and last a good long time. I seem to get around 12k out of a rear tire which is what I unfortunately average in a year these days, only real negative is they sure seem to take a lot of lead to balance out correctly.

I was on motorcycle superstore when I noticed the Pirelli Sport Demon for not a whole lot more and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I am not an aggressive rider and though I do occasionally enjoy the twists and turns, most of my riding is gentle back roads with long sweepers. My biggest concerns I guess would be good manners over less then ideal road surfaces, stable with no wandering at highway speed, and good wet and under braking. May be a bit sacreligous but I am not a fan of the Metzelers, the Avons i tried cupped almost immediately, and my last set of Bridgestones wore terribly with poor grip, and were what drove me to the (much better IMO) Shinkos.

Any tire thoughts would sure be welcomed.

I use Michelin Pilot Activ and have been quite happy with them.

Had a set of these installed last week. I only have a thousand kilometres on them and so far very pleased with the ride. First set of these so I don't know yet how they'll compare to the Metzler's Marathon 880s, but I'm hoping they'll last about the same mileage.

Had a set of these installed last week. I only have a thousand kilometres on them and so far very pleased with the ride. First set of these so I don't know yet how they'll compare to the Metzler's Marathon 880s, but I'm hoping they'll last about the same mileage.

+3 for the Activ's. i just got a set for my K75S.

Tire mileage

Metzler Lasertec - 8,282
Bridgestone Battleax BT45 – 10,875
Bridgestone Battleax BT45 – 7,903
Michelin Pilot Activ – 13,677
Michelin Pilot Activ - 13,605

To wrap this up, I bought another Shinko 230. I bought from Revzilla because the price was right ($76) and because of the promised fast (free) shipping. I ordered it the afternoon of the 12th and it arrived on the morning of the 14th! I had Khan from EUBMW in Alexandria, Virginia mount and electronically balance it for the flat $45, plus a nice tip for having me in and out in 25-minutes on a Saturday morning, leaving me enough time for a nice ride to break it in before heading home.

Unlike the last one which took a fair amount of weights, this one only took a single 10g weight. In the end it is just a well made, reliable tire that has a long life, grips well, handles predictably and smoothly, and comfortably soaks up the bumps. There are undoubtedly more grippy, better handling or longer lasting ones out there, but this tire fits my riding style quite nicely and the price truly cannot be beat.

My tire choice for old K bikes: Michelin Pilot Road 3s, but wide rear 3 spoke rim &

I like radial Michelin Pilot Road 3s but they require the wide 3 spoke K1100(?) rim in the rear and then make the center stand real "flat on one side," inside, done with sharpie then sawzall then weld plate over the "half pipe" that remains and touch the driveshaft swing arm to grind off the "flashing" or "parting line" between the two parts of the casting molds just in the 1/2" near the widest part of the tire.

I have a K100RS w 184,000 mi and the K75S has 53,000.

Back