• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

k1200 lt air filter change help?

slatefish

hello everyone for the next 30 minutes I am taking control of your television, yes you have entered the twighlight zone a place where you have to take practically a whole bike apart to change an air filter how did I get here,how can I return , who can help? if there is anybody (and I mean any buddy) who lives in mass that can help with fuel tank removal to replace aforementioned air filter please contact me. bartering,dickering , trade for time, (master carpenter 40 yrs exp ) you name it thanks for your time scott ps you can have your tv back now !

I've never changed the air filter on a LT, but have done it several times on the K1200RSs we used to own. I'm guessing the air filter on the LT is in the same location as the RS.
If you decide to tackle the job yourself, I have a few pictures that may help.
Keep in mind all the labels on my pictures may not pertain to your filter change.

After you remove all the LT tupperware, I'm guessing that's a chore :), you need to remove the back two tank bolts.
Get your hand in there and catch the metal spacer that may drop out.
Here's a picture of the tank bolts.

stud_and_tank_bolts.JPG

There are two bolts at the front of the tank you do not need to remove.
The tank will lift from the back and slide back without removing those front bolts.

Before removing the tank you need to remove the vent lines, disconnect the fuel line quick disconnects and the electrical connections for the fuel sensor and fuel pump.
Here's a picture for the connections.
vent_lines1.jpg

Once the tank is removed there's a small rectangular plastic cover you need to remove to access the filter.
Here's the filter part way out. The red circle shows the front tank bolts I mentioned earlier.
Front_mount.JPG

As you can see I'm not a very good tech writer :), but the pictures may help, and hopefully another member will fill in the blanks.

air filter k 1200

hi guys, thanks to you all who replied I am grateful to be here with all of you , after reading Clymer for the 12th time I came to the conclusion that my model and year had the quick disconnect fitting on the fuel lines , that was all that stood in the way as its a pressurized system and the last thing I needed was to have a gas leak in the barn with a wood stove for heat , all is well the air filter is installed. will hard wire the gps to free up the plug for a heated vest and I'm good to go keep the shiny up and the not so dirty down, I LOVE THIS BIKE can not wait for spring, the next time the roads are free of salt and sand I will be out there, as you already know I am already out there! scott special thanks to debbies servant for the pics, I as well am a servant to my better half or at least that's what they tell me!

Good to hear you got the job done. While the tupperware is off, make sure the OEM plastic quick disconnects have been replaced with metal ones. The plastic ones have a history of cracking and leaking fuel.
The plastic ones are black and the metal ones are silver. My top picture shows the plastic OEM QDs and the picture below shows metal QDs from Beemerboneyard.
If you changes these, save one of the plastic ends as you can use it in the future to drain the tank without spilling any fuel.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

IMG_0095.jpg

Last edited:
lee,
Great idea on keeping the old QD's for use to drain the tank. I always tryed to siphon the gas out which usually left a bad taste in my mouth....

k 1200 air filter

View attachment 48332
Good to hear you got the job done. While the tupperware is off, make sure the OEM plastic quick disconnects have been replaced with metal ones. The plastic ones have a history of cracking and leaking fuel.
The plastic ones are black and the metal ones are silver. My top picture shows the plastic OEM QDs and the picture below shows metal QDs from Beemerboneyard.
If you changes these, save one of the plastic ends as you can use it in the future to drain the tank without spilling any fuel.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

IMG_0095.jpg

well that explains what the hell happened when I was re-installing the fuel tank one went together without a hitch ,while the next broke and ruined what could have been a wonderful afternoon of wrenching

Look at the bright side; it beats having it happen 600 miles from home! That would ruin more than an afternoon.

:dance:dance:dance

Look at the bright side; it beats having it happen 600 miles from home! That would ruin more than an afternoon.

:dance:dance:dance

Here's 400 miles from home. :)

IMG_0002.jpg

We were on the Missouri/Arkansas line, running out of daylight, with a tornado watch in effect.
This was October and I had planned to change the QDs on both bikes in the winter. Just in case one broke before winter I had a new QD in the tank bag.
The bike in the picture is my wife's bike. When we returned home I changed out the QDs on my bike and one of them broke when I barely touched it. I happened to have a 5 gal. bucket close by and caught most of the gas.

oh my god lee, well at least you had bud there to help out with morale, wish you both all the best, we are expecting 2-3 feet of the white stuff starting tonight and ending when it feels like it go pats scott

oh my god lee, well at least you had bud there to help out with morale, wish you both all the best,

After fueling the bikes, I pulled up to the store to buy beer since we were headed to a dry county for the next week. When my wife got off her bike, she told me someone must have spilled gas at the pumps because she could smell gas. I looked back at the pumps and didn't see any puddles, then checked my bike for leaks, and when I checked her bike I pointed out that her bike was leaking gas.
This kind of scared her and asked what I planned to do.
I turned around and told her I was going to buy beer :)
Latter she told me she relaxed at that point and figured it must not be a big deal and I knew how to fix it.
The only bad thing is I don't like lite beer, but you take what you can get when your in Arkansas :)

Good luck with the big snow.

Mine let go while riding, as well. A cage driver warned me at the light at the bottom of the offramp that my radiator was spewing coolant out the side......that, unfortunately was fuel. But fortunately out the little triangle opening in the RS fairing and not towards the engine. I was also fortunate to be just across the street from an auto-parts store! The right leg of my 'Stitch and my boot were pretty well impregnated with fuel, but after replacing both QDs with poly tubes as a temporary measure (in the unshaded parking lot in 100+ temps), I was back on my way. A LEO passed by and stared, but seeing I had all the Tupperware laid out neatly and seemed to know what I was doing, he just waved and went on his way. But had the driver not warned me, I may have been in for a real problem in two ways....I was soon going to be a LONG way from a fuel station and I was spraying fuel out faster than burning it, and more troubling was the possibility of any of that fuel igniting on the exhaust....

k 1200 lt

lee, I want to thank you for telling me of beemer boneyard , jim was very helpful and I had the parts in two days with all the snow and****##### when he asked how I heard of them I told him of your recommendation on moa website put the qd's on tonight in my bath robe, going to get a chilled martini out of the freezer and chill with the mrs. have a great nite, scott

Sorry I missed your post until now

hello everyone for the next 30 minutes I am taking control of your television, yes you have entered the twighlight zone a place where you have to take practically a whole bike apart to change an air filter how did I get here,how can I return , who can help? if there is anybody (and I mean any buddy) who lives in mass that can help with fuel tank removal to replace aforementioned air filter please contact me. bartering,dickering , trade for time, (master carpenter 40 yrs exp ) you name it thanks for your time scott ps you can have your tv back now !

Sounds like you have resolved your issue if I had seen your post a few days ago I could have drove over to help. I am just a few miles away in Chelmsford. I hang out on the BMWLT.com forum mostly and check in here every now and then. I if you need any help in the future look me up I am in the phone book, think I am the only John Baker in Chelmsford.

air filter

hey I told you guys I was out there, your from California you should be acclimated to such things I just had to get em on asap they were telling me to do it! scotty boy aka fishman

air filter

hi john thanks for the offer to help, went on the site you mentioned and will sign up as well ,are you with yankeebeemers?, I just joined up with them last week, btw bonnie is up and running and awaiting spring and the rides and good fellowship I am sure awaits us , scott

Back