• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just trying to make sure I am not insane.

So what is the thinking on what the Techron is acting on that makes the problem go away?

Fuel Injector?

Fuel Pump?

Fuel Pressure Regulator/ Filter?

I vote for the Fuel Pump. (I changed my fuel pump out for one of those $20.00 e-bay units and the problem went away - but who knows)

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life
Hard to say. The new gas sorta looks like lightly colored water and I almost think it has no lubrication properties to the point of being a "super cleaner" and doesn't remove the crud. The Techron helps to break it up and let it pass through. The old TW200 gets some Mystery Oil from time to time along with the Techron- and it helps.
I use Techron, GumOut, and SeaFoam- depending on what kind of trouble I have with my engines. The engines seem to have a different "tolerance" to the fuel used. The 104 octane- no ethanol, VP racing fuel I used to "over winter" some of the engines is the best fuel I've run in a long time :gerg
OM

Even if you get the stalling sorted out with a battery you still might be insane. The only way we can figure that out is if you answer these questions correctly.

1) why kind of oil do you use?
2) how exactly do you check the level?
3) what do you think about lane splitting?
No on 1&2 yes on 3.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So what is the thinking on what the Techron is acting on that makes the problem go away?

Fuel Injector?

Fuel Pump?

Fuel Pressure Regulator/ Filter?

I vote for the Fuel Pump. (I changed my fuel pump out for one of those $20.00 e-bay units and the problem went away - but who knows)

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life
I don't think the Techron has any influence. It is an electronic issue that is intermittent. If it goes away it's because it is intermittent not because Techron is added.

I don't think the Techron has any influence. It is an electronic issue that is intermittent. If it goes away it's because it is intermittent not because Techron is added.

I tend to agree but my limited testing of the issue is ongoing. I vote for the fuel pump.

BMW swapped out the fuel pump with carrier ($450) at 9k and the problem went away. The problem came back at 28k and they balked at doing it again. I played with some used parts to see if I could make it go away thinking it may be something else. Stick coils, throttle body with throttle position sensor, fuel filter/ pressure regulator and ECU. Still had the problem. Finally had all the stock parts back on it and I bought one of those $20 fuel pumps off e-bay (no carrier just fuel pump) and the problem went away. I only have 6k on the new fuel pump so I think it will be next year that I get enough miles on it to see (Michigan weather). Its a little over 35k right now. Really running great.

To complicate things and in the interest of full disclosure I had a small auxiliary fuel cell hooked up to the vent tube with the auxiliary tank vented during the life of the first fuel pump. During the second fuel pump for a short period I was feeding fuel into the the low pressure fuel pump return tube. Everything else was pretty much stock except for non engine farkles like a lithium iron battery and driving lights. Another rider from my area with the identical bike, no accessories, less than 1k mileage was experiencing the same issues. The problem could have been exasperated by my auxiliary fuel antics but that goes out the window when the other low mileage unmodified bike has the same problem in detail. BMW and/or the dealer got him onto another model.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Even if you get the stalling sorted out with a battery you still might be insane. The only way we can figure that out is if you answer these questions correctly.

1) what kind of oil do you use?
2) how exactly do you check the level?
3) what do you think about lane splitting?

Tires. You forgot Tires. Obviously the problem here...

:wave

No your not insane

Did you receive the recall notice? The idle/stall issue is a recurring problem with 2014 and 2016 G650GS. I had my '14 serviced and still having issues. Please report to BMW Mottorad and NHTSA

The original recall NHTSA recall number is 15V57000 If you are still having this issue please contact NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/ Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153

AND

Please contact BMW Motorrad US Corp., 800-831-1117

How may others have had this re-occurring issue?

Have you contacted BMW Motorrad US Corp.?

Had mine done by the dealer (software change). I've put few thousand miles on it since, and seems to have taken care of the problem. 2014 G650GS.

No your not insane 650GS stalling

The recall was to reset the ECU and check the fuel injector to make sure the screws were tight. after it stalled again they re-did all the steps again. Ran okay for a few months with only minor and occasional stalling 2 instances. Then Tuesday 02/09 the stalling happened as I came to a light and then at every light on the way home. Shut the engine off as described above nothing still would not run without twisting the throttle a bit. Since the bike is still under warranty I had BMW pay for the towing. Tried to start it Wed morning 02/10 when the tow truck driver arrived, nothing wouldn't start. Wanted to stay that way to the shop. Called this afternoon, no updates and no bike heading into the weekend. Dealer only gives out lame scooters for loaners, those things scare the sheepdip out of me.

For those that are still having the recurring stalling issue please call BMW Corporate and ask the speak one of the managers. Call your dealer, have them but out a bulletin so this can be fixed.

Mine used to stall. I reset the motronix (disconnecting it from the battery) and replaced the spark plug with an iridium one like Kurt mentioned in his video. It hasn't stalled since. 2001 F650GS. If your bike falls within the recall, by all means have the dealership take care of it.

In conclusion for my 2014 idle stalling issue

I had BMW tow the bike to the dealer as it was still under warranty. They had it for a week, finally the Oregon rain stopped and the mechanic rode the bike home with tools. So the throttle was out of adjustment, and came it that way from the factory, running rough on idle and a hesitation around 3-3500 rpm. Bike now runs smoother than ever at all rpm levels. Fingers crossed the stalling issue is gone!

Awesome. I'm really glad you got the bike sorted out. These things happen. I hope all it is smooth sailing from here.

Back