• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just trying to make sure I am not insane.

johncanty

So I was out riding yesterday, not too far from home ~15 miles or so. Came to a stop at a gas station to grab a bottle of water. Started the bike up (2014 G650GS) and it stalled immediately. The bike has done this to me a couple of times since I have purchased it and I have read up on the issue of needing a Tesla roadster battery to keep this particular bike from doing that on occasion. So yesterday was particularly bad as I could not seem to get the battery charged, I had to ride it all the way home stalling at every stop.

I am under the impression I need a new battery. I purchased a 14AH battery (going to try to shoe horn that beast in there) and will replace it in a week when I arrive back home. Has anyone else run into these similar symptoms and had it be something other than the battery?

Regards,

John

A 2014? Why aren't you taking it back to the dealer?

Either the battery has failed prematurely (not an unknown occurrence for BMW) or the charging system is not performing as it should. Odds are it is the battery running on only 5 of its 6 cells. I would be looking for the dealer to conduct a load test, and if appropriate declare the battery dead and install a new one.

Even if you get the stalling sorted out with a battery you still might be insane. The only way we can figure that out is if you answer these questions correctly.

1) what kind of oil do you use?
2) how exactly do you check the level?
3) what do you think about lane splitting?

Last edited:
Even if you get the stalling sorted out with a battery you still might be insane. The only way we can figure that out is if you answer these questions correctly.

1) what kind of oil do you use?

Wait a minute. I think that makes me insane! Duh.

Last edited:
So I was out riding yesterday, not too far from home ~15 miles or so. Came to a stop at a gas station to grab a bottle of water. Started the bike up (2014 G650GS) and it stalled immediately. The bike has done this to me a couple of times since I have purchased it and I have read up on the issue of needing a Tesla roadster battery to keep this particular bike from doing that on occasion. So yesterday was particularly bad as I could not seem to get the battery charged, I had to ride it all the way home stalling at every stop.

I am under the impression I need a new battery. I purchased a 14AH battery (going to try to shoe horn that beast in there) and will replace it in a week when I arrive back home. Has anyone else run into these similar symptoms and had it be something other than the battery?

Regards,

John

John I don't know what your source is on you needing a larger battery but before I did that I would get it back to the dealer to see if that is the problem or not. There has been a recent BMW service notification on G650's concerning stalling stating an August fix is coming. In the meantime they say you should:

"switch off the ignition using the ignition key. Do not use the emergency stop switch, then wait approximately 3 seconds before switching on the ignition again. During the three-second waiting period, the idle controller is er-initialized. If you do not wait three seconds before turning the ignition back on, there is a high probability that the incorrect idle characteristics will immediately occur again upon restarting the engine. If you observe the three-second waiting period, the idle characteristics will be problem-free again after the restart."

They made no mention of waiting after you turn the key on until your dash lights stabilize before starting the bike but that has been mentioned before on one forum or the other.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
Life 71,449

I haven't seen any notification concerning this, but my 2014 G650 GS is doing the exact same thing. It has been driving me crazy, but I figured out the restart on my own (accidently). I also noticed that when it starts acting up you will hear a different idle sound...kinda up & down and then as soon as you slow down or let off the throttle, it goes dead. If you start it right back up, it will happen again, just like stated. Always seem to go dead in the worse places too! like on the side of a steep hill :banghead. I'll get in touch with my dealer right away about the fix. So glad I saw this...I knew this forum was good for something. :laugh

I had a stalling problem last yr on my 2014. Sounded like the above descriptions. It was fixed by re-flashing the controller. No problems since then.
The bike would, occasionally die at a stop. When the problem surfaced it stayed with the bike until I got to work/home/where ever. Later it would be gone. Then a day, a week or a month later it would be back. I took it to the dealer 3 times before they were able to replicate the problem.
As stated above turning the ignition off for a few seconds, would usually clear it. The last time I took it to the dealership I let it stall, but I left the key turned on so they could see it.
The bike ran fine until I would roll off the gas, then it would die.
Re-flash the ECU fixed it about 10 months ago. No repeats since then.

🚍🐉

German Electronics.

I have tried the restart procedure a couple of times the day it has happened. I then parked the bike and flew across the country. So I haven't got a chance to check it after letting is sit for a day. The battery thread is somewhere on ADV rider. From what I saw the electronics in the ECU are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. A dying battery could cause said fluctuations. With an up coming 4000 mile ride ahead of me, I think I will stuff the AGM battery in there and see how it plays out. I know I can keep it running even at stop lights by modifying my riding procedures a bit. We will see how it all turns out.

I may get around to moving the voltage regulator out from under the skid plate next week if I get a chance to before I leave. Keeping a good airflow across that should lower the chance of boiling the acid in the battery.

as a point of reference, the battery that is in the bike now has gone all winter (harsh new england winter) being used to start the bike on days as cold as 0 degrees F without ever seeing a tender in it's life. There is a good chance my lack of maintenance has killed it too.

1) why kind of oil do you use?

1 rotella T
2 I don't check the level, I just add oil until I can't put any more in.
3 lane splitting should only be done by unarmed police officers and heavily intoxicated harley riders

these seem like fairly sane answers, right?

Battery Option

I have tried the restart procedure a couple of times the day it has happened. I then parked the bike and flew across the country. So I haven't got a chance to check it after letting is sit for a day. The battery thread is somewhere on ADV rider. From what I saw the electronics in the ECU are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. A dying battery could cause said fluctuations. With an up coming 4000 mile ride ahead of me, I think I will stuff the AGM battery in there and see how it plays out. I know I can keep it running even at stop lights by modifying my riding procedures a bit. We will see how it all turns out.

I may get around to moving the voltage regulator out from under the skid plate next week if I get a chance to before I leave. Keeping a good airflow across that should lower the chance of boiling the acid in the battery.

as a point of reference, the battery that is in the bike now has gone all winter (harsh new england winter) being used to start the bike on days as cold as 0 degrees F without ever seeing a tender in it's life. There is a good chance my lack of maintenance has killed it too.

I replaced my stock battery with one of these:

http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/

The stock battery is much larger much heavier and spits fluid. The battery tender unit has four cable mounting posts to facilitate mounting cables from different directions. The battery tender unit is sealed and not vented. You can mount in any position. Its unbelievably light and small. I cut a balsa wood spacer so I could use my stock hold down strap. I think the Cold Cranking Amps on the stock battery is 160 (not sure). Battery Tender unit is (need to enter your bike model in the model function) is 240 Cold Cranking Amps.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

I replaced my stock battery with one of these:

http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/

The stock battery is much larger much heavier and spits fluid. The battery tender unit has four cable mounting posts to facilitate mounting cables from different directions. The battery tender unit is sealed and not vented. You can mount in any position. Its unbelievably light and small. I cut a balsa wood spacer so I could use my stock hold down strap. I think the Cold Cranking Amps on the stock battery is 160 (not sure). Battery Tender unit is (need to enter your bike model in the model function) is 240 Cold Cranking Amps.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

This may be something I consider after the (N)everstart AGM quits on me in a year or so :) When you placed your battery / balsa wood spacer in there, how much extra room did you have. I would consider the 480CCA model if i could fit it in. I like to overkill every thing.

Don't know without taking the panels off. The spacer I made was as high as the stock battery so the strap would work.

The stock battery is 5.5"long, 3" wide and 6.25" high so that should be your guide on what will fit in the space.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

The stalling issue on my bike was not battery related. I've had a Shoria battery since I bought the bike. The stalling issue wet away when the dealer re-flashed the ECU.
Yes I agree all Harley riders should lane split while intoxicated, but only if their not wearing a helmet.

🚍🐉

The stalling issue on my bike was not battery related. I've had a Shoria battery since I bought the bike. The stalling issue wet away when the dealer re-flashed the ECU.
Yes I agree all Harley riders should lane split while intoxicated, but only if their not wearing a helmet.

🚍🐉

Aww, bro I used to be a harley rider. We are not all bad, then again I never rode intoxicated. :) I will have to look into the ECU reflash. I believe I can make it across country if the problem goes away with a new battery (maybe disconnecting the power will reset some stuff). Then when I get to the left coast I will stop by San Jose BMW and have them go to town on the reflash.

Aww, bro I used to be a harley rider. We are not all bad, then again I never rode intoxicated. :) I will have to look into the ECU reflash. I believe I can make it across country if the problem goes away with a new battery (maybe disconnecting the power will reset some stuff). Then when I get to the left coast I will stop by San Jose BMW and have them go to town on the reflash.
That should work. My last bike was a Harley. 40k miles with no major problems. Great bike except the suspension.
I have no issues with lead acid batteries. I have only had to replace two three in ~30 yrs of riding. I replaced the one in the Sportster because I wasn't riding it and wanted to make sure it would start. In the GS the dealer gave me the Shorai when I bought it.
I think a lead acid battery in a "dirt" bike is a bad idea. 30 yrs ago that is all there was, but now we have options.
When my starting problem surfaced, which was infrequent, leaving the key off for a minute usually reset it, or as you have probably found out just keep a little gas on at the stops.uploadfromtaptalk1437482086344.jpg

🚍🐉

Good News

That should work. My last bike was a Harley. 40k miles with no major problems. Great bike except the suspension.
I have no issues with lead acid batteries. I have only had to replace two three in ~30 yrs of riding. I replaced the one in the Sportster because I wasn't riding it and wanted to make sure it would start. In the GS the dealer gave me the Shorai when I bought it.
I think a lead acid battery in a "dirt" bike is a bad idea. 30 yrs ago that is all there was, but now we have options.
When my starting problem surfaced, which was infrequent, leaving the key off for a minute usually reset it, or as you have probably found out just keep a little gas on at the stops.View attachment 50938

🚍🐉

Before replacing the battery, I just disconnected it and reconnected it. I started the bike as per usual turn the key to on, wait for all the extra lights to go out, count 3 cycles of the abs light and push the start button. I had to do this twice, then it started right up. I think I will return the wally world (N)ever start battery and get something quality on the other side of the country. A new set of tires, chain and sprockets are in order as well.... I should do it all at once. When I get there I will be forced to do this within a month upon arriving.

I also moved the voltage regulator to the crash bars, zip tied it just behind them in the open air. I an going to avoid most of the off roading in this trip, but will find a better mounting location for it there.

Took the bike into Cambridge, Ma today, and I really have much contempt for my fellow commuters out there. But otherwise survived.

I had the same stalling issue and it wasn't my battery, but my fuel injection. I had the BMW checked by the dealer, and bought a fuel injector cleaner. I put it in the gas tank, lo and behold the problem went away for awhile. I didn't put the injector cleaner for several gas fills. The motorcycle started doing it again, I put the cleaner in the gas tank, and the stalling went away.

I had the same stalling issue and it wasn't my battery, but my fuel injection. I had the BMW checked by the dealer, and bought a fuel injector cleaner. I put it in the gas tank, lo and behold the problem went away for awhile. I didn't put the injector cleaner for several gas fills. The motorcycle started doing it again, I put the cleaner in the gas tank, and the stalling went away.
Yep. BMW re-brands Techron. Regular treatment seems to really help.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Yep. BMW re-brands Techron. Regular treatment seems to really help.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

So what is the thinking on what the Techron is acting on that makes the problem go away?

Fuel Injector?

Fuel Pump?

Fuel Pressure Regulator/ Filter?

I vote for the Fuel Pump. (I changed my fuel pump out for one of those $20.00 e-bay units and the problem went away - but who knows)

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

Back