• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75C rear 18" drum to 17" disc rear

jawjaboy

Anybody convert a 86 K75C 18" drum rear to a 17" disc rear? If so what parts did you need? Or point me to the direction with links will work.

I've got a 93 K75RT that could serve as a donor.

Thanks

Frank

Frank, it is a fairly straight forward conversion.

You will need:

A disc brake final drive, rotor, and caliper with pads. Be aware of the condition of the splines. Worn final drive splines will wear out the driveshaft splines quicker.

A 17” rear wheel and tire.

A right side peg plate with disc brake pedal, brake switch, master cylinder, rear reservoir, and hose.

Everything is just a bolt on. There are a few different rear gear ratios. The K100 ratios are taller. Ideally, you want the lower 32:10 ratio (stamped on the top of the final drive just behind the swingarm parting line) for better acceleration and hill climbing with the lower horsepower 750cc motor.

Ballpark prices on fleabay are around $500 (minus the tire).
Since you have a donor, you are good to go, as long as the condition is good. If the RT is an ABS bike, different brake lines would be needed to go straight from the rear master cylinder straight to the rear caliper.

I had a C for a short period, that had been converted, that I flipped. WAY better choice than trying to source drum brake parts for a repair!

:dance :dance :dance

Last edited:
Back