• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1100 Fuel Smell

rkildu

A while back I began noticing a fuel smell, expecially on hot days. I checked all of the conections and found no sign of leakage. Assuming that the only thing left was the fuel cap seals, I replaced them too. I was still smelling fuel.

While at the National, I attended one of Paul Glaves' seminars. I asked him about the problem. He thought it was in the venting system. I mentioned that I had installed one of those fuel cup things when I removed the check valve and the vent line to the crank case. He then said it was probably that the cup was not sealing against the bottom of the tank and recommended I remove it and put direct vent hoses back.

He was right! Since I made that change the smell has dissapeared. If any of you have made the 'cup' modofication and occasionally smell fuel you might try removing it for a while. I got an appriopriately sized "Y" vacuum fitting and joined two short lines under the tank into one vent line.

Rod

Back